This Better Than Sex Cake is hands down one of the best chocolate cake recipes. Gooey chocolate cake layered with sweetened condensed milk, caramel, whipped cream and chopped candy bars on top. Such a simple cake to prepare that starts with a cake mix. A true winner!
Table of Contents
Better Than Sex Cake Recipe
This Better Than Sex Cake also known as “Better Than Anything” Cake and sometimes “BTS” Cake, has been one of our family favorite celebration cake recipes for years. It’s requested for birthdays, holidays, you name it, this gooey chocolate cake recipe is hard to resist!
What You’ll Need To Make Better Than Anything Cake
Let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make BTS cake. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full instructions.
- Devils Food Cake Mix– Find devils food cake mix in the baking isle of the grocery store. You can use regular chocolate cake too.
- Eggs– For consistency, use large eggs for my cooking and baking recipes.
- Canola Oil– Canola oil is used when making the cake mix.
- Caramel Sauce– Use your favorite prepared caramel sauce for the recipe.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk– Sweetened condensed milk is a sweet milk that’s thick like caramel. Find it in the baking section of the grocery store.
- Cool Whip– Find Cool Whip in the freezer section near the ice cream and frozen fruit. Make sure to thaw cool whip in the refrigerator for a good 3 hours before frosting over cake.
- Nestle Crunch Bars– Nestle Crunch Bars can be found in the candy section of the grocery store. You can use a number of candy bars on top of the cake. Heath Bars are probably most popular. My family loves Crunch Bars.
How To Make Better Than Sex Cake
- Prepare Cake Mix. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Prepare Devil’s Food Cake according to package directions. Use a 9 x 13 inch pan and follow baking instructions for that size pan.
2. Bake The Cake. Bake the cake at 350 degrees F. for 28-30 minutes or until toothpick comes clean from center of cake. Carefully remove from oven.
3. Poke Holes In Cake. While cake is still warm, use the bottom of a round wooden spoon to poke holes into cake. Note- Spray bottom of wooden spoon with cooking spray to help cake from sticking. Every few holes, I wipe clean and re-spray with cooking spray. The middle of the cake sticks the most.
4. Sweetened Condensed Milk Layer. After holes have been poked in cake, pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over chocolate cake while it’s still warm.
5. Caramel Layer. After sweetened condensed milk layer, pour caramel sauce evenly over top. Trader Joe’s has a great salted caramel sauce or check the caramel sauce at the grocery store near the ice cream toppings. Works just fine too. If your caramel is too thick to drizzle, remove lid and warm in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.
Can I Substitute The Candy Bar Topping?
Yes, use a variety of different toppings for your BTS Cake such as chopped Heath Bars, chopped Snickers Bars, chopped Kit Kat Bars and even crushed Oreo Cookies would be great. Nestle Crunch Bars have been our favorite over the years, but use what your family loves.
6. Frost The Cake. Once your cake that’s been layered with sweetened condensed milk and caramel has cooled and the Cool Whip has been thawed in the refrigerator, it’s time to frost the cake. Place dollops of Cool Whip over cake and gently frost over entire cake.
7. Add Candy Bar Topping. Once cake has been frosted with Cool Whip, add your chopped candy bar pieces evenly over cake. Cover and refrigerate cake until ready to serve.
Recipe Tips For Success
- Make sure you leave a good 3 hours to thaw your Cool Whip in the refrigerator before frosting cake.
- You can make the devils food cake a day in advance to save some time the day you need the cake.
- When poking holes in the warm cake, spray the round end of your wooden spoon with cooking spray and wipe round end every few holes poked to keep cake from sticking.
- You can use a fork to pierce holes in the cake for smaller holes, I prefer the end of the wooden spoon, but either is fine.
- When poking holes into cake, don’t press too hard, you don’t want holes to reach the bottom of pan. This will prevent sweet milk and caramel from leaking to bottom of cake.
- Switch up the candy bar topping, use whatever your family and friends enjoy! Crushed Heath Bars, Snickers Bars, Kit Kat and crushed Oreo Cookies are delicious over top too.
How To Serve Better Than Anything Cake
Serve the cake cold, cut into squares for your guests. It’s a very popular cake to make for birthdays, Holidays and really any occasion where cake is needed. It’s easy to transport and is a favorite among guests.
How To Store Leftovers
Store any leftover BTS cake, covered with foil or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For any leftovers you would like to freeze, store in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw before enjoying again.
You Might Also Love
- Easy Ding Dong Cake Recipe
- The Best Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
- The Best Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake Recipe
Better Than Sex Cake
- 9 x 13 inch baking dish
- mixing bowl or stand mixer
- rubber spatula
- measuring cups
- mixing spoons
- end of wooden spoon to poke holes into cake
- offset spatula to spread Cool Whip Topping
- sharp knife to cut cake into squares
- 1 box Devils Food Cake Mix 9 x 13 inch size
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 11 ounce jar prepared caramel sauce
- 8 ounce tub of Cool Whip thawed
- 2 cups chopped Nestle Crunch Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place cake mix, eggs, water and oil into a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Beat for 2 minutes or until cake is well combined. Pour cake batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 28-30 minutes or until cake is cooked through. A toothpick should come mostly clean when poked in the center.
- While cake is still warm, use the end of a wooden spoon, spray it with cooking spray and poke holes about an inch apart into the cake. Use a napkin or paper towel to wipe off any cake pieces that come up. Spray end of wooden spoon with cooking spray as needed to prevent sticking.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over cake with holes then pour caramel evenly over top. Let cake cool completely before adding Cool Whip.
- Before serving, top cake evenly with Cool Whip and chopped Nestle Crunch Bars, or whatever candy bar you would like. Cut into squares and serve cold.