Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Mar
2011

Mexi-Chicken Campanelle Dinner

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

It’s about time we talk dinner around here!  I’ve been baking so much I think cookies are coming out of my ears!  Who am I kidding, I’ll probably be baking something else very soon, but until then….

I am thrilled to share this simple weeknight dinner that the entire family is going to love.  Campanelle pasta is nestled in a creamy salsa sauce topped with gorgeous roasted chicken breast slices that have been rubbed with just the right McCormick Gourmet Seasonings :)

No doubt, y’all are going to love this one.  Enjoy.

Here’s your line up of ingredients.

The stars of the rub for your chicken breast.

Wait until you smell this….smoky and delicious!

Give it a good stir and you are ready.

Sprinkle then rub over your chicken breast.

Brown both sides of your chicken in a large Dutch oven or pot, about 6 minutes per side :)

Finish cooking for about 25 minutes in a 350 degree F. oven.

Time to prepare your creamy salsa sauce :)

I love this pasta, but feel free to use whatever you have in the pantry.

Give a good stir.

Just wait until you sink your teeth into this chicken.  Slice it up and top over nice bowls of creamy pasta.

You’ll have a little something like this :)  Enjoy!

Mexi-Chicken Campanelle Dinner

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 cup finely chopped sweet peppers

1 1/2 cups Salsa Verde, mild

1 cup petite diced tomatoes from can

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.  Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and run under cold water to stop cooking.

3.  Place ancho pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper into a small bowl, stirring to combine.  Sprinkle over both sides of chicken, then rub.  Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.  Add chicken cooking until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes each side.  Place pot in oven and continue cooking for 25 minutes.

4.  While chicken is cooking heat 2 tablespoons oil in another Dutch oven or medium pot over medium heat.  Add onions, garlic and sweet peppers, cooking and stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add salsa, tomatoes, cream and cilantro, stirring to combine.  Add cooled pasta back to original large pot and pour sauce over top, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to low, stirring often.

5.  When chicken is cooked through, remove and let rest for 5 minutes.  Cut into slices.  Spoon pasta in serving bowls and top with slices of chicken breast.  Garnish with a sprig of cilantro if desired.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

_____________________________________

*Disclaimer: I am part of the McCormick Real Gourmet Blogger Program and am being
compensated however the thoughts and recipe are my very own.

Have a great rest of your week and weekend, see you soon!

Comments

Misty says:

This reminds me of something I would see at Noodles & Company. So yummy looking, I know my three boys would love this!

That chicken looks absolutely perfect. Love this idea.

This combines so many of my favorite things!
    Smokey flavors, fun pasta shapes, salsa verde, and using my dutch oven!

Jenny, it looks perfect. And I don’t even eat meat :)

And congrats on your Babble award/mention. You are always Top 100 in my book!! :)

Such a fabulous, easy to prepare meal.

Katrina says:

This looks like the perfect dinner! Awesome idea.

i never make chicken with the skin on, and after this post i think that needs to change. there’s SO much flavor when the skin gets invited to the party!

skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts are the BEST! So delicious.

And we are addicted to smoked paprika and ancho chile powder – we both get antsy if the bottles are getting low :)

My husband would love this!

Jenny, this is the perfect family meal! Love all those spices in this pasta dish :) Such tempting photos too.

Yum! Looks colorful and delicious!

This looks SCRUMPTIOUS! My mouth is watering! Definitely adding this one to the “must try” list! :)

Perfect for something different, it looks totally delish!

Kim says:

Oh man, just when I have the menu all planned for next week, I see this! It looks amazing! I’m going to have to make this next week. LOVE your recipes! Thanks!

Kathy says:

Really looking forward to trying this amazing looking dish.

Meghan says:

I am so excited to try this! You can never have too many pasta and chicken recipes!

This looks wonderful, Jenny! Your chicken is cooked just perfectly. This is going on next week’s menu!

You have proven chicken doesn’t have to be boring—a dish the whole family will be happy to see arrive at the dinner table!

Briana says:

What I love about this recipe (other than the fact it looks delicious!) is that I have all ingredients on hand! Thanks for sharing; I can’t wait to try it!

EatLiveRun says:

my mouth is watering–the chicken looks great, but that pasta and creamy sauce is calling my name! What a fun dinner!

Love quick pasta dinners! The flavor combos here look fabulous!

Tracy says:

I bet this would be really good if you were to substitute some cream cheese for the heavy cream. I think I’m going to have to try it!

Nicole says:

This recipe looks heavenly! Thanks for all the great tips & recipes. I thoroughly enjoy your blog.

Oh yeah, skin on and bone…that’s where all the important vitamins and minerals are! Mmmmm, looks good!

Kelli says:

1/4 tsp Paprika too? It isn’t listed in the recipe, but it’ in the pictures :) This looks GREAT!!!

My first thought when I saw this was “What?! No dessert?!” This looks scrumptious! Thanks!

Katie M says:

This looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try it.

Christina says:

I’m always looking for a new chicken dish. Love this, will definitely try!

This sounds really good, but I can’t bring myself to cook chicken on a bone!

This looks amazing! I’ve been needing a new chicken recipe so this is great!!

Merut says:

Creamy pasta is always delicious! I love your pictures – very detailed and colorful. This definitely looks like a recipe I could be making soon. Thanks!

Amanda says:

Gorgeous! Love this colorful pasta dish :) We are having this this weekend :)

Sara says:

Where did you find the pasta? I’ve been looking everywhere for it with no luck… :( I usually shop at publix but I didn’t see it there.
    Thanks! :)

I have to admit that I have a slight obsession with McCormick spices… they are so yummy! This chicken looks great and those noodles looks so fun, like little lasagna noodles! YUM!

Tracy says:

This sounds wonderful, yum!

Chelsea says:

I LOVE the idea of a creamy salsa sauce! This will definitely be a dinner this week!

So much flavor in one dish. My family would love this.

Tiffany says:

My husband and I made this dish today and it was absolutely delicious! We had to use rigatoni because the pasta the recipe called for was not available at our grocery but it was still really good. We will definitely use this combination of seasonings again for other dishes. The ancho chile pepper was new to us but will now be a staple in our kitchen.

becca says:

I made this tonight with a couple of subs so I didn’t have to go shopping. I thought it was great. My hubby and stepson loved it too. My 12 year old daughter, not so much – but she isn’t out of the picky stage yet. The house still smells spicy and good!

[...] made Picky Palate’s Mexi-Chicken Campanelle Bow Tie Dinner (WP is not letting me share the link, [...]

Erin A. says:

This looks divine! MUST TRY! Always looking for new chicken dishes! I’ve got a great chicken pot pie recipe, great chicken spaghetti recipe, chicken piccata etc, but this looks like what is missing! Cant wait to try

Always, always, ALWAYS looking for new things to do w/ chicken. Looks great!

Courtney says:

This looked great, so I made it last night, and was surprised to find the pasta sauce a bit bland. Any suggestions to give it more flavor?

I am making this tonight and so far is to DELISH! I can’t wait for the chicken to get out of the oven! I actually doubled the spices and added a little salt to the sauce. I think its gonna be good!!!

Oh and I couldn’t find that pasta so I used spiral. AND I glazed the pan with white wine and poured it over the chicken before putting it in the oven. :D

[...] Mexi-Chicken Campanelle Dinner Turkey Panini’s with Tomatoes, Provolone, Avocado, and Basil Pesto Pan Seared Salmon & Rice Cheesy Chicken, Bacon & Avocado Quesadillas Antipasto Squares [...]

Michelle says:

My husband and I are low carbing, so I had to change this up a bit, but it was DELICIOUS. I skipped the pasta and the sauteed veggies, and I added some shredded Mexican cheese blend at the end. I also used boneless, skinless chicken thighs b/c it’s what I had on hand, so when they were done cooking, I just diced it up and poured the sauce over, and it was kind of like a zesty soup. The whole family loved it! In fact, my daughter is taking some of the sauce plain (we ran out of chicken!) in her lunch tomorrow b/c she enjoyed it so much. And I’m planning on mixing up some of this seasoning blend just to use for making zesty chicken and steak in the future.

Thank you so much for this!

This dish was absolutely wonderful, Jenny! I made it for dinner tonight and we all loved it. The rub for the chicken was especially delicious – I need to try that on a whole roasted bird soon.

Jody says:

Jenni-
    I’ve been following your recipes for several years now and I don’t think I’ve ever taken the time to write a response. This dish….is incredible! I’ve made it twice for my family in the past 7 days. Tonight I used whole wheat angels hair and it is fabulous. Your hot chocolate brownie recipe is to die for as well. Thanks for sharing our talents!

Misty says:

SO Tasty! Made it last night and it was HIT! Thanks!

[...] couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a recipe that sounded absolutely delicious.  The problem, of course, is that it’s supposed to be served over pasta, which is kinda out [...]

Amanda says:

Hey girl! We had this for dinner the other night and it was incredible. Loved every bit of it! :)