Mar
2011

Green Velvet Baby Cakes!

Desserts

Here’s a blast from the past recipe that is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day coming up.  I remember eating these with the boys last year and they were fantastic, not to mention a breeze to whip up.

You can find all kinds of cute St. Patrick’s Day cupcake liners from Michaels :)  Hope you enjoy!!

Lucky Green Velvet Baby Cakes

1 Box yellow cake mix

4 eggs

1/2 Cup water

1/2 Cup vegetable oil

1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix

1/2 Cup plain yogurt or sour cream

5-8 drops Green decorating paste (food coloring will work, just won’t be as bright green)

Frosting

8 oz softened cream cheese

1 stick softened butter

1 lb powdered sugar

Yellow food coloring or decorating paste is what I used

Gold Pearl Dust or Sprinkles if desired

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer, add cake mix, eggs, water, oil, pudding, and yogurt.  Beat on medium for 1 1/2 minutes.  Slowly beat in 5-8 drops of green decorating paste until you get desired color of green.  Scoop batter into paper lined mini cupcake tins.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cooked through.  Let cool completely.

2.  To prepare frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy.  Slowly add powdered sugar until creamy and thick.  Divide frosting into 2 bowls then add in a few drops of yellow food coloring or decorating paste into one.

3.  Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with gold pearl dust or sprinkles if desired.

36 mini cupcakes

________________________________

My little stinker in the kitchen :)

Have a great week! See you soon :)

Comments

Amanda says:

So cute! Love these little green cupcakes :)

Sanjeeta kk says:

Looks unusual but kids may like this colorful cup cakes!

This are precious! Love it!

Jenny you and your awesome festive, green eats! I love it!

And I love “your little stinker” licking the beater. I think as a kid, licking beaters was awesome and the greener the batter (or red for Valentine’s Day or Pink for Easter…) the better :)

These are so cute and I love the picture of your son with the beater!

Hahahaha I love your little guy. So cute!

great baby cakes!

love the little green batter face at the end.

EatLiveRun says:

these look so fun! I especially love the photo of your son licking the bright green paddle attachment ;)

They are so adorable! Love the pics of your little guy.

Briana says:

What a perfect treat for St. Patty’s day, and the cutest little helper :)

looks like a fun treat, you son looks like he’s lovin’ it too!

Gabriella says:

Love these! They look so fun!

Heather says:

I’m definitely going to give these a try for my little people! I think I will use lime yogurt and add lime zest to the frosting! Just love the citrus flavor and it’s green :-)

Sues says:

These are the perfect St. Patty’s Day idea!! And how cute is your little boy in the kitchen?? Adorable!!

Shannon B. says:

Is the yogurt/sour cream just for extra moisture?

Amelia says:

I’m a little nervous to eat such bright green food when I’m pregnant, but these look too delish to pass up. And it’s St Patty’s Day after all!

Katrina says:

These are beautiful!!

Cara says:

Those look great! I love the colors.

These look so adorable, as does the little helper!

These look absolutely delicious! We’re huge fans of anything red (or green) velvet!!!

doughmesstic says:

Perfect for St. Pats! Looks like the little man really loved them, too!

doughmesstic says:

These are perfect for St. Pats! Looks like the little man really loved them, too!

Monika says:

Very fun and festive! I love the bright color – makes it feel like spring! I accidentally made “forest green” velvet cupcakes once, with the intention of making a navy blue velvet cake. These are much prettier :)

Erin A. says:

These are too cute! I made a Double Chocolate Stout Cupcake with Irish Cream Buttercream last night using Young’s Double Chocolate Stout beer for the cupcakes….so delicious. It’s amazing how the stout really pulls out the chocolate flavor. The irish cream frosting was SO good. Ok, off to eat like 12 of them now…ha! I posted them on my blog so if you have time, check them out!

Thanks for sharing. I love red velvet so green..even better…fave color!

Love the green!

PaulaK says:

I made these for Super Bowl this year (Packers colors!) and they were DELICIOUS! My husband wouldn’t stop eating them! And I loved that they were bite sized. Just pop one in!

Amelia says:

And for the entree…some naturally green food ideas:

After a bunch of green veggies I’ll be ready for a green velvet cake!

Amanda C says:

I just wanted to let you know that you’re my favorite. :) and those boys of yours are very cute. Love the cupcakes!!

Tracy says:

So fun and festive!

It looks as though Seven had a ball helping with these cupcakes. So cute!

Kathryn says:

Green velvet? Amazing! And those cupcake liners are adorable!

[...] Sprinkles Bakes} Irish Cream Cupcakes with Bailey’s Buttercream Frosting {from Recipe Girl} Lucky Green Velvet Baby Cakes {from Picky [...]

Peg says:

I made these with my 3 year grandson today for St. Patty’s. They were a hit with him and the rest of the family too!

Rachel says:

So I tried these today – didn’t turn out very pretty! I couldn’t find any coloring “paste” so mine were like mint green instead of that vibrant green. Also, the tops of mine got golden brown during baking, how did you prevent that?

And last but not least…they SHRUNK in a major way during cooling. They looked beautiful and fluffy when I pulled them out of the oven, but shrunk nearly half their size within a minute or two. Lesson learned: don’t over-beat the batter! If you could specify which coloring paste you used that would be great. My store didn’t have any “pastes.”

Sara says:

Made these but changed a couple things. I used French Vanilla cake mix and cheesecake pudding mix because that is what I had in the cupboard. They Turned out SOOOO good. My kids and husband had them gone in no time!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your site. You are so inventive and everything is fun and easy to make! I think I link back to your site at least once a week. Thanks for all your fun, yummy treats!

Rich K. says:

Stupid question here… but, it says “1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix”, do I make the pudding and then add it in or just add in the mix? Sorry, I’m a guy hahaha

[...] love cupcakes? These are a fun twist to the good ol’ fashioned Red Velvet cupcakes. Picky Palate baked these festive little guys. [...]

[...] Green Velvet Baby Cakes [...]