Aug
2011

Neopolitan Gooey Cake Bars

Tags:

Desserts

What a fun week we’ve had.  My sister and her family have been visiting and that means I got to steal her cute girls to bake with me!  I wanted to create something fun for them and I think we did it.  Get a load of my Neopolitan Gooey Cake Bars :)

What you are seeing is correct…..a chocolate cake layer, a vanilla cake layer and a strawberry gooey layer.  Brace yourself for this one, it is rich and sweet.  Definitely grab some milk with these babies.

Hope you enjoy!

Strawberry, Chocolate and Vanilla cake mixes along with some butter, eggs and sweetened condensed milk.  Please note, these are really full sticks of butter.  I purchase the full bloc of butter at Costco that I have to cut myself :)

Start with the chocolate layer.  Each cake mix gets a stick of butter and an egg.  Mix until a firm dough forms.

I miss these girls already!  How cute are they?!

Press that chocolate layer into the bottom of your baking dish.

Time for the vanilla layer with my sweet little niece :)

Gently press the vanilla layer over the chocolate layer.

….and last but not least the pretty strawberry layer.

Bring on the gooey-ness.  I actually added the entire can of sweetened condensed milk, but would recommend 3/4 cup as I have listed in my recipe.  It took a very long time to bake with the entire can.  Once drizzled, bake in the oven at 350 degrees F. for 40-50 minutes!

Wait until you cut into them, I love those layers!  ….and the bit of toasted gooey-ness from the sweetened milk :)

Neopolitan Gooey Cake Bars

1 box chocolate cake mix1 box vanilla/white cake mix

1 box strawberry cake mix

3 sticks unsalted butter, softened

3 large eggs

14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a 9×13 inch baking pan with foil sprayed with cooking spray.

2. Place chocolate cake mix, a stick of butter and an egg into a large bowl, mix until combined. Press into the bottom of prepared baking pan.

3. Place vanilla cake mix, a stick of butter and an egg into a large bowl, mix until combined. Press over chocolate cake layer.

4. Place strawberry cake mix, a stick of butter and an egg into a large bowl, mix until combined. Press over vanilla cake layer.

5. Drizzle 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk over strawberry layer then bake for 40-50 minutes, until center is cooked through. Let cool completely. Cut off all edges, about 1/2 inch, this makes bars look nicer, but not necessary. Cut remaining bars into squares and serve.

Makes 12-16 servings

___________________________

Have a great rest of your week, come back soon!

Comments

Jenny it’s so beautiful, creative, and awesome looking!

I love that there’s THREE boxes of cake in this bad boy! :) Rich and sweet desserts, are my fave kind. Yum!

And those girls…they are soo adorable!

What a fun idea! Those girls are adorable, I bet they love getting to hang out with you and bake.

I’d definitely cut off the edges… and then eat them myself:-)

I am drooling! This is a brilliant idea, I love the layers of colors, it makes for a pretty dessert. I also love that it uses boxed cake mix, I love taking help from the store sometimes!

These look incredible and the girls seem to be having a fun time putting it together! I loved baking with my mom when I was a child.

so creative! i love neopolitan ice cream…totally makes sense that i would ADORE this gooey cake too!

These look so delicious and gooey! Bet the girls had as much fun eating them as they did baking. :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!

Miranda says:

What a great idea! Looks like a fun project for kids too!

Sues says:

These are beautiful!! And I love that the girls helped out. So cute :)

Your concoctions make me smile…then they make me think to myself…WHY didn’t I come up with that??!!?? So easy, so fun….and just think of all the different layers/flavors you could play with!! *sigh* I feel the fat just sticking to my thighs as we speak!!

Clare says:

SO cool! This is such a great idea – and that cake looks AMAZING.

sandra says:

My adult daughter loves Neopolitan cake or a princess cake we sometimes call it. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks and I think she would love these. Great recipe and the girls are adorable!

These look so good! Great idea!

Mona says:

Mmmmmm must try these!!! : )

Bev Weidner says:

HOLY….I just lost my breath.

On my way over.

these are fab!
    i just want to make them for the pink color LOL!!

Deborah says:

These look SO amazing!! (And what cute girls!)

Love these bars! Adorable girls too. Looks like you had a fun day in the kitchen!

Vicki says:

I love the way you take a cake mix and do magic with it!!!! Bars look incredible!!

Kathy says:

Always looking for something to take to our couples golf carry-ins, so this will be perfect !!!!

‘bring on the gooeyness’ you couldnt have said any other words that would tempt me more :) scrumptious!

Emily says:

What a fun idea, they’re so pretty! Perfect for kids and adults!

jenna says:

neopolitan ice cream is one of my favorites. it would go perfectly with these bars too! :)

What a cute idea! And I’m sure they taste amazing, too.

howellmom says:

These look like so much fun! Just wanted to confirm that you used 1/2 cup (1 whole stick) margarine per cake mix. The picture looks like half sticks of margarine in front of each cake mix. I want to be sure mine turn out as good as yours look!

Kim Adams says:

Waaaahhhhh we miss you too :( I love these pictures of the girls helping there Aunt Jenny, so so cute! LOVED our time with you guys as always ;)

This will be a fun treat today. Going to buy cake mixes right now!

Lesa

These look delicious!!! I think I’ll try them tonight :)

arletha says:

O M G. That’s all I can say!

Wow what a creative idea! You took plain boxed treats and really turned this into something beautiful and I’m SURE tasty! I love sweetened condensed milk, I probably shouldn’t admit to that though =P

What a fun Aunt baking with your nieces! This bars look to so rich but they are gorgeous and sound to die for!

Ambrey says:

I am definitely making this right now :-)

Jenny, these are so pretty with all the different colors and they look so yummy!!!

Ah the sweets! I love the layering and all the idea of making it. It looks good that the kids are enjoying it too!

Philippine Outsourcing

Denise Rowe says:

These look AMAZING……. YUMMY. It made me think of the neopolitain coconut candy. So how yummy do you think these would be if you replaced the sweetend milk for coconut milk??

Lisa says:

I made these tonight. I was a little disappointed, you said bake for 40-50 minutes and it took longer when you used the whole can. I overbaked mine and followed your timing guidelines. I know my oven bakes evenly because I bake a lot and have never had a problem. SO a word of warning: watch them closely. Browned sweetened condensed milk does not taste good!

arletha says:

Just put these in the oven! Here we go!!

Jessy says:

I made these this weekend and added 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips on top of the chocolate cake layer (as if they weren’t rich enough) and they were amazing! Thanks for the recipe. Every time you make a new dessert, I have to try it and my husband thanks you too!

Candi says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! LOVE this idea. These are delicious! I know it without even tasting them. Thank you for this recipe idea!! YUM!

heidi says:

HELP! I made these this morning and they turned out tall and all mixed up together! What did I do wrong? The chocolate layer broke through and some ended up on top….. They are still yummy – though I baked them a bit too long, but they are tall cake slices – not bars.

Lisa S says:

I just made these. First I should have taken the whole top off the can of milk. Wasn’t sure when I had drizzled enough milk. The bottom chocolate layer seemed kind of dry. Maybe that was because I hadn’t put enough milk on the top. Would it ruin it if I pierced holes in the layers before pouring the milk so that it goes all the way to the chocolate layer? I am taking these to a friends for her daughters last party before heading to start her freshman year of college.

saniel says:

what size pan did you use? yummy

Bethany says:

I made these last week, and while they weren’t as pretty as Picky Palate’s, I passed them off as Neapolitan brownies and everyone raved! I had a problem with the condensed milk too – it raised like a souffle and poured over the sides! And the white layer ended up on top, even though I added it second!

Seriously, everyone thought it tasted great, even though it wasn’t as pretty as the picture!

Sade says:

I loved the recipe, just made it today for Christmas Eve. My family was going on and on about how delicious it was!
    Thank you so much for the idea and recipe!

Love…Sade

Virginia says:

I made these today. The layers stayed in place as they were supposed to. I had trouble knowing when they were done. They got really golden brown around the edges, the edges puffed up just as gooey bars are supposed to. I baked them for about 47 minutes then got scared I was over baking so I took them out. When they cooled I cut off the edges and they were great. Next to the edges was what I knew a gooey bar was supposed to be like. Then came the middle and they were too gooey as in “under cooked” so I threw them away. These are very very sweet but I usually think that way about baked goods on the day they are made.I think I will like them better in a day or two. I just thought I would give some feedback on these to help out others. I really think that if I had baked them until the center was done, the edges would have become very hard. Probably just the nature of my oven. I thought this was a great idea and something different to take to potlucks. Not your usual.

Virginia says:

I ate a couple of these today. Had made and commented on them yesterday. They are very good. I took some to my 17 year old Granddaughter and she loved them. I think i will take the rest to work tomorrow so I won’t eat too many!

[...] was inspired to veganize this recipe from Neopolitan Gooey Cake Bars by the Picky [...]

mallory says:

I baked them for 50 minutes then turned the oven off and left them in there for about 20 minutes longer. That’s usually the best thing to do when your edges are getting crispy but the middle is still gooey.

[...] Marshmallows via Not So Humble Pie; Gooey Cake Bars via Picky Palate ; Berry Yogurt Popsicles via skinnytaste.com and Rice Crispy Treats via The [...]

[...] my mom made, so you can see where I obviously get my knack for baking. The recipe she used is from this Picky Palate blog post. YUM! Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this [...]