Oct
2011

Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream

Tags: , , , ,

Desserts

Fall baking is here friends and I am loving it!!  Get a load of this ultra easy and incredibly perfect chocolate pumpkin cake with a thick layer of fabulous pumpkin spice buttercream.  can you tell I am a little excited about this recipe?  Lol!

I’ve always been a fan of jazzing up cake mixes and this is another quick and simple dessert that will have your guests ooing and ahhing.   Hope you enjoy!

Here’s your line up :)  Add powdered sugar to the left by the butter and cinnamon :)

I love this recipe, because you add everything to the mixer :)  Start with the cake mix.

In no particular order, add your oil.

Buttermilk.

4 large eggs.

1/2 cup sour cream.

Find yourself a 15 ounce can of pumpkin.  I love this particular brand from Trader Joes.

Reserve 2 tablespoons of pumpkin for the buttercream.

Set the 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin aside for the buttercream.

Add the remainder of the canned pumpkin to the mixer.

Give it all a good mix, until well combined, about 1-2 minutes.

Stir in your chocolate chips.

Divide evenly between prepared bread pans.

Spread evenly and bake at 350 degrees F. for 55-65 minutes.

Love!!

While the cakes are cooling, prepare your buttercream :)

Ahhh, pumpkin spice buttercream.  This stuff is deadly.

I will admit…the cakes are good even without the frosting.  Perfectly moist and fabulous.

I happen to be a buttercream girl, so bring on the Pumpkin Spice Buttercream :)

Enjoy friends :)

Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream

1 box devils food cake mix

1 small box instant chocolate pudding

1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil

1/2 cup buttermilk or milk

4 large eggs

1/2 cup sour cream

15 ounce can pumpkin (reserving 2 Tablespoons for buttercream)

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pumpkin Spice Buttercream

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened

2 tablespoons reserved pumpkin

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 to 5 cups powdered sugar

2 to 4 tablespoons milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray two 9×5 inch bread pans with non-stick cooking spray.

2. In a stand or electric mixer, place cake mix, pudding mix, oil, buttermilk, eggs, sour cream and can of pumpkin, and chocolate chips–mix all ingredients until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide cake batter evenly into prepared bread pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through.

3. While cakes are baking prepare the buttercream. Place butter, reserved 2 tablespoons pumpkin and cinnamon into stand or electric mixer. Mix on high until well combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Slowly add the milk until buttercream is a nice consistency. Frost over cooled cakes, slice and serve.

Makes 16 servings

Note:  This recipe can be used to make 24 cupcakes as well.  Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes, until baked through.

Note:  This recipe can also be used to make two 9 inch cakes for layered cakes.  I’d start the bake time at 30 minutes at 350  and check often from there :)

________________________________

Hope you enjoy :) Have a great day!

Comments

I happen to be a buttercream girl, too!! and wow, amazing bowl of fluffy goodness.

I do love cake and brownies, of course, but I like to say that I eat those things just so I can get to enjoy more frosting :)

What a great recipe and love that it’s all dump ‘n mix. Love you for always keeping things easy!

Kathryn says:

What an easy but awesome looking cake! And that buttercream sounds heavenly.

omg…how do you take such amazing pictures??? And with one hand xp

yummy! I have a chocolate zucchini recipe that we love and a pumpkin cake recipe that we love….have GOT to try this one!

I’d like a giant slice with a bowl of the pumpkin buttercream on the side!

You had me a pumpkin spice buttercream!

Lane says:

I have everything except for the cream cheese! I WILL be making this next week!

Clare says:

This looks amazing! What a great idea!

these look too good…i’m making them this weekend!

Kate says:

Looks tasty, but is there supposed to be pumpkin spice in the buttercream? It’s missing from the recipe.

Nicky S says:

Can I convert this into cupcakes? If so, how long would I bake it for?

Nicky S says:

Sorry, didn’t see the bottom of recipe…thanks so much for the recipe…can’t wait to make this this weekend!

Shannon says:

Pumpkin Spice Buttercream?!?!?!?!?! I love this. Can’t wait to meet you in Nashville this weekend!

jenna says:

this looks so out of control good! :)

Oh my! I love that thick layer of PUMPKIN buttercream!!

Kristen Mattern says:

I am loving this recipe especially the Buttercream. It has never occurred to me to add pumpkin to a Buttercream. Clever! will be making that for sure this weekend. Thanks!

Deborah says:

The cake sounds amazing, but I’m so in love with that buttercream. I’ve GOT to make this!!

Mel says:

Mmm… this looks so good!

Sandi says:

This looks sinfully delicious! Do you think it could be done in the smaller size loaf pans as well?

Kelly Senyei says:

Oh my word! You can just tell how moist this cake is from the photos alone! And I am a huge fan of using sour cream as my secret ingredient in all baking confections. Looking forward to meeting you this weekend in Nashville!

Suzanne says:

If I were at home right now, I would be baking this cake! Darn job gets in the way of everything… This cake looks AMAZING – I love, love, love all things pumpkin and chocolate. A combination made in heaven!

Shanna says:

Love this!! I think you have buttercream on the brain because in the ingredients for the cake you listed “buttercream or milk” I’m assuming you meant buttermilk but that made me laugh out loud. I do adore buttercream and cannot wait to try the pumpkin spice buttercream you created here!!! Thanks for another amazing recipe!

J. Jones says:

Can’t wait to try this!

WenDee Riffe says:

ok–i am being serious here…i love pumpkin~~anything pumpkin!! however…i have never made anything choc and pumpkin!!?? is it really worth it!!?? can you even tell that there is pumpkin in the choc?? i would think that i would over-power the flavor??!! be honest–should i give this a try?? i love your blog!! i follow you every-day!!! thanks for your honesty

susan says:

WenDee, I made the cake last night. I cannot taste the pumpkin because as you said the chocolate overpowers the pumpkin taste.

Maybe the pumpkin gave the cake its moistness. Plus the pumpkin gave the cake the added benefit of a serving of vegetables.

I would make this cake again.

I love easy recipes as such. That cake surely makes me drool for pumpkin, even more so :)

Love this pumpkin dessert!

Geez Louise says:

Jenny,
    It was lovely to meet you “again”at Todd & Diane’s. I like the cake, I used to have a handful of recipes that used cake mix… always a hit. Just put out my Fall decorations so it’s time to start baking Halloween treats.

Happy Thursday,
    Geez Louise

I looked at the pic of the cake by itself and thought, “that would be great even without the frosting!” And then you write, “To be honest, the cake is great even without the frosting.” So there. Great minds think alike. :)

Erin M says:

Just wondering when/if you put in the pudding mix? I’m assuming you dump it in at the beginning with the cake mix–just not seeing it in the recipe (only in the ingredient list). Thanks!

Hannah says:

Holy. I am really loving chocolate cake mix right now with bananas but pumpkin seems like the season appropriate switch. Thank god I have pumpkin on hand to make this.. like now.

Delicious! I love, love, love, buttercream frosting! This looks delicious!

[...] Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream from the Picky Palate [...]

Marianne says:

OH MY GOODNESS. This cake just looks oh so very yummy. I’m pretty new to baking so I am wondering- My devils food cake mix I have on hand says on the front of the box that the mix includes a package of pudding. Should I still add the separate pudding box to the recipe then?
    Thanks for the awesome recipe, can’t wait to try it out this weekend! I just love the fall season- and nothing says fall like pumpkin! yum yum yum!

yeni says:

This is the perfect recipe to bake for my son’s preschool. They’re having a Harvest event this month and I think the kids would love this as cupcakes. Thanks for sharing!

Traci says:

Love the amount of frosting you put on this cake. I am a pumpkin frosting nut! It is so good!

Connie W says:

Looks sooo good! I must try it!!

Ashley Smith says:

Omg.. Looks so yummy… I don’t like sour cream, so I was wondering what can you use instead of sour cream. Thank you love all your stuff.

Hi Ashley, you could substitute yogurt, however I will say, you can not tell there is sour cream in the cake whatsoever, it just adds moisture to the cake. Give it a try :)

• Bethany says:

Could you use plain greek yogurt instead of the sour cream? I just got back from the store with all the other ingredients and discovered I don’t have enough sour cream. The last think I want to do is go back to the store right now! lol

Sook says:

Oh my gosh! I must have this! I love pumpkin and chocolate together… so great! Saving the recipe!

Angela H. says:

My GOSH! How do you NOT weigh 300lbs. ?!!?! I love pumpkin and this looks yummy, so I will just have to try. :-)

Wow this look absolutely delicious! Think I’ll make it this weekend! :)

Laura W says:

That just looks mouthwatering and absolutely yummy! What a great combination of flavors. Your photos are so clear.

you had me at pumpkin spice buttercream! I also love that you made these in loaf pans…so much more fun than in a traditional 13×9″ pan!

Emily Craig says:

Made this last night – such a quick recipe to put together! It tastes wonderful – the cake is so moist and the frosting is heavenly!!

Leslie says:

Made this last night and it is DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!

Erika says:

I made this recipe yesterday. After the cake came out, I didn’t even make the buttercream because this cake was AMAZING all by itself. SO GOOD!! Thank you for your awesome recipes and your beautiful pictures. I admit, the pictures of the cake made me want to make it before I even read the recipe. You rock!

Love to hear it Erika, so glad you enjoyed the recipe. I could eat the cake all by itself too :) Thanks for sharing and for your sweet comments :)

Marla says:

Girl, I am so in love with fall baking and everything pumpkin too! Love the cake :) Hope Nashville was a blast!

This looks incredible! I’m looking forward to making this this fall :)

JACQUELYNN STEELE says:

Man this looks great. I am going to make it next week. I think it would be great with pecans and some other carrot cake ingredients.
    Thanks for posting this. Have a great week.

[...] addition to my soup sauce, I also made double chocolate pumpkin cake with pumpkin butter cream frosting. The jury is in on this recipe. YUM! I’d highly recommend making this cake this fall. [...]