Oct
2011

Blue Frog Bakery and Cafe, Orange CA

Orange County, Where to Eat | Tags:

This week while my family was visiting from Arizona, we went to a very charming shopping area in Old Towne Orange Historic District, CA.  It’s only about 15-20 minutes from Newport Beach on the freeway.  While we were browsing through antique shops, I quickly saw this sweet little cafe and bakery called Blue Frog.  We decided to do brunch….and a few desserts.

There are a few seats outside as you can see in the photo and inside there are seats around the counter. You can also find a handful of tables upstairs.  You walk right up to the counter to order and pay, then the server brings your food to your table.  At the counter you will find desserts galore.  Cookies, cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes and more.  I was tempted to try one of everything!

Take a peek!

I ordered the Froggie Breakfast Burrito that had eggs, bacon and cheese inside a perfectly soft flour tortilla with a cup of mild salsa.  You can choose between potatoes or fruit for your side.  The potatoes were nicely seasoned, thin and great with the burrito.

The biscuits and gravy were great.  Flavorful peppery bacon gravy over top 2 soft buttery biscuits.  Next time I would order an extra side of gravy since we ran out towards the end :)  Potatoes or fruit are your side choices here as well.

Well, since we finished brunch around noon, it was perfectly appropriate to order desserts right?  First up is this adorable little chocolate cake.  I had very high hopes for it because it looked so darn good.  Let’s see what it looks like inside :)

Oh yah, super moist cake and ganache layered in between the cakes.  This little cake lived up to my expectations.  Will order it again!

Had to order this cute oval shaped baby Carrot Cake.  Loved the shape, the size and all the frosting!  Let’s take a look inside.

Lovely little layers of cinnamon-y carrot cake with little golden raisins throughout.  It was soft and layered with a light cream cheese frosting.  Very good!

Oh baby, this giant eclair was the bomb….no, seriously.  A nice layer of chocolate on top of a nice flaky crust, with a perfect vanilla custard on the inside.  We loved picking at this one.

Blue Frog Bakery

136 S Glassell St
Orange, CA 92866
(714) 538-3764

Closed on Mondays

Tues-Sat 7am-5pm

Sun 8:30am-7pm

Comments

Oh the desserts. I think I need to take a drive up the road and visit The Frog just to get my hands on some of those goodies! :)

Now I’m super duper hungry for a breakfast burrito!!! Looks like a great little discovery!

Stephanie says:

Oh man, I work down there, but only on Mondays! The one day they are closed!

jenn says:

i live only 5 min. from the orange circle and i’ve never tried that place! looks great, thanks for the tip!

Brenda says:

I visit the orange circle every few months … always eat at the same places … it’s nice to know about a new one … especially a good one!

Sarah says:

That’s my neck of the woods too, I’m only a few blocks away from the Circle! I will definitely have to try this place next time I’m over there.

conna says:

Wish I could go there and taste all the things you tried !!!

Wish I was “closer” .

Kisses

Looks delish! I love your reviews : ) Have you tried Bruxie’s, http://bruxie.com/, in Orange? We were living in Irvine before recently moving to Japan, and I LOVED this place. Yummy Waffle Sandwiches!y fave was the cream cheese, Salmon and cucumber waffle sandwich…

Shannon,
      Bruxie’s is next on my list! I saw it down the street after we ate at Blue Frog Bakery :) I can hardly wait to go try it!! Thanks for the recommendation! Glad to know you enjoyed it :)

My organization gets cookies from Blue Frog for all of our meetings! They are sooooooooooooo yummy.

I had no idea you were so local!!! Have you been to Plums, or Old Vine Cafe for brunch? Both are in Costa Mesa and are amaaaaaazing. Cupcakes from Wonderland Bakery in Newport, strawberry croissants from Japanese bakery Cream Pan in Tustin??? I would looooooooooove to go on a yummy-food adventure with you!

Steph says:

Blue Frog opened up a hamburger place on the other side of the circle. It is TO DIE FOR!! AMAZING burgers like no other! My husband’s birthday is next month and I told him we could go anywhere he wanted for dinner. He asked for a burger from there (and beer on the patio!) Definitely worth trying out!