Nov
2011

Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting

Tags: , ,

Desserts

Oh my gosh, how excited is everyone for Thanksgiving this week?!  Seriously one of the best holidays ever!  I LOVE our road trip to AZ and all the food we consume.  It’s worth every darn calorie :)

Now, I have to be honest, I am not the first to run over to the sweet potato casserole at the Thanksgiving table, however in cupcake form…..they are the bomb, lol!

Sweet, cinnamon-y and very festive indeed.  They are soft, moist and perfectly frosted with a cinnamon sugar cream cheese frosting.  Did I mention this is a one bowl recipe?!  Love!

Oh and on a side note….we are moving in like 2 weeks, just down the street but trying to do this during the holidays is slightly overwhelming so I will be spotlighting some of my favorite blogging friends during the next few weeks, to help get me through my move :)  Stay tuned for that, it will be really fun!

Ok, Happy Thanksgiving this week!  Enjoy!

Here is your simple one bowl recipe line up.  See recipe below for the details :)

My little sweetie pie was helping me with this recipe.  Love his little hands :)  I started with the flour, but any order is fine.  Just dump it all in.

Here he is adding the cinnamon, sugar and buttermilk.

Adding our egg and sweet potato puree.  I found my can of sweet potato puree right next to the cans of pumpkins.  You should be able to find it no problem.

Line em’ up and fill 3/4 way full.  You will bake these at 350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes, they smell incredible while baking!

While the cupcakes are baking, prepare your frosting.  Cream your cream cheese and butter until nice and creamy.  Make sure they are both room temperature, makes all the difference in the world.

Creamy and dreamy :)

Time to add your powdered sugar to the mix.  I usually add 1 cup at at time.

Mix, then add your remaining cups of powdered sugar until a nice consistency.

Time for some cinnamon.  Any cinnamon will do the trick.

Fabulous.

Spread frosting over your cooled cupcakes.

Gorgeous and delicious!  Enjoy :)

Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting

3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup canned sweet potato puree

1 large egg

3/4 cup buttermilk

4 tablespoons softened cream cheese

4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter

3 to 4 cups powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

2. In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, sugar, sweet potato, egg, and buttermilk. Mix until well combined, about 15 to 30 seconds with a large spoon. Fill prepared muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.

3. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Let cool completely.

4. To prepare frosting, place butter and cream cheese into a mixing bowl, beating until creamy and smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar until you get the consistency you desire….between 3 and 4 cups. Stir in cinnamon then frost over cupcakes. Now…..stuff your face :)

Makes 12 cupcakes

______________________________

Have a great day, come back soon!

Comments

Jenny these look so good! Moist and amazing and the frosting, mmmmm good!

I also am digging the black and white damask cupcake liners…oooh-la-la! How chic and pretty!

these look great, maybe they should replace the sweet potato dishes this year! Very pretty!

Phie says:

Yum they look delicious.. I have to see if they have sweet potatoes puree in a can here in Denmark. I had some trouble finding pumpkins puree in a can but found pumpkin slices instead and then just blended them. I must look for them though cause these babies look beautiful!! :)

Kathryn says:

Delicious! And an absolutely perfect treat for the holidays! Hope you have a good thanksgiving and good luck with the move…

I am so excited for a short week and Thanksgiving in a few days! Now you have me craving another dessert that isn’t on he menu, though…

Christine says:

Yum!!! My 12 year old daughter absolutely loves your blog! She makes every recipe you make, and she’s a big fan of sweet potatoes…no doubt she’ll make this!

Jessica says:

Looks so good Jenny…and pretty. You’ll have to come by my running blog today and say “hi” to Camber Wilson. She’s my first guest post in a new series called “Motivate Me Monday”. :) Hope CA is treating you well. Jessica

runningtobeskinny.com

these are such a pretty color! now i’m stoked for thanksgiving desserts :)

Such a great idea! Jessica made something sort of similiar a few weeks ago… looks great!

That frosting sounds like the best thing EVAH!!

Love these Jenny! Happy Thanksgiving!

[...] on Rice Couple Healthy Bacon & Pumpkin Pasta from Pinch of Yum Mushroom Gravy from Leslie Sarna Sweet Potato Cupcakes from Picky Palate Thanksgiving Sides & Apps from Peas & Crayons Cheesecake Tart w/ Oatmeal [...]

These look delicious, particularly that glossy, creamy frosting! I love the cupcake liners and the pretty little cake stand, too.

Kristen says:

Jenny I am so thankful (fitting) for this recipe. Last week I was searching for a good sweet potato cupcake recipe and it seems my search is over. Did you find the sweet potato puree at the grocery store or World Market? I think I have seen them at WM? I must find it! Just like you I am not into sweet potatoes or yams on Thanksgiving but I think in a cupcake form I would be!

Enjoy the holiday with your family! Oh my goodness, moving during this time…eek! I hope it goes smoothly and you love your new place! Happy Thanksgiving!

Safe travels to Arizona! Hope you packed a few of these in your suitcase!!

These sound so great! Love your cake stand too!

Kim Kopecky says:

I am so making these for Thanksgiving :)

Mmm these make me happy. Can’t wait to try!

Martha says:

Love,love,love your site and your recipes!! Beautiful presentation in those black and white cupcake liners. Can’t wait to try these.

I love all your sweets creations and usually don’t comment, but I just had to tell you that we’re wearing the same nail polish right now! I had to do a double take when I saw your nails. I never paint mine so what are the odds that I’d do mine the same as you the first time I’ve done them this year? :)

Ashley says:

These look fabulous! I love a good festive holiday treat!

jennifurla says:

Gorgeous treat, shame to eat them….NOT

Linda Akers says:

I have some sweet potatoes that my husband cooked and been wondering what else I can do with them. I have my grandsons with me today, so I think tonight we will make these!! Thanks and have a great Thanksgivng!!

Deborah says:

I love a one-bowl cupcake! And I love those liners, too! :) I hope you have a wonderful time in Arizona, and good luck with the move. I know way too much about moving lately, and I’ll still have another move in the next month!!

HOW can I get these in my kitchen in five seconds? They need to be there.

Amazing cupcakes… funky liners – – this is one thanksgiving-tastic recipe :)

I’m taking pies to our family Thanksgiving get-together. Yet your cupcakes are tempting me. I did buy some mini cupcake papers at Michaels this weekend and I think I’ll walk to the grocery store right now to check for sweet potato puree. Pies and cupcakes, yum. Thanks for the idea and the great recipe.

Cassie says:

Love that frosting Jenny! And I want your cake pedestal…adorable!

Kelly says:

Hi Jenny! I love your blog! Can you tell me where you get your cupcake wrappers from? My batter always bleeds through the pretty design on my cupcakes. thanks so much!

Kelly

Wenderly says:

Congratulations on a new house love! How exciting! These look so moist & delicious!

Love you little fella’s hands too! So cute *sniff* I miss little hands like that.

gosh i remember when i made these 2 years ago; it was one of my most popular posts. i was so scared to post it because i wasn’t sure it would fly but my goodness how fans loved them!
    happy turkey day girl!

love the pictures! can never go wrong with cupcakes :) love sweet potatoes, especially now that they are in season taste even better haha

Jimmy says:

This is very nice!To have better view of car engine inside,you can also use borescope,which is a kind of inspection tool that you can see the things inside that your eyes can not see

[...] Picky Palate: Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Cinnamon Sugar Cream Cheese [...]

Almost got something very similar at a cupcake place in Nashville yesterday but skipped it. Good thing I make it at home…these look better!

Love the cupcakes and the liners! Absolutely chic and gorgeous…and they sound incredibly delicious!!

I was just about to make sweet potato cupcakes with marshmallow frosting, but this sounds even yummier!

Let me know if you would ever want to guest post over at yummymummykitchen.com

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Pamela D says:

These look so good but I made them this afternoon and they seem to have sunken in the middle while cooling. Haven’t tasted them yet but any idea what I did wrong? Followed the recipe exactly.

Valerie says:

Me too! I just made them today….also, my cake seems to have stuck to the liner…..What did I do wrong?

• Jenny says:

Trying spraying the liners for the sticking part. I’m going to remake this to check specifics.

• Jenny says:

Valerie, We did a little testing today and we suggest to try using foil liners or spray the paper liners. Adjust the baking time a little longer which should help with avoiding the sunken look. Good luck. :)

• Valerie says:

Thank you for the advice! I will try that next time! I also could not find sweet potato purée….so I used baby food! Lol

Christine says:

Amazing as always. I haven’t made a single thing off your blog we didn’t like. Thanks for this amazing site. Best of luck to you in your move and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Memoria says:

Can you make these with cooked and mashed sweet potatoes instead of using the can variety? I bet that would be great for my mom. She loves sweet potatoes in any way, so I will need to make these for her. Thanks.

Kayla says:

I just saw an idea on Janae’s blog and immediately thought of you, I know you will love this idea!

You bake chocolate chip cookies on the back of a muffin pan and use it as a bowl for icecream! So creative, right! Here’s how Janae did it: http://www.hungryrunnergirl.com/2011/11/a-day-late-and-sugars-effect-on-the-body.html

Alexis says:

I love this idea! I am definitely going to make these but with pumpkin puree instead!

Cathleen says:

Making these tonight. I cant wait for the kids to dive into these tomorrow. :) I love your site…thanks for all the recipes! :)

Marla says:

These cupcakes look great Jenny! I love sweet potatoes in baked goods. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family. xxoo

Kellie says:

Hi everyone! I made these this weekend and they were awesome! They got seriously stuck in the liners though, so next time I’m just going to grease the pan.

Also, we didn’t have puree at Kroger here in Cincinnati, but I was able to find these ‘vacuum sealed’ cooked sweet potatos. The can seemed like it was from 1950, but they tasted fine and the puree worked great.

Tara says:

I Just made these and although they are yummy, I had the same problem as Kellie….they really didn’t want to come out of the liners. Half of the cupcake ended u staying behind :( Which is a bummer because now I won’t be able to use them at a family gathering…If I do make them again I’ll be sure to spray the liners…

• Kelly says:

I was just about to comment on the sticking issue too. :( I also had to double the frosting, but everything tasted great!

[...] you didn’t misread that. This recipe is for sweet potato cupcakes with cinnamon sugar cream cheese frosting. How good does that sound? [...]

[…] Potato Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe from Picky Palate) makes about 24 mini cupcakes or 12 regular-sized […]

[…] I can think of no two flavors that go together better than sweet potato and cinnamon. It turns out the way to make it better was to turn those same flavors into sweet potato cupcakes with cinnamon sugar cream cheese frosting! Unlike sweet potato pie, these sweet potato cupcakes are light and airy. The buttermilk in the cupcakes gives them a nice tangy flavor which is a perfect contrast to the rich and creamy cinnamon sugar frosting. Source Picky Palate […]