Feb
2012

Slow Cooked Whole Chicken and Vegetables

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

I love breaking out my crock pot for dinner recipes.  I tend to use it in phases, so if you see a number of slow cooked recipes in the near future, you’ll know why :)

Is there anything better than tossing a few ingredients into a big pot, closing the lid and coming home to a perfectly cooked dinner?  This is exactly what you get with this recipe.  It’s so “no fuss” that I didn’t even post a ton of photos.  Keeping it simple today :)

I placed a whole 3-5 pound chicken in my crock pot, seasoned with salt, pepper and thyme, then put some of our favorite vegetables on top, carrots, celery and potatoes.  I added about 1/2 cup chicken broth, closed the lid and let the crock pot do it’s magic.

Slow Cooked Whole Chicken and Vegetables

3-5 pound whole chicken

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

5-6 stalks of celery cut into 1 inch pieces

1 pound bag baby carrots

10-12 baby red potatoes

1/2 cup chicken broth

1. Preheat crock pot to high setting. Place chicken into crock pot, breast side up. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Add celery, carrots and potatoes. Pour in chicken broth, close lid and let cook on high for 4-5 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with warm rolls and a salad if desired.

Makes 4-6 servings

________________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon!

Comments

It’s been so “cold” in SoCal this week, that it’s a perfect time of year to dust off my slow cooker and make something comforting!

Kathryn says:

I love how this is all done in one pot – it makes for such a simple but yummy meal.

I would never think to do a whole chicken…. looking good!

I love crock pot dinners! This looks delicious!

So much easier than roasting a whole chicken! What a great idea, and it literally looks fall off the bone tender. YUM!

i love meals like this that seem super fancy but are super simple!

Sarah says:

This is genius. Trying it next week. Thanks for the recipe!

Yum! Love this idea and love all of the seasoning used to flavor the chicken…..definitely on my to-make list :)

Amy says:

Can the whole chicken be frozen????

Rosie says:

Do the potatoes end up a nice texture? Every time I do potatoes in the crockpot they end up weird…

You can also make easy chicken stock with the leftovers – just throw the bones & skin back in the pot with a bunch of vegetable leavings. I save my onion ends, celery ends, carrot peels, etc and freeze them. Then I throw them all in the crockpot with the chicken bones & the juices that are left in there, add about 3 cups of water and a couple bay leaves, and let it cook on low overnight. The house smells like boston market in the morning, but you just strain the junk out and refrigerate the stock to separate the fat. If you did it right, you should end up with some really hearty-tasting good-for-you homemade stock!

I just made a whole chicken (roasted) for dinner the other night. I love how simple they are to do… always baffles me how many people think that making it is so hard. This looks like a great, no-fuss way to do it too!

JJ says:

Looks yummy! I do this all the time in my Dutch Oven/Slo Cooker from http://www.kitchencraftcookware.com. Doesn’t matter if chicken is frozen. Cooks in the same amount of time.
    I use real carrots (they have LOTS more flavor). Just scrub them with a vegetable brush. I also season with Mrs. Dash.

Deborah says:

I love making whole chickens, but I don’t think I’ve ever actually done one in the crock pot. Looks like I have an idea for Sunday supper!

GinaE says:

I do this once a week or at least every ten days. It’s one of our favorite meals and I get a second meal with leftovers for the next day. One tip: don’t put any liquid in and it comes out more like a baked chicken. Although some chickens put out more broth than others. I find if I let it cook an hour or so longer than you have to, I get the browning on top, which I love and it’s still moist and delicious!

Thesha says:

I also go through phases with my crock pot. This looks delicious, I never thought of doing a whole chicken in it. Thanks for the great recipe!

Joss says:

Looks simple and comforting…perfect!

Maureen says:

This is one of my favorite cold weather recipes. Bonus that it is ready when I get home from work!

I love that the vegies aren’t diced up small!

Your post made me realize that (holy crap!) I have never made chicken in a crock pot! Not even once! I am all about slow-roasting whole chickens in the oven with a little spice rub, so giving the ol’ crock a shot is a wonderful idea. Shredded chicken has always been a winner for me so I imagine if I added a little extra chicken broth, a nice tender shred would result. Thanks for the great recipe!

Kati says:

I don’t usually have all the goodies on hand that you pick up and make yummy things with, however, I just happened to have a chicken defrosting waiting for a yummy recipe. So we made this last night and LOVED it. THANK YOU!!! leftovers are making for a yummy chicken soup today!

Howdy! This looks great. Just about the only thing I make in my crockpot is pot roast and veggies. I’m itching to try something new. You could do this with chicken breasts, right? I have my aunt’s and it is tiny and old. Don’t think a whole chick would fit.

Megan says:

You could try a pheasant. Taste would be slightly different and cooking time would probably be shorter. You could always take the dimensions of your crockpot and a tape measure to the store…

What a great way to have a full meal ready when you walk in the door around dinner time. Looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Brianne says:

I love to cook a whole chicken in the crockpot. Then after carving off all of the meat, I throw the carcass, leftover veggies, etc. back into the crockpot, cover with water, and turn it on low overnight to make stock.

Crock pots are just the greatest for cold weather comfort foods! Great looking meal :)

I simply do not use my slow cooker enough, but this healthy recipe would be the perfect reason to pull it out. Looks great, Jenny!

[...] Recipe and image from Picky Palate [...]

jessica says:

made this last weekend and it was delicious. used the extra chicken for your “i don’t feel like making dinner” enchilada recipe. Worked nicely and gave me two easy meals in a row. Thanks -

Tracy says:

I’ve been doing this for years. I use the leftover chicken and broth to make chicken and noodles for the next day.

Holly says:

Hey Jenny,

Would this work with a breast only? I have white meat eaters only in my house :)

Thanks!
    HD

bonnie fuentevilla says:

Hi Jenny,
    After looking at a lot of other ” whole chicken ” crock pot recipes, this is the one. I wanted something simple and I believe this one sounds like a winner !
    The chicken broth will make it tender and the flavor will remind us a long forgotten memory.

[...] Cooked Whole Chicken and Vegetables (click here for the [...]

Kris says:

Can you put the temperature on low for 8 hours instead of high for 4?? Will it still cook/taste the same?

Joe Bawden says:

I did a search for a Chicken with vegetables done in a Slow cooker, I came across your recipe and I am going to try it tonight.

I am using my slow cooker and hoping the meal will be done in 3.5 to 4 hours, I am keeping my fingers crossed, I do have it set on High.

Will let you know what the finished meal is like.

Regards

Joe

[…] Preparation Read full directions on Picky Palate […]

brie says:

I love one pot dinners and my crock pot so this is so perfect for me!!

I have heard you should place the chicken over some rolled up aluminum foil balls at the bottom so the chicken doesn’t cook in its own fat/juices. I was just wondering your thoughts on this.

Deanna says:

I’m curious, can anyone suggest other veggies that would play well in this dish besides potatoes and carrots? We’re eating low carb and potatoes and carrots aren’t the best options for us. Thanks!