Apr
2012

Loaded Malted Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Cookies

I always have so much fun creating new desserts, this bar was no exception.  I LOVE malt flavor in my desserts so I knew this bar would be a huge hit.  I used my Malt powder AND some crushed chocolate malt balls.   Wait until you take your first bite, between the marshmallow bits and the malt balls, the texture is chewy and perfect.

Hope you enjoy!!

Here’s your line up!

The stars of the show here!  I had some Harry and David malt balls which are my favorite, but if you have just the good ol’ box of Whoppers, those will work too.

Break out your basic cookie ingredients.

I used some mini white chips, but regular white chips will work too!

Let’s cream the butter and sugars.

Add your egg.

…and some vanilla.

Slowly add your dry ingredients.

Add your chips and marshmallow bits!

Add some white chips

Crush your malt balls with a rolling pin, makes it nice and easy.

Add them right to the mix.

Time to mix!

Perfect-o!

Transfer to your baking dish.

Press nice and even.

Top with crushed malt balls and white chips.

Bake until deep golden brown and baked through.

Let cool, cut into squares and eat!

Loaded Malted Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

1 stick unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 cup malted milk powder

1 1/2 cups crushed malt balls

1 cup white chips

1 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup mini marshmallow bits

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line an 8×8 inch baking dish with foil that’s sprayed with non stick cooking spray.

2. Place butter and sugars into stand or electric mixer and cream until light and fluffy, at least 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla beating until well combined.

3. Place flour, baking soda, salt and malted milk powder into a large bowl, mixing to combine. Slowly add to wet ingredients along with 1 cup crushed malt balls, 3/4 cup white chips, chocolate chips and marshmallow bits. Beat on low until just combined.

4. Press dough into prepared baking dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup crushed malt balls and 1/4 cup white chips. Bake for 35-40 minutes until deep golden brown and baked through. Let cool for 20 minutes before removing from baking dish. Let cool completely before cutting into bars. Once cool, cut off 1/4 inch of the edges, then cut into bars.

Makes 9 bars

________________________________

Have a great day, come back soon!

Comments

Amanda says:

Oh yum, I love malted desserts too! Can’t wait to try these bars, they look fabulous! :)

Between the malt powder, malt balls, the marshmallows…all inside cookie dough, yes, I need these!

Kathryn says:

These look amazing Jenny!

I just bought a big thing of malt powder the other day and I’ve been looking for all kinds of recipes to use it in. I just found another one and it is going right to the top of my list :)

So gooey and delicious! I could just eat my screen. ;-)

I love when cookie bars are loaded with so many fun things! Time to start baking with malt powder:-)

oh, Jenny! these look SO good and loaded with such deliciousness! I have a feeling they taste like the ultimate brownie dessert. I’ve never worked with malt powder before but it looks like this is a great excuse to start ;)

I really should not read things like this before breakfast….

Wow, these bars look amazing!

Looks irresistible. I’ve been meaning to try the new marshmallow bits.

Yum!!! Love all the stuff you stuffed in these :)

Lauren says:

They look so ooey gooey and delicious!

I love a loaded bar! These look great Jenny!

Lori Allberry says:

Oh my goodness gracious Jenny!!!! You ROCK!!!! :o)
    I just made the malted milk cupcakes yesterday, and will DEFINITELY be making these puppies TONIGHT!

Yahoooo! I am so excited!

Thanks for yet another awesome recipe!

Lori :o)

Emily says:

YUM! I love malted milk balls. These look delicious!

Oh, Jenny! (Do all of my comment to you start that way?!?) ;)

I LOVE malt, too! Whoppers were my mom’s favorite candy! Love how you incorporated them into a cookie! Perfection!

Alessandra says:

Not sure what words to use to describe this wonderful creation, but it looks fantastic and I am going to make a batch myself, thanks for sharing.

Wow they look fab, i will be keeping that in mind and then in my tummy lol

teresa says:

Be still my MALT BALL loving heart!
    I love all things MALT BALL!
    Especially malted Easter eggs!
    Hugs from Bainbridge Jenny.
    Would love to know if you use Picnik for photo collages?
    Have no idea how I’m going to create photo collages after Picnik shuts down.
    xo

Cassie says:

These are loaded, for sure, just the way I like them! I love malt flavor!

I love malt and can’t wait to make these, the look so delicious!

Oh my goodness. These are loaded with total awesomeness! I love malt balls!

Goodness, those look wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe. These are going straight to the top of my “must try” list.
    ~Caroline

Those babies sure are loaded down – and I want to devour each and every one. ZOMG. Malt balls are my favorite Easter treat…esp when they come in the egg-form. :) Too bad I already ate all of them haha

zombiesgirl says:

and I was just wondering what I was going to do with all those leftover maltballs from easter :D

Heather B says:

These look scrumptious – I love anything with malt powder so these should be divine!

Lynna H. says:

oh gosh, these look like they`ll be SO TASTY! i bet everyone devoured them huh? ♥

These look so beautiful and tasty! I keep seeing more and more of the mini marshmallows in recipes, I might have to be more serious about hunting them down to try them out! Thanks for sharing!

Brigette says:

Where did you find mini white chips? I’ve never seen them.

Oh my goodness…these look fantastic! Love malt balls :)

Yummy!! I cannot think of anyone better that could pull off such decadent and delicious creations. xoxo

Deborah says:

I love a good cookie bar, and these are totally over the top! Yum!!

I love all your great cookie recipe inventions! These are no exception..yum~yum! :)

Zee says:

wow this looks amazing!

jane says:

I made these yesterday (they looked so great) and the edges puffed up and were very hard, the middle was great!! Not sure what I did wrong :(

Hi Jane, I cut off about 1/4 inch of all sides because I don’t love the crispy edges. I had to save them though because my family loves them. If you cut them off the rest of the bars are fantastic!

These look irresistible. My kids would be giving me multiple hugs and kisses if I made these.

These look insanely delicious! I love anything malted. I’ve still never seen those little marshmallows in the store. I’ll have to look closer new time. Nice one, Jenny!!

Linda says:

I had to laugh when I saw the stationary blob of dough sitting in the baking pan. It looks like the dough is merely a vehicle to hold all the goodies together. ;)

How do you achieve the perfectly cut bars? The only time I got bars that looked that good was when I froze the finished product for about 20 minutes. Yours look like they are still slightly warm and gooey from the oven.

These bars sound delicious! I can’t wait to buy some malt powder and try.

Chels R. says:

The next time I want to buy something and I think the hubs is going to say no, I’m seducing him with these malted bars. Malted anything is a huge weakness for him!

Beautiful! I have a feeling these are going to be a hit with the family.

oh MY! i think i just figured out my weekend plans…this looks amaze!!!

a peek of chic

[...] I made my Loaded Malted Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars last week and decided to surprise the boys with a warm bar after school topped with a big dollop of COOL WHIP.  It’s safe to say this made their afternoon very special.  To see the recipe click HERE. [...]

Oooh I love me some malt! These look fantastic, Jenny!

Alessandra says:

Hi Jenny! I want to make these this weekend but I’m having trouble finding the Marshmallow bits and the malted milk powder. I went to our local Tom Thumb but either I was looking in the wrong place or they didn’t have it. Any suggestions?

[...] Loaded Malted Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Picky Palate) I love chocolate chip cookie bars, and imagine that malt powder would take them to another level. Delish! [...]

Natasha says:

I just made these but I changed the recipe slightly as I didn’t have any malt milk powder. I used Milo, a malt chocolate instead so they were even richer. So so so good! Your ideas are incredible!

I’ve just developed a love for malt over the last two years, and I’ve been playing precious catch-up ever since :) These look amazing. Do you get your mini white chips from King Arthur Flour?

Well, Jenny, I just couldn’t help myself! I made a Treats With a Twist version of these beauties and they are amazing! Thanks for another inspiring recipe