Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Aug
2012

What To Pack in Your Hospital Bag When Having a Baby

Baby |

Hi friends!  As most of you know I am due to have this baby any day now.  These last couple weeks are going miserably slow!!  While I feel like I have most of what I need packed in my hospital bag, I would love to hear from you to make sure I am not forgetting anything.  Thanks in advance!

PS…how cute is this Petunia Pickle Bottoms Weekender Diaper Bag?  I don’t see my exact print, but there’s lots of cute ones.  I am in love with it!

Here’s What I have packed so far:

• Change of Clothes for coming home
  • My Make-up bag
  • Toothbrush, toothpaste
  • Deodorant
  • Camera
  • An outfit for baby to come home in
  • Car Seat ready in car

What else might I need?

xoxo

Jenny

Comments

Michelle says:

I am not a mommy yet, but I helped my cousin pack for my Godson’s arrival.
    Chapstick, fuzzy socks, robe, cell phone, chargers for all electronics, iPad or iPod (with a playlist with relaxing music), blanket (for a touch of home), hair brush and hair elastics, Aveno body lotion and body wash (your skin maybe more sensitive than usual), a towel ( hospital towels are a bit rough), Popsciles (since you cannot eat during labor).

Good luck and Happy Motherhood!

Susan G says:

I would definitely bring some music and headphones! Load it up with play lists of classical & some good mood tunes!!
    Maybe also some water bottles so you don’t have to rely on anyone to get you water after.
    Good Luck!

Linda says:

Your favorite brand of sanitary napkins. I am a brand snob, I didn’t like the ones the hospital provided. Congrats!!! I hope all goes well.

Zeta says:

dun forget comb/hair cream! or just wear snow cap hehe

Becca says:

I actually did a series of blog posts on this right before my second son arrived almost 4 months ago. I had googled “what to pack” but never found a comprehensive list, so I made one myself…http://lifeat1521.blogspot.com/search/label/packing%20your%20hospital%20bags

Hope it helps!

Lori says:

Although they have some at the hospital… I always bring my own lanolin cream. I slather that stuff on in the beginning stages of breastfeeding and it saves a lot of pain. Also…you might want to bring nursing bras, a laptop or tablet (to kill time during those up all night kind of nights) and SNACKS! If you are nursing… the hospital food wont be enough :)

Chapstick and your favorite pillow!

I’ve never had a baby but I would have said an iPad and I would definitely take my Kindle! I never leave home without it!

Julia says:

Slippers are great and all the other wonderful suggestions! You must bring a pair of sandals to wear in the shower! I had an old pair of crocs that were a last minute decision and so glad I brought them to walk in the hospital and while showering! Also, if you have to share a room with someone EAR PLUGS!

Liza says:

don’t forget your hairbrush :) … and I second the bathrobe (or you can ask for a 2nd hospital gown to wear backwards and cover the rear), slippers/flip flops/socks (so you don’t have to touch the hospital floor with your bare feet) and your nursing pillow (if you’re nursing), after my first c-section I told my husband to bring it and it made a world of difference. good luck and congrats

Mrsblocko says:

Music. Make up a playlist of relaxing or uplifting songs to listen to. Seven years later and I still remember what song was playing as my daughter was born.

Laura says:

An emory board small enough for baby ~ those babies come out with long nails and they tend to scratch themselves. And using the baby clippers is an art that must be learned… but an emory board can file them down!

A “Soothie” brand pacifier — it’s the kind newborns like! And don’t believe in the “nipple confusion” thing. Babies need to suck… and not always on you!

Be sure to have Mylecon drops at home as soon as you get home. Babies have gas. It makes their tummies hurt. Which makes them fussy. Mylecon works WONDERS.

Heidi says:

I just had a baby and in addition to what you are taking I brought my eye mask and ear plugs because hospitals are bright and noisy. Your hubby can bring you anything you decide you need after. Good Luck!

Julia S. says:

Definitely bring some slippers and bathrobe. If you stay overnight and you want to go to the nursery to see your baby, you’ll need something comfy. Also bring some big overnight maxi pads. I know, TMI but the hospital ones are not comfy and they tend to be on the cheap side (so not as absorbant). Trust me, you’ll thank me later!

I brought my own pillow, shampoo/conditioner, lots of Larabars (you’ll get hungry in the middle of the night), lanolin or motherlove nipple cream. Congratulations, so excited for you!!

Danielle Livingston says:

How about an extra, empty bag to bring home all the free supplies from the hospital!

Suzanne says:

My favorite thing that I brought when I had #3 is my own clothes to wear. I despise the hospital gowns. So, I brought my own comfy clothes to wear and it’s amazing how much better I felt!

Sarah P says:

Depending on how long you will be there, an electric razor for your legs. I was on bed rest for 2 weeks, no tub in the room, and it was embarrassing when people came in to see me and it looked like I was hiding sasquatch under the blankets. I made my husband go buy me something to shave with. Electric is less dangerous than regular razors when you can’t see everything.

Jessica N says:

Dermoplast! It si a numbing pain reliever spray. You can get it in most pharmacies. I had to have stitches and my mom bought it for me. It was a life saver! Next baby I am definitely bringing a can with me.

Kim in MD says:

I couldn’t have made it through labor without my favorite relaxing music. Good luck, Jenny! I know you can’t wait to meet your new little guy! :-)

Lisa S. says:

When I had my daughter, I took a gift to give her older brother…. So when he came to visit us he’d feel include in the celebration of his new sister!

Miranda says:

All I know is, for my first pregnancy I packed WAY too much! This time I am trying to pack only what I used (or wished I had) the last time around… Here is what I decided to pack in my bag: