Start the New Year Right with my Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies! They make the perfect afternoon snack with less guilt than your typical cookie…plus taste AMAZING!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
For the last couple weeks I’ve been perfecting this “healthier” chocolate chip cookie. I’ve been looking for just the right texture but less of the “bad stuff” in everyday cookies that I love so much.
For more healthy recipes, see my Skinny Palate! Be sure to follow Picky Palate on Instagram for sneak peeks on what’s going to the blog!
After tweaking my recipe a half dozen times I finally got it right! Buttery crisp around the edges yet soft and fabulous in the center.
Now, you’ll need to do a little shopping for some new flours. Trust me it will be worth it. You’ll need to get some Almond Meal, which is finely ground almond. You’ll also need Oat Flour which is, you guessed it, ground up oats. The oat flour makes the cookies so light. I am kinda obsessed with it. Both flours are available at your health food grocery store or you can find them on Amazon as well 🙂
Hope you enjoy my newest cookie recipe…..with a little less guilt!
Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies
I tried these cookies cooked a couple minutes longer and a couple minutes less to see what I liked best. The ones in the photo were baked 10 minutes. These were my favorite. I did a couple batches at 12 minutes and really enjoyed the crispiness. You choose what you like best.
Note: I baked these cookies twice. Once, right after mixing the ingredients and I then, I baked them after they were refrigerated for 24 hours. The ones in theses photos are the ones that were refrigerated for 24 hours. I highly recommend chilling the dough first. The dough that wasn’t chilled was still delicious, but less visually appealing. More flat and not as pretty. So, there you have it. Be patient and chill your dough before baking them.
Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Place coconut oil and butter in large mixing bowl, beating to combine. Add sugars, mixing well then ad egg and vanilla. Stir well then add almond meal, oat flour, all purpose flour, salt, baking soda and chocolate chips. Stir until just combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 3-4 hours
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a split liner. Use a small cookie scoop and place dough 1 inch apart onto baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until baked through. Remove and let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring. Enjoy room temperature.
Pin Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies
My kids will love these! They have been begging me for some new treats. Do you think it is possible to make them gluten-free?
Is the 4 T of coconut oil in a liquid state, soft, or solid?
Ahhh! These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing.
I was excited to find this site. I wanted to thank you for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you book marked to check out new things in your web site.
This means I can eat more, right?!