Oct
2012

One Bowl Homemade Chocolate Chunk and Toffee Chip Brownies

Tags: ,

Desserts

These might be my favorite brownie recipe yet.  Thick, chewy and perfectly chocolatey with bits of toffee and chocolate chunks.  Not sure it gets much better than that :)

I used all of one bowl to prepare these, can you handle how difficult?  Haha, seriously, these are so simple it’s silly to not try the deliciousness yourself.

Enjoy!!

Start with one stick of butter and melt it until nice and hot in the microwave.

Pour in your semi-sweet chocolate chips and give a nice stir.  They’ll melt quickly.

See?  They all don’t need to be melted, so no worries if you have a few chips partially melted.

Time for the dry ingredients.

Add them right to the bowl.

Some sugar :)

A little brown sugar.

Time for a little mix.

Add two whole large eggs plus one extra yolk.

A touch of vegetable oil.  Then give a nice stir until thick and well combined.

Here’s the fun part, the chocolate chunks!  I keep mine large and in charge, but you can even use chocolate chips and these will be fantastic.

I also added a generous portion of milk chocolate toffee bits.  Heath Brand.

Mix, mix, mix.

Transfer to an 8×8 inch baking pan and now it’s time to bake.

Ahhhh, perfect!

I might frame this picture so I can look at it everyday, lol!  Yum!

Perfect brownies, according to me :)  Enjoy!

One Bowl Homemade Chocolate Chunk and Toffee Chip Brownies

One Bowl Chocolate Chunk and Toffee Chip Brownies 5 text Ingredients

• 1 stick/8 tablespoons unsalted softened butter
  • 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup all-purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cups chocolate chunks
  • 8 ounce bag milk chocolate toffee chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line an 8×8 inch baking dish with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
  2. Place butter into a large mixing bowl and microwave until melted and hot, about 45 seconds or so. Pour in chocolate chips and stir until mostly melted. It’s ok, if it’s not perfectly smooth. Add flour, salt and sugars. Mix a few times then add egg yolks and oil. Mix until well combined then add chocolate chunks and toffee chips.
  3. Transfer batter to prepared baking dish, spreading evenly. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked through.

Makes 9-12 Servings

This post is in partnership with Gold Medal Flour, but opinions are my own.

Comments

My fave brownie recipe is a one bowl number, too. There’s something huge to be said for not getting out a mixer, dirtying a bunch of dishes and still getting your chocolate fix on. They look great, Jenny!

This recipe is AMAZING! They look so yummy and one bowl?!?! I mean – you cant really get easier! I am making these tonight – they are easy enough to make on a week night! Thanks for sharing!

I LOVE how fudgy they look – yum!

Just look at all that fudgy goodness in there! YUM!

I want these in my life today!!

I cannot even believe how amazing these look!! So fudgy. Cannot WAIT to try them!!

purelytwins says:

we would print that fram off too and drool over it :)
    these brownies look AMAZING!

I usually use Ghirardelli brownie mix because they’re almost like homemade but these look so good that I’ll have to give them a try.

Stephanie says:

I especially love that this is a one bowl recipe. =)

Stampinjul says:

OH MY!!!! I am drooling on my computer keyboard! Chocolate with a touch of toffee? I’m in trouble! Thanks…I think!

These are now going to be my favorite brownie recipe as well :) ALWAYS love your recipes!

These are some fiiiine brownies! Love this idea!

Madeleine says:

I would definitely frame that picture! These brownies look great…those are some HUGE chocolate chunks!

Those look amazing! I love how toffee bakes into things…so chewy and delicious when hot, and the perfect crunch when cool. Can’t wait to try these!

Oh goodness! These look super tasty! I love how you make all your recipes into extremely easy ones :) Im definitely looking forward to adding these to my mix of recipes!

Carol H says:

This looks delicious. Do you remember what kind of chocolate you used for the chocolate chunks………milk or semisweet and which brand?
    Thanks!

Hi Carol,
      I use bloc chocolate usually from Trader Joe’s but any of your favorite chocolate that you can cut into chunks works great :)

To add entire pieces of chocolate is a wonderful idea ! I’m going to try this this week end !!

Totally making these – so excited I have all the ingredients!

Wendy says:

These look amazing! I’ve never tried toffee chips in brownies and I can’t wait to give this a try.

Those are some gorgeous brownies!

marla says:

Love how tasty these brownies look and that there is only one bowl to clean up!

Those do look pretty darn perfect. I would like to frame that picture too. lol

Loretta E says:

These contain all of the things that I love in a brownie…absolutely delicious-looking!!

One-bowl brownies are the best! These in particular look so perfectly dense and chewy. Yummmm. Love the mix-ins too.

These look as wonderful as you describe them! Those huge chunks of chocolate look so yummy and I love how dense they look! Someone from work requested brownies, so I think I will be making these this week!

These look awesome!! Love how easy they are :)

Lore says:

Which Trader Joe chocolate bar is this..? I want to make them exactly like the picture.
    Thanks!

Amazaramadingdong!! I love how your chunks are actually chunks, sometimes chunks have to overrule chips!!

Lara says:

I LOVE the one dish part! They look amazing!

Those look out of control good!

Courtney says:

These do look perfect! Fudgey and amazing. Plus toffee, like my favorite thing ever! Can’t wait to try them.

Kathryn says:

I’ve just put these into the oven! My poor 8×8 pan looked like it was about to overflow, so I put the batter into a 9×9. They look amazing so far!

Kathryn says:

They came out beautifully! I’ll definitely make this recipe again. They also freeze very well, which is nice, because I certainly don’t need a whole pan of brownies just sitting on the kitchen counter!

These brownies look so dense and rich! I want to go make a pan right now :)

Lorna says:

Made this yesterday and the brownie is really moist and yummy! I love toffee chips and use them in cookies all the time, but didn’t like the taste in these brownies. I had to bake for about 45 minutes – they are very thick and dense. Good recipe, but I think I would omit the toffee next time.

Annette says:

Well I made this recipe this afternoon, baked it for 40min and it seemed like it was cooked but when I went to slice it after it cooled I found the centre wasn’t cooked through at all. So they’re back in the oven in the hopes they’ll be ready (and okay) for the dinner I’m going to in half an hour!

Annette says:

Baked them another 20 min, then stuck them in the freezer to cool them down. Tried cutting them again (was already late for my dinner at that point) and it was still uncooked in the middle. Now that it’s sat in the fridge for a few hours the outside parts are edible but the middle is still more like a soft sticky fudge. My oven is working fine so I have no idea what went wrong with this.

I’m having the same problem! I’ve tried cooking them longer and letting them set on the counter but they’re still pure goo! :(

Liz says:

Oh, man, these look heavenly!!!

Danielle says:

I made these today and there delicious! I forgot to include brown sugar and vegetable oil and the brownies we’re moist and full of chocolatey goodness. Thanks!

[...] Inspired from Picky Palate’s blog. [...]

kita says:

You had me at one bowl. the Toffee chips were like the cherry on top. :)

Carrie says:

This looks sooo yummy, I can’t wait to try! Do you use milk chocolate for the chocolate chunks?

[...] also needed to bake – badly. This sublime One Bowl Homemade Chocolate Chunk and Toffee Chip Brownie from the fabulous Picky Palate was exactly what I needed. Quick, easy and mind-blowingly good. [...]

Laura says:

I have to say these are now my favorite Brownie – well done! Very rich, but extremely amazing. Thank you!

[...] Recipe adapted from Picky Palate [...]

Brooke says:

I followed the recipe exactly and mine turned out kind of dry. Why would that be? They smelled good, but they are just dry and crumbling. Feeling kind of bummed about it.

Is it possible that the chocolate chips weren’t melted enough or had already mostly set up again before you added the flour? If the chips are dry, it removes a lot of the moisture.

Heidi says:

This did not turn out for me. 40 minutes was not enough time. I left it in the oven for one hour and it still didn’t look cooked. I let it set overnight and this morning it was dry on the outside and undercooked on the inside. I liked the idea of the chocolate chunks and the toffee but I will not be making this again.

Large Marge says:

Jenny,
    Jenny Jenny Jenny
    that is your name
    this is not a game
    but name and game all sound the same
    i know, that’s pretty lame
    but i am not to blame
    i didn’t mean to cause any shame
    but i sure am glad i came
    i hope your blog gains fame
    and explodes like a flame
    this poem is not very tame
    but i only have one aim
    and that is for you to love this so much, you put it in a frame
    Love Always,
    Large Marge

oluznar says:

These were the best ever easiest and the funniest I made two changes I baked ion 9 x 9 pan and I used dark chocolate peanut butter cups from trader Joe’s and omitted the heath chips funniest ever thank you!!

Lauren says:

These brownies are amazing! I had to bake mine 45 minutes for them to be done, but they turned out great. I’m going to bake another batch for the Super Bowl on Sunday!