May
2013

Frosted Flakes Macarons

Tags: , , , ,

Cookies

Frosted Flakes Macarons by Picky Palate

You are probably thinking I have got a weird obsession with Frosted Flakes.  Well, I had to do one more recipe with them before moving on to another cereal, lol!  As you can see I did a Frosted Flakes Macaron!

I am so happy how these turned out.  I used the same shortcut methods as my Cookies and Cream Macarons.  See that post for full details of the shortcuts.  I’d say from start to finish these took about 45 minutes.  No joke.

Invest in a food scale (no more than $30), some piping bags, tips and you are ready to get started.  I want to take the fear out of making macarons because I am telling you, I am no trained professional.  Just a home cook like you experimenting :)  Give it a try!

Good luck and have fun!

Frosted Flakes Macarons-1t

One thing I really love about making macarons is the few ingredients it takes to make them.  What you see here is literally what you will need for the shells.  These ingredients were all weighed on a food scale which is a must.  No shortcut for that.  See recipe for details.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-2

I like to start by whisking/beating the eggs and sugar since it takes some time.  I’d say 5 minutes max until you achieve stiff peaks.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-7

Stiff peak!  Yay!

Frosted Flakes Macarons-3

Time to sift your powdered sugar, almond meal/flour and finely crushed Frosted Flakes (I placed the cereal in a Ziploc and rolled my rolling pin over them until finely crushed).

Frosted Flakes Macarons-4

You’ll place the stirred mixture into a fine sieve or traditional sifter.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-6

You want everything to be finely sifted like so.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-8

Time to fold in your stiff egg whites.  Fold gently until combined.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-9

Like so :)

Frosted Flakes Macarons-10

You’ll place the macaron batter into a piping bag with a large round tip attached.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-11

Pipe little rounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet, then bake for 21-24 minutes in a 280 degree preheated oven.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-13

How pretty are they?!  Gorgeous little macarons in no time at all.  Now, let them cool before removing them from the parchment.  Make your buttercream while you are waiting.

powdered sugar

I did a simple Honeyed Frosted Flakes Buttercream……it’s to die for.  Just mix your butter and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth to start.

Frosted Flakes

You’ll add 1 tablespoon of honey and a small handful (1/4 cup) Frosted Flakes, crushed slightly.  Give a good stir.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-19

Place the buttercream into a separate piping bag with large round tip attached and pipe a little dollop into the center of half of the macarons.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-20

Sandwich together and voila’!  Done….finished…..ready to munch :)

Frosted Flakes Macarons-21

I had a house full of little boys over while I was photographing and this is what I was dealing with–they couldn’t wait to dig in.

Frosted Flakes Macarons-25t

Enjoy!

Frosted Flakes Macarons

Frosted Flakes Macarons-24t Ingredients

• 95 grams egg whites (close to 3 large egg whites)
  • 65 grams almond meal/flour
  • 200 grams powdered sugar
  • 25 grams granulated sugar
  • 45 grams finely ground up Frosted Flakes Cereal

Honeyed Frosted Flakes Buttercream

• 1 stick softened unsalted butter
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honeyr
  • 1/4 cup Frosted Flakes Cereal

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 280 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Weigh your egg whites, almond flour, powdered sugar, granulated sugar and ground Frosted Flakes Cereal on your food scale.
  2. In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment add your weighed out egg whites, and sugar beating on medium speed. Beat on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Takes close to 5 minutes. See pictures for visuals. Set aside for a couple minutes.
  3. Place the powdered sugar, almond flour and Frosted Flakes into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Place in a sifter or fine sieve and sift until all dry ingredients have passed through. Gently fold in the egg whites to the dry ingredients, mixing only until just combined. See pictures for visuals
  4. Place batter into a large pastry bag with a large round tip attached. Pipe rounds, about 1/2 inch apart onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Give a good tap or two of the pan to remove any bubbles.
  5. Bake macarons for 22-25 minutes. You’ll see a shell on top with “feet” around the edges. Let cool completely before removing. Once cooled, take an offset spatula to loosen from parchment. Pair the macarons close in size to each other to prepare for filling.
  6. To prepare buttercream, beat softened butter and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. Add honey and 1/4 cup crushed Frosted Flakes to the frosting, beating until combined. Place buttercream into a medium pastry bag with a large round tip attached and pipe a dollop of frosting on the center of a macaron and top with a second macaron. Serve room temperature. Store any remaining macarons in the refrigerator.

Makes 22-24 macarons

Please note that all ovens are very different. These tips and instructions are a reflection from my kitchen and my oven. Play around with my tips but baking time may vary depending on individual oven temps. Good luck and have fun!!

Comments

Bekka Sue says:

SO glad you posted this! I have left over frosted flakes from your cookies (which btw are delicious!) and I wasn’t sure how to use them–utill now! I love how I can count on your recipes to taste great every time!

Now this is a way to turn traditional macarons on their heads! Love your creativity :)

Orla says:

Love these! I tried making nut-free macarons for Mother’s Day but they were a disaster! Definitely going to try again, your’s look perfect! :)

They’re so perfect! Love the fun flavor of these. Totally breakfast worthy ;)

These look so good! I like that you used Frosted Flakes to make them :)

Tieghan says:

So creative! I bet your boys loved these!! Heck I would love these. I want these for breakfast now! LOL!

Brilliant idea! I love these!

These are adorable! I am so in love with the addition of Frosted Flakes — GENIUS. :)

What a fantastic idea! These macarons look amazing:)

keisha says:

These are so cool, i love it! The idea is just pure genius!

These are my favorite macarons yet!!

Those macrons look so good! Is it wrong that I want them, along with a glass of milk, for breakfast?

Jenny, these are totally mind-blowing! Genius! :)

sandy says:

These look soo delicious. Don’t the macarons need to rest before you bake them?

Eeeppp! These look amazing! After your last post, I had every intention of running to the kitchen to try macarons but there was a mysterious powdered sugar shortage at my grocery store! I’ve finally got my hands on some and I can’t wait to give them a shot. You’ve totally taken the fear out of macarons for me :)

These treats look amazingly good. So nice to meet you this past weekend.

I am loving that you have such a simpler way to make macarons. I may have to finally try baking my own over the nice three day weekend coming up!

Amanda says:

I dont think I could love this idea more! :)

So, I’m thinking the only word to describe these bad boys would be, epic! OMG!!

Oh my Jenny – they look fabulous! Macarons are on my list of things I want to try to make this year and I can not wait to try your recipe!

I love the frosted flakes addition, these are 100% on my list to make very soon!

marla says:

Such a fun & light hearted twist on macarons!

Amanda says:

What a great creation! These look so yummy and turned out perfect :)

Wow!! these look great!!!

I’m so in heart with these!! Since they have cereal in them, I can totally eat 8 for breakfast right? Right?!! :)

Auntiepatch says:

Grams??? Google says cups to grams depends on what you are measuring. Can you reprint this using cups for us dummies, please???

These are too fun!

These are sooo pretty! What a cool use for Frosted Flakes!

Milena says:

So glad you posted this!! I don´t know how many grams we have in one stick of butter, could you measure 1 stick of butter please? Thanks!!

nessa says:

Since they’re made with cereal, am I allowed to eat them for breakfast?

Love! I could probably down about 10 of these cookies. I used to love frosted flakes when I was a kid :)

Get outta town! You are totally on a roll with the Frosted Flakes baking, Jenny! These are incredible.

Jo F. says:

Oh no you didn’t! ;) Well, what else could you do with the rest of those Frosted Flakes?? LOVE it! These look super yummy!

You are loving the frosted flakes recipes these days! Looks great, another delicious recipe :)

wow! you’re really doing some awesome/creative things with these macarons!! i’m so jealous you’ve pretty much perfected making them!! these are so cute and creative :)

I am so in love with these! Macarons are awesome as is but adding frosted flakes makes them irresistible. I love when cereal or other store bought treats are added to homemade baked goods!

Why are you so awesome?

I love these! They are like the wonderful sister of your cookies and cream macarons!

Anne says:

You have totally ruined a beautiful confection perfected by the French by introducing Frosted Flakes. So embarrassingly American of you. These are, contrary to what your legions of lemmings are saying…completely disgusting.

Abby says:

oh, i love these so much! such a creative and fun idea! i’ll definitely be giving them a try… :)

J Gurka says:

So delicious Calorie Count???

Emily says:

I love making stuff with Frosted Flakes!! I just made Frosted Flake Crusted French Toast & it was awesome!! Ill have to try some of yours, these look yummy!!

What a fun recipe idea! I’ve never seen anything like this. Yum!

Serena Sim says:

Your recipe is GREAT! I was so afraid to bake macarons because many of my friends failed but seeing yours give me confident and indeed it was a great success for a first try! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

sandra says:

sounds delicious! would cream cheese frosting go well with this? had leftovers from making red velvet

Macaronstore says:

Grrreeaattttt idea!

[…] tea party at the Flintstones’. Recipe here . You can also make Frosted Flakes Macarons and Fruit Loops […]

[…] tea party at the Flintstones’. Recipe here. You can also make Frosted Flakes Macarons and Fruit Loops […]