Green Chili Chicken and Bacon Mac and Cheese
Tags: bacon, cheddar cheese, chives, green chili, mac and cheese, pasta
Words cannot describe how much I love this recipe. This post is part 2 of “How to Make the Perfect Mac and cheese” from earlier this week, however part 1 is also shown here. Both are amazing, but the additions make this a winning mac and cheese.
Take a look and make yourself a big pot….today!
Let’s start by cooking your pasta. Make sure you do NOT overcook your pasta. You want a nice bite to your pasta so there’s some texture. I always cook it 1 minute less than the box says so there’s a little bite. It also cooks more in the cheese sauce.
Once your pasta is cooked al dente, drain.
Let the pasta sit aside for a few minutes while you prepare the roux.
To make a simple and flavorful roux, start by melting a stick of butter in a medium saucepan.
Whisk in the flour.
Whisk in the salt and pepper. A very important step is to continue stirring for a good 3-4 minutes until roux turns a bit darker in color. It becomes richer and even more fabulous.
Slowly stir in the milk until mixture is thick and creamy. This step will take a couple minutes over medium heat.
Bring on the cheese!
I prefer a finely shredded mild cheddar. It melts quickly and has a perfect “cheddar” flavor.
Time to transfer your cooked pasta back to a large dutch oven or pot.
Pour that fabulous cheese sauce over your noodles.
Perfect! You can eat the mac and cheese just like this if you’d like or keep scrolling down for the rest of the recipe.
Green chilies and chicken please.
Bacon and salsa verde.
I used about 1/4 cup chopped chives. Green onions work too, but I like how small the chives are Give it a good stir and you are ready to eat! Note: To thin the sauce add tablespoons of milk until your desired consistency. We like it thick, so you be the judge.
Green Chili, Chicken and Bacon Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 pound dry small pasta, I used elbow
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups milk, I used skim
- 2 cups finely shredded mild cheddar cheese
- two 4 ounce cans diced green chilies
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked, crumbled bacon pieces (about 1 pound cooked)
- 1/4 cup mild salsa verde
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside for a few minutes.
- To prepare roux, melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once melted whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes until color of roux will gets slightly darker. Slowly whisk in milk, stirring continuously until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in cheese until melted.
- Transfer cooked pasta to large dutch oven or pot over low heat. Pour cheese sauce over top, stirring to combine.
- Add green chilies, chicken, bacon and salsa verde, stirring to combine. This is a thick and creamy sauce. To thin sauce, add additional tablespoons of milk at a time until at desired consistency.
Makes 6-8 Servings
This post contains affiliate links.