This Creamy Romano Chicken Farro makes a delicious side dish or light dinner. Add any vegetable you have in the refrigerator that needs using up!
Have you tried farro before? I just had some of the best farro I’ve ever had in Park City a couple weekends ago from the amazing Deer Valley Resort chefs. It was cheesy and fabulous. I made my own version for you today, it is down right irresistible.
I highly recommend this 10 minute Farro from Trader Joe’s–it literally cooks up in 10 minutes. Quick and easy! Farro is one of those ancient grains. The best part is there’s plenty of vitamins A, B, C, & E, fiber, protein, and magnesium. For more info on Farro, see here.
Time to make the cheese sauce. Start by melting your butter and whisking in your flour, salt and pepper.
Slowly whisk in your milk until thickened and hot.
Stir in your cheese, I used fresh grated Romano cheese today. A delicious choice.
Stir for a few minutes until nice and thick.
Pour your cheese sauce into the cooked Farro.
Dip your finger in just for kicks 🙂
I used some steamed asparagus, but haricot vert works great as well. Stir in some cooked shredded chicken too.
Wait until you taste this. I topped mine with a little hot sauce for a little kick. Enjoy!
Creamy Romano Chicken Farro
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 10 min | Total time: 30 min
- 8.8 ounces Farro, I used the 10 minute Farro from Trader Joes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Gold Medal all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk, I used unsweetened almond milk which works great too
- 1 cup freshly grated Romano Cheese
- 1/2 pound steamed asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Cook farro according to package directions. Drain and set aside for a few minutes.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper whisking until thickened and bubbly, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk, stirring until thickened. This takes a few minutes. When thickened, add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Place cooked farro into a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Pour cheese sauce over farro and add steamed asparagus and cooked shredded chicken. Stir and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 6 Servings
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.