Mar
2014

After Workout Shake | Vega Protein

Tags: , , , ,

Drinks

I’m excited to turn the time over to my husband today who is the fitness guru of the family.  He’s also my trainer at the gym, no matter how much I kick and scream :) With all of my recent travels, I made him promise to make me watch what I eat and workout like a mad woman for the next 6 weeks.  He’s sharing a little of what we’re doing.  Take it away Cullen!

Feeding yourself nutrition at the proper time is important for a fit lifestyle.  This after workout shake will help in this goal.

After Workout Shake

Over the last week or so Jenny and I have started a little 6 week challenge.  Our rules are: 1 cheat meal a week, 3 sweets a week, and a balance of protein, complex carbohydrates and plenty of fiber. We’re somewhat counting calories, although not religiously.  Jenny’s goal is to stay around 1200 cal per day.  With this challenge, Jenny has finally given me “trainer” and “nutrition” authority over her life for 6-weeks.  It’s basically, me giving her options that she can eat and pushing her harder than she has ever known in the gym.

So, today we bring you a shake I (Cullen) have been making for some time.  I like to drink it around workout time, preferably after work out.  I will discuss with you two different types of supplements we’ve been using from Vega.  We use the Vega Sport performance protein powder in this recipe, however feel free to  go try the Vega One that I discuss, or your protein powder that you currently use.  Sprouts Farmers Market has had the Vega Sport on sale (normally $59) for about $47 which is a good price.  Amazon sales it for $49.99.

After Workout Shake with Vega Sport Protein Powder

I first came across the Vega protein supplement while shopping at Whole Food in Newport Beach (Ohh how I miss the area and weather of Newport Beach, CA).  As I was saying, the company was on location giving samples of their Vega One all-in-one nutritional shake.  At the time, I’ve had in my mind the idea to create my own protein supplement that provided key nutrients that I was targeting my diet after.  They were vegetables, fiber, omega-3, and protein.  So, needless to say, my attention was granted.  In addition to the nutrients I just listed, Vega One has antioxidants, and probiotics, along with vitamins & minerals.

After Workout Shake with Vega Sport Protein

Nutrients of Vega One

Have you ever tried proteins from plants?  Such as, protein from peas, SaviSeed, brown rice, and alfalfa.  It is definitely an acquired taste.  It may take a week or so to get used to it, but push through and you’ll love it in no time.  It’s actually why I created this recipe so I could minimize the sting my tastebuds were receiving from the plant based proteins.  Even Jenny loved this recipe first try.  What’s funny is that I’m not longer the “picky palate” of the bunch as the wonderful Mrs. Jenny has surpassed me in pickiness.

So if you decide to try Vega, use it in this recipe first and then give it a shot with just water.  And, if you were wondering – No, I am not vegan.  No, I am not a vegetarian.  No, this is not a sponsored post by the Vega company.  I just like incorporating plants into my diet.

Keep in mind that you can substitute any protein powder that you currently use in place of the Vega Sport Protein I used in this recipe.

Now, if your looking for more protein (26g), amino acids (5,357 mg), L-Glutamine (5,318 mg), and digestive enzymes (340 mg) for after your work out–then Vega Sport Protein has this.

And please keep in mind we are not offering fitness and medical advice with these products.  We like to use them and simply want to share what we are doing.  It’s always wise to seek for advice from a professional if you are starting a new diet or exercise routine.

After Workout Shake with Vega Sport Protein Powder

First put in the spinach, banana, old fashioned rolled oats, walnuts, cinnamon, and flax seed into your blender.  Now, I forgot to put in the spinach until later but it doesn’t matter.  Also, this recipe was designed to have enough liquid to not go beyond the “max” line in the 600 watt Nutribullet.  However, you can use any blender to make this wonderful shake.

After Workout Shake with Vega Sport Protein Powder

Pour in your liquid and then add the protein powder.  It’s important for the protein powder to go in on top when using a Nutribullet since you flip the cup over to blend.  Otherwise, the powder sticks to the bottom of the cup and is difficult to incorporate.  Don’t forget to top with ice.

After Workout Shake with Vega Sport Protein Powder

Blend until desired consistency is reached.

After Workout Shake

You get a slightly different taste depending on if you add nuts and oats.  When Jenny is looking for less calories I’ll limit or remove the higher calorie oats and walnuts.  If you include all ingredients listed, the calorie count will be somewhere in the 500 range.  Removing oats and walnuts could bring it down to the 300 – 400 range.

After Workout Shake with Vega Sport Protein Powder

The great thing about this shake is there’s nothing but goodness inside.

One for Jenny and one for me!

After Workout Shake with Vega Sport Protein Powder

AFTER WORKOUT SHAKE

After Workout Shake with Vega Sport Protein PowderPrep time: 5 min | Cook time: 5 min | Total time: 10 min

Ingredients

• Small handful of organic baby spinach
  • 1 medium banana
  • 2 tablespoons old fashioned rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons walnuts
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground flax seed
  • 1/2 cup filtered water
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 scoop Vega Protein Powder, or protein powder of choice
  • Small handful of Ice

OPTIONAL TO DECREASE THE CALORIES AND CARBOHYDRATES – REMOVE THE FOLLOWING:

Directions

1. Place spinach, banana, oats, walnuts, cinnamon, and flax seed into a blender or Nutribullet. NOTE: This recipe will fit into a 600watt Nutribullet.
  2. Place water and almond milk into your blender.
  3. Place Vega Sport Protein powder (or protein powder of your choice) and top with ice.
  4. Blend until desired consistency is reached.

Makes 2 1/2 Cups

Comments

marla says:

GREAT healthy shake Jenny!

LOVE a good healthy post-work out shake, Jenny! This looks amazing.

What a perfect post-workout shake! I need to get on this asap after my barre classes!!

Perfect post workout shake! Good luck with your challenge!

This sounds wonderful! I love Vega!

Love this shake! Definitely need to try it!

Perfect! I really needed to find a good post workout one! Can’t wait to give it a try!

I love Vega!!! I have been on the road for weeks too, and my husband and I just said that we were going to desperately try to get back on the wagon when we get home in a few days. Shakes all around!

I already had my spinach shake this morning but I’m bookmarking this to try soon.

Great goals, you guys!! Very inspiring.

naomi says:

You have your own personal trainer-awesome! Love the shake and how informative the post is!

This looks like the perfect mix of carbs and protein for recovery post-workout. We haven’t tried the Vega products, but will keep an eye out for them. And by the way, I love your view on moderation…a doable meal plan that doesn’t make you feel deprived.

Tieghan says:

I love that you have your own trainer, that is awesome!! And so is this shake. Cant wait to try it!

Malinda says:

I miss my vega one! I was drinking the chocolate with a banana, almond milk and spinach every morning until I got pregnant. I stopped because of the grape seed extract. Any thoughts on that? Maybe I will check to see if the sport version has it. I am allergic to whey so it was a great shake for me.

Yes, the sport version does not have grape seed extract. We have not heard about grape seed extract being bad for pregnancy. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Cullen

Great way to refuel (or pre-fuel)! Great shake & pinned!

Jennifer says:

Cute post! I’m curious, how many grams of protein does this shake give you if you include the oats and nuts?

The walnuts and oats are about 2g of protein each, and probably a 1-2 grams with the banana and flax seed…for a total of about 29 grams.

Nicole says:

This is good stuff. I have heard good things about Vega One. Maybe this post is a sign I should buy it. Thanks for this!

Gaby says:

What a great healthy shake!

Monica says:

I don’t like Vega One but I do love the Garden of Life Raw Fit and Raw Protein. You should check their stuff out they don’t have stevia in it and it has a much better taste. My option but I do work for a natural organic grocery store and have tried the Vega, Terra, and Garden of Life and Garden of Life is what we use in all of our smoothies.

Billie says:

This is really yummy. I have made it twice already. Thanks a bunch.

Dianne Thu says:

Hi! The day I signed up for your Blog you had a recipe for chicken thighs that you put
    in a baking dish with dry seasonings and buttermilk poured over the top. It looked very good and I would like to try it. Please Email me the recipe. Thank you, Dianne

Margie says:

That looks like a great shake to try! Another good plant protein based shake is the Plant Fusion line. I love it when yummy stuff is good for you!

leslie says:

Ohh thanks for this post. I am always trying to get more protein in my smoothies!

laly says:

simple nourishing drink for the workers

Wowguy says:

Now that would almost make it worth working out

Lauren says:

Gosh, I run so much and then some days add strength training on top of it! This sounds like it’d be perfect for an energizing pick-me-up or just something simple to make when I don’t have time to actually cook!

Check out my blog? http://cupcakechasers.blogspot.com/

[…] your protein stores with this recipe, which contains baby spinach, banana, flax seeds, and almond […]

Protein247 says:

I think that what you published made a lot of sense. However,
    think about this, suppose you added a little information? I am noot saying your contrnt isn’t solid., but what if
    you added a headline that makes people desire more?
    I mean After Workout Shake | Vega Sport Protein Powder |
    Picky Palate is kinda plain. You might glance att Yahoo’s front page
    annd note how they create article titles too grab people interested.
    You might add a related video or a related piic or two too get people interrested about what you’ve got too say.
    Just my opinion, it could bring your blog a little bit more
    interesting.