Happy Thursday!! Hope your week is treating you well 🙂 I posted some of my favorite Memorial Day Pictures from our Day Trip to San Diego if you’d like to take a peek, check it out on my Life in OC page, you can subscribe to that page as well….upper right corner of the page 🙂
I’ve got a fun cinnamon sweet cupcake to share with you today. Crumb cakes/coffee cakes are typically done with yellow cake, but I decided I wanted to give it a try with my favorite chocolate cake recipe…..and yes, it was really good! You get little bites of slightly crunchy, cinnamon buttery topping with every bite of cupcake. I LOVED these, the boys really enjoyed them too!
My friend Beth Royals created the crumb topping from her Starbucks Coffee Cake, from back in early 2008 when I just started my blog. I just halved the crumb topping here. Hope you’ll all enjoy, bake up some cupcakes this weekend 🙂
Here’s your line up 🙂
The items you’ll need for the crumb topping….it’s seriously the best crumb topping ever!
Break out your favorite cupcake liners 🙂
Mix up your cake mix and fill em’ up!
While the cupcakes are partially baking, prepare the crumb topping….cut up some cold butter and mix with the ingredients listed below 🙂
Spoon some jam over partially baked cupcakes, then sprinkle with the crumb topping….back in the oven they go!
Ta-da! Love these 🙂
Chocolate Crumb Topped Cupcakes
- 1 box devils food cake mix
- 1 small box chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 oz sour cream
- 3/4 cup of your favorite jam warmed in the microwave until melted
- Beth Royals Crumb Topping
- 1 stick cold butter cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tablespoon pure vanilla
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer, beat the cake mix, pudding, eggs, oil, water, and sour cream until well combined. Will appear to be nice and thick 🙂 Fill 24 muffin cups 1/2 full and bake for 12 minutes.
- While cupcakes are partially baking, place cold butter cubes, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and vanilla into a stand mixer. Beat until combined and crumbly looking. After cupcakes have baked for 12 minutes, remove from oven spoon jam over tops then sprinkle with crumb mixture, pressing down slightly. Bake for another 15 minutes or until toothpick comes clean when poked into centers.
- Let cool, then sprinkle with powdered sugar.
While I was baking up these cupcakes, I had a superhero come to visit. He was very interested in my choice of cupcake liners!! LOL! I love my little Superhero 🙂
Have a great rest of your week and weekend!! Come back soon!
question instant pudding or cook and serve pudding
So you don’t have to use the jam correct?
I love crumb topping and these look AMAZING! Totally have to try these
hello!,I really like your writing very so much! proportion we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL? I require an expert in this space to unravel my problem. May be that is you! Having a look ahead to peer you.
I’ve read some just right stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you put to make this kind of wonderful informative site.
These look awesome Jenny, never had a crumb topping on a chocolate cupcake before. Great idea!
this looks soo yummy! would it still taste good without the pudding?
That’s it. It’s settled. I’m moving in–I hope you have room. I mean really? Holy cow YUM!!!!
Where on Earth did you find those cupcake liners? They are tooo cuuuute! I must get some! : )
omg, these look amazing! I just found your site and see a lot of awesome things.
Chocolate crumb topping… swoon!