Look no further, I’ve got the best Egg Salad Recipe that is made with simple ingredients that you are likely to have on hand! Weather you’re enjoying egg salad in sandwiches or spread over crackers, you’ll be making this recipe on repeat for your family and friends.
Wait Until You Try This Egg Salad Sandwich!
An egg salad sandwich is such a great comfort food. Reminds me of summers at my grandmother’s house enjoying all of her home cooked foods. I love that making egg salad is simple and no fuss. You prepare your hard boiled eggs and add mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, dill and even chives if you’d like. It’s classic and so great for celebrations of all kinds. Makes the absolute best egg salad sandwich with your favorite bread layered with lettuce leaves.
Follow Picky Palate on Instagram for daily recipe inspiration.
What You’ll Need To Make Egg Salad
Let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need to make the best egg salad. See recipe card below for full instructions.
- hard boiled eggs– Make sure your eggs are fresh for best hard boiled eggs. See my instructions below on boiling the perfect hard boiled eggs.
- mayonnaise– Use a full fat mayonnaise for best results.
- mustard– I like to use classic regular mustard for my egg salad. You can try Dijon mustard if you’d like too.
- kosher salt– Kosher salt is a coarse salt commonly used in cooking and baking.
- freshly ground black pepper– For best tasting results use freshly ground black pepper.
- dried dill weed– I generally use dried dill weed for my egg salad since I always have it on hand, but fresh is lovely as well.
- fresh chives– Fresh chives add color and freshness to the egg salad. They can be optional, but I love the addition.
How To Make The BEST Egg Salad Recipe
Prepare Hard Boiled Eggs. I suggest my Air Fryer Hard Boiled Eggs for easy peeling. They turn out perfect every time with my step by step instructions using an air fryer. If you prefer making hard boiled eggs on the stovetop use my How To Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs instructions.
Mash Egg Yolks. After you’ve separated the hard boiled egg whites and yolks, place yolks into a mixing bowl with mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, dill and chives. Mash and mix until well combined.
Chop Egg Whites. Chop the hard boiled egg egg whites then add them to the mixing bowl with the mashed egg yolks. Stir to combine and your egg salad is ready to be eaten!
How Long Does Egg Salad Last?
Egg salad lasts 3-5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I would suggest not keeping egg salad out at room temperature longer than a hour and a half to two hours max.
Other Additions For Egg Salad Recipe
Egg salad can be as versatile as you’d like. You can add more of your favorite additions such as:
- chopped celery
- chopped pickles (adding a little pickle juice is so good too)
- chopped onions
- chopped sweet red peppers
- chopped bell pepper
- bacon crumbles
- avocado slices or cubes
How To Serve
Egg salad can be served as an appetizer for your next Barbecue or any family party. Arrange a variety of crackers for dipping, even some celery sticks and carrot sticks. Try served in lettuce leaves for wraps as well.
Store egg salad leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
How To Make The Best Egg Salad Sandwich
Once you’ve made the egg salad recipe, all you need is your favorite bread or even fresh croissant sliced in half. Spread your bread of choice with mayonnaise and mustard if you’d like then spoon egg salad over your bread. Add lettuce leaves and tomato slices too.
You Might Also Love
The Best Egg Salad Recipe
- air fryer or pot to make hard boiled eggs
- tongs to remove eggs from air fryer or pot
- large mixing bowl
- cutting board
- chef knife
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- lettuce leaves for sandwich if desired
- bread slices if making sandwiches
- Use my air fryer hard boiled egg method to prepare the 10 large eggs for egg salad. Peel eggs, cut in half and remove yolks from the whites.
- Place yolks into a large mixing bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, dill, salt, pepper and chives. Mash and mix until well combined.
- Place hard boiled egg whites onto a cutting board, chop until all eggs are chopped about the same size. Add chopped eggs to mixing bowl of mashed egg yolks. Stir to combine. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- To make egg salad sandwiches, spread mayonnaise onto two slices of bread. Add mustard if you’d like, then spoon desired amount of egg salad onto bread. Top with lettuce leaves and tomato if desired.