This Hearty Chicken Barley Soup with Vegetables is such a delicious and comforting dish! It’s the perfect feel-good soup for sick days!
Hearty Chicken Barley Soup with Vegetables
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots halved & sliced
- 4 stalks of celery diced
- 3 cups fresh green beans diced, haricot verts
- 3 cups shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- 3 cups cooked barley
- 32 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp whole grain brown mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Heat oil in large dutch oven over medium heat.
- When hot, add onion, carrots, celery, and green beans.
- Cook and stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken, barley, broth, mustard, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer on low until ready to serve. Season with additional seasonings if desired.
Best of all, this soup is easy to pack in a Ziploc Brand Twist n’ Loc Container for any easy, healthy lunch.
I hope you enjoy!
Also, check out the Great American FreshOver Sweepstakes with Ziploc:
Ziploc Brand is hosting The Great American FreshOver Sweepstakes from March 5, 2012 through May 5, 2012. Fans can enter on the Ziploc Brand Facebook page by “liking” the page and offering a FreshOver food idea, in the form of a recipe or tip in text. During the sweepstakes, fans will be rewarded with access to exclusive Rachael Ray videos and tips, weekly prize drawings, coupons and one lucky grand prize winner will win a trip for two to experience the ultimate culinary experience in America’s food capital – New York City. Grand prize winners will stay in New York City for three nights and four days, can eat at the most sought after “fresh” restaurants and swap recipes with Rachael Ray. No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to participate.
Make sure you enter to win a FreshOver Prize Pack Giveaway full of fun prizes worth more than $120.
The prize pack includes a signed copy of Rachael Ray’s Look+Cook cookbook, cooking utensils, a cooking wok and Ziploc Brand Bags and Containers.
Here’s How to Enter:
1. Leave a comment here and tell us, “What is your favorite healthy snack to munch on during the day?”
2. Sweeps ends Monday March 5th, 8pm, PST. Winners will be chosen via Random.org and notified by
email. Giveaway provided by Ziploc.
*I have partnered with Ziploc® Brand and am being compensated for my posts. However, my opinions on the product are my own.
favorite healthy snack is definitely fruit!
I like to munch on nuts, apples, yogurt with honey, or a granola bar if I get hungry during the day.
I love to snack on peanut butter and carrots.
I love fruit snacks and carrots!
Carrot sticks and hummus! We always have hummus in our fridge!
I like munching on peanuts or cashews
Mozzarella cheese! It’s a great energy booster.
My favorite snack to munch on during the day is trail mix 🙂
I like to mix a flavored yogurt with sliced bananas and crunchy healthy cereal.
I munch on raw almonds and dried fruit (the no added sugar kind)
Any type of fruit!
Carrots with Ranch dip (made with plain Green yogurt) or any type of raw nut!
My favorite snack is frozen grapes! Or as my dad calls it… nature’s candy.
Kiku apples are my favorite snack!
Wasabi almonds. I know it’s so weird, but they are so good!
My healthy snack is nuts or dried apricots.
I love munching on apple slices with peanut butter on top!