Good Late Thursday Night! I am anxious to jump into bed but first feast your eyes on a fabulous pizza pie! My pizza pie was inspired by my favorite “Mall Food” at the food court, Sbarros Pizzaria.
I have so many memories eating at Sbarros from my many pre-teen mall outings to my most recent memory with my sister in NY. We wanted so badly to eat at a really nice restaurant before going to see Legally Blonde, and guess where we ended up eating instead?…. Yup, good ol’ Sbarros! (thanks to our late taxi!) No matter how many pizza choices they have to offer, I always end up going with the stuffed “white” pizza with spinach and broccoli.
A couple nights ago I had all the ingredients to whip up my own version and I was in hog heaven. I made it late night and ate a couple pieces all by myself. My 3 year old even shared it with me the next day for lunch. Perfect way to hide those veggies, just dredge it in a little ranch and they’ll never know!
Go buy or make yourself some whole wheat pizza dough so you don’t feel so guilty. Oh and don’t forget the part skim ricotta! No matter how many calories, work it off later. Indulge in a little food court heaven, the pizza pie!
My Oh My, I Love Pizza Pie.....
- 16 oz whole wheat or white pizza dough (I pick it up at Trader Joes or Fresh and Easy)
- 1 Cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 Cup grated parmesan cheese like Kraft
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Cups fresh spinach leaves chopped
- 2 Cups fresh broccoli florets steamed until fork tender, about 3 minutes in boiling water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 Cup Roasted red bell peppers from can or fresh
- 1 1/2 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Spread and press one piece of dough into the bottom and sides of a 9-9 ½ inch round cake or tart pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. (I used a 9 ½ inch deep quiche pan with a removable bottom that worked perfectly).
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta and parmesan cheese until well combined. Spread into pressed pizza dough.
- Place olive oil into a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Saute spinach until wilted down, about 3 minutes. Place evenly over ricotta cheese layer.
- Place steamed broccoli florets over spinach and season with a pinch or two of kosher salt.
- Layer roasted red peppers, then mozzarella cheese over top.
- Press out remaining piece of dough and place over filling, tucking edges inside of pan.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cooked through.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan or cutting into wedges.
Have a good rest of your week! And fess up, what’s your favorite “Mall Food?”