Nov
2007

Soft Perfect Gingersnaps

Tags:

Cookies

So, I’m always on the hunt for the best cookie recipes and I have definately found another one. I found this cute woman’s recipe named Marjorie Johnson from the cookie madness blog, she’s been on Jay Leno and other shows demonstrating her recipes. I LOVE homemade gingersnaps, and these are absolutely the best I’ve had! Enjoy! Here’s the link to Marjorie Johnson’s information: http://www.blueribbonbaking.com/index2.html

Blue Ribbon Gingersnaps

3/4 cup shortening
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar (for dipping)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cream shortening, brown sugar, molasses and egg in large bowl. In a separate bowl sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, blending until mixed. Dough can be chilled for easy handling.

3. Shape the dough into balls the size of whole walnuts. Roll balls in sugar, place on baking sheet. Bake 8-9 minutes at 375 degrees. Cool on sheet one minute before transferring to rack.
Makes 3-4 dozen.

Comments

Emiline says:

I’ve seen her on Jay Leno, too. She’s so funny! She brings these cookies to award shows, and gives them away to celebrities. She always wears that red outfit. I bet she has a dozen of those.

Kim A says:

Do you ever stop…..that’s what he said….Thanks for a great night tonight in “early” celebration of your Birthday! You’re the greatest sister and best friend a girl could ask for!

Emiline,
    I feel horrible, I thought your name was Emilie all this time. Sorry about that. Emiline is a great name.
    That cute little old lady is adorable. I saw here in her little red dress on that website of hers! Too cute.

Kimmy,
    You are such a crack-up. That was fun last night. Thanks for bringing your great family to our celebration dinner! Right back at ya kid!

A. Goodie says:

Jenny,
    So I wanted to make the coconut cupcakes but I cannot find a coconut cake mix. I tried Fry’s and Safeway…any suggestions? P.S. I love this blog! We are having the Peanut Tai Noodles for dinner tonight! Thanks

Hi Amy,
    I’m pretty sure I got the coconut cake mix at Walmart, but if you cannot find it I would just use a yellow cake mix and use coconut milk (which is in the chinese section at the grocery store) in place of the Kerns Strawberry Drink. That would taste just as yummy!

Hope you like the thai noodles!

Emiline says:

Don’t worry-Emiline is my nickname, given to me by my family. I keep changing my name, layout, etc. on my blog. I get really bored with it.

Great to know! I thought I was loosing it!

I get bored with my layout as well, I’m sure I’ll be changing colors often. Have a good day!

Becky says:

I found your blog while exploring new recipe blogs. I tried these ginger snaps, and everyone loved them! You have some fantastic recipes! I’m excited to try more.

Glad everyone liked these gingersnaps. I think they are the best homemade recipe I have ever had. A real keeper!

Molly Loves Paris says:

Those gingersnaps look fantastic. Stopped me right in my tracks.

Laura says:

Your gingersnaps look so good! One trick I learned this winter from a blog (cookie madness I think), is to use turbinado sugar for rolling. It makes the outside extra crunchy (like pepperidge farm gingermen cookies). Trader Joes sells turbinado sugar (aka sugar in the raw)–it is a larger size sugar crystal than regular sugar.

Luis says:

These cookies are super yummy! They are a litlte on the sweet side so I will probably decrease the sugar next time. I disagree that dieters should stay away from cookies and sweets. As soon as I tell myself I can’t have something, it’s all I can think about. I like to have a few substitutes on hand for the junk food I would normally have.

Cheryl says:

Ha! This is funny. My great-grandmother’s name is Marjorie Johnson (no, not the same one), and that same recipe is the one my family has been using for generations — except we use white sugar instead of brown sugar. They really are the most wonderful cookies, aren’t they? My roommate in college used to steal them when my mom would send them in care packages. LOL

I made these a few weeks ago and they were so good! My husband suggested I call them gingersofts instead of gingersnaps since they were so soft.

Skip Hop Studio Diaper Tote Tote is awesome.So quite a few wallets – and also not really these small, useless pockets, either. Almost all of the actual pockets tend to be a great dimension and actually assist keep everything organized. The handles are a good length and fit nicely over the shoulder; the tackle straps additionally stay place on my arm, which is important as soon as you are holding a child. The bag appears excellent, as well. Not too fancy, but not as well casual. (I’ve it in black) The material is soft (can’t consider of a much better word) so it is straightforward to squeeze in to tight spaces – but yet it is sturdy. I’ve a Fleurville Lexi tote and I really like it, too, but that bag is kind of inflexible. I believe this Skip*Hop can turn out to be my daily tote. It is a bit huge – so if you are not in to large hand bags this may be superior as an over-night baby diaper tote.

[...] next recipe comes from a blog I frequently go to for recipes: Picky Palate’s Gingersnaps. Image courtesy of Picky [...]

Barbara Drew says:

Could you p
    Could you plEase tell me what you use for shortening? Thank you very much! Anxious to try these receipts.

Natasha says:

These have just popped out of the oven and half have already gone. Total diet breaker!