Sharing our favorite molasses cookie today! These soft ginger cookies make the perfect cookie for gift giving this Holiday season!
Making ginger cookies during the Holidays is magical! One of my favorite cookies of the season are by far ginger molasses cookies. One little secret….stick them in the freezer. They stay chewy, chilled and beyond fabulous. That’s how I eat these babies straight from the freezer. Maybe I’m a weirdo, but trust me 🙂 Stock up on molasses, you will be making these cookies over and over….and over. Enjoy!
Best spices ever. Ginger and cinnamon. Lots of it!
A little different from usual cookie dough recipes. You add a touch of hot water to the dough.
Can’t get enough of this dough! Enjoy friends!
Tips For Making The Best Cookies
- Don’t alter the recipe, use all ingredients as listed.
- For a more firm cookie, refrigerate your cookie dough for 24 hours before baking.
- Always use butter, not margarine. ALWAYS. I prefer salted butter for my chocolate chip cookies. Try it!
- Do not ever grease your cookie sheets. Will make cookies spread and change texture.
- Don’t skip creaming your butter and sugars for a good 2 minutes. Helps create a fluffy, chewy cookie.
- Try sprinkling dough with just a touch of salt for a perfect sweet and salty combination.
- Don’t overtake your cookies. Cookies will continue to cook on hot cookie sheet when removed from oven.
- Let cookies cool completely before storing in containers. This will keep their crispness
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container for 3 days room temperature.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups plus 1 Cup All-purpose Gold Medal Flour divided
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup very hot water
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
Place butter and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, beating until well combined. Add molasses and egg, beating to combine. Add ginger, cinnamon, 4 cups of flour, baking soda and salt beating on low to combine. Slowly add hot water then add remaining 1 cup of flour beating until combined.
With a medium cookie scoop place dough 1 inch apart and bake for 8-10 minutes until baked through. Remove from oven and with a plastic knife, flatten hot cookies so they are evenly thin. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring. Before serving, dust with powdered sugar.
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.