Nov
2007

Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Tags: ,

Appetizers and Sides

With Thanksgiving approaching fast, I thought it was time I shared my potato recipe. This is my own recipe for mashed potatoes and I love it! It’s creamy and tasty. If you’ve never roasted garlic before, there’s no better time than now to try it. It is so simple and it makes these potatoes incredible! Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes

1 bulb garlic (about 12 cloves)
2 ½ lbs russet potatoes
½ Cup whole milk
4 oz softened cream cheese
1 Cup sour cream
½ stick butter
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bulb of garlic with skins on, wrap lightly in tin foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove from foil and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove garlic from skins, place in a bowl and mash with a fork until completely mashed. Set aside.

2. Peel and cube potatoes and boil for 15-18 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and transfer to a stand or electric mixer. Mix potatoes on low until combined. Add milk, cream cheese, sour cream, butter, salt, pepper and mashed roasted garlic. Top with a pad of butter or your favorite gravy. Enjoy!

about 8 servings

Comments

Kim A says:

Delicious Jen!! Thanks again for another successful FHE night!

That was fun, your family is the cutest! Tell Ethan sorry again that Mason popped him!

Emiline says:

Are roasted garlic mashed potatoes the world’s most perfect food? I think so.
    I could eat a whole bowl full of them.

I have to agree with you, they are heaven sent!

Chera says:

When do you add the cream cheese?

Hi Chera,
    Thanks for catching that. I left it out of the instructions. Add it in after the milk along with the rest of the ingredients.

I’ll go edit the recipe correctly! Enjoy the potatoes.

Sara and Justin says:

Hi I happened to see your site through a friend of a friend of a friend…gotta love the internet. I’ve seen you on the food network challenges-I am such a foodie nerd and your recipies look great! Did you get the most recent Barefoot Contessa cookbook? She is my favorite and everything I have mad turns out so well. Will keep checking your site…Thanks, Sara

Hi Sara,
    Glad you found my blog. It’s easy to blog surf these days!

Barefoot Contessa is one of my all-time favorites. She is so talented and her food is practical and delicious! I need to get her latest cookbook still.

Hope you enjoy the recipes!

Mindy says:

Jenny,
    My sister introduced me to your site and I made your mashed potatoes for our Christmas dinner. Everyone was very impressed and raved about them! I just came back to your site and can’t wait to try the broccoli/chicken crock pot meal and the almond crusted chicken recipes you posted. YUM! I LOVE food and totally appreciate all the yummy recipes you post. Thanks for the inspiration!

Mindy,
    Welcome to my blog. Glad you are enjoying the recipes. Thanks so much for sharing.

Karli Adele says:

Ha Ha… I am the sister that introduced “mindy” to your blog that commented above. I have to credit my introduction to my cousins Myr and Cami DeWitt. THANK YOU!

I wouldn’t call myself a “cook” in the loosest meaning of the word and actually dreaded making dinner because I had very few things that I could make well. My husband kept mentioning that we needed to broaden our menu. So I would try something out of my 10 cookbooks and it would either be mediocre or disgusting (yes, I’ve thrown away complete meals before… I know, wasteful). But now that I’ve found you, “Chef Jenny,” I’m excited to try new things and love to hear my husband say dinner tastes great. In fact most days that I’m trying something new, he asks me if it’s a Chef Jenny Recipe because 95% of the time it is :)

These mashed potatoes were my first adventure with “Chef Jenny” – we made them for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a few other times too. D*E*L*I*C*I*O*U*S!!! I LOVE the Spicy Artichoke Chicken w/ Broccoli meal! I’ve also enjoyed the Stuffed Shells, Creamy Chicken Italiano, Gingersnaps, Chicken Enchilada Soup, etc. And can’t wait to keep trying your latest and greatest creations. (BYW, on the Stuffed Shells is it supposed to bake in the oven at 350? I didn’t see a temperature…)

I know this post is long, but I want to thank you thank you thank you for the changes that you’ve made in me even if we’ve never met. I appreciate the opportunity that having dinner as a family provides for good communication and am grateful that now I can add good eating as a plus to having dinner together too! Anyway, thanks again. HOORAY for CHEF JENNY! :)

Anonymous says:

I want to try this recipe for Thanksgiving but which one is better for Thanksgiving? Buttermilk Mashed potatoes or Garlic mashed potatoes ?

Thanks!!!

Anonymous says:

Which one is better for Thanksgiving? Buttermilk or Garlic Mashed potatoes? thankS!

Susan says:

Ooooh. Starch. Creamy. Yum. Love this recipe!!

Tracy says:

Mmm, creamy mashed potatoes are a must on our Thanksgiving table! Looks delicious!

Mmm I love mashed potatoes! Looks like a fab recipe!

The Irish in me would love a heaping bowl of these mashed potatoes!

[...] And the added bonus? I found two blogs that were new to me and that I’ll definitely be checking out more regularly! CREAMY GARLIC MASHED POTATOES found on Real Mom Kitchen which she adapted from a recipe from Picky-Palate [...]

[...] lbs peeled, cubed potatoes5 Tablespoons real butter1 Cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese6 cloves roasted garlic (click for directions how to roast garlic)1- 1 1/2 Cups warm skim milk (any milk will do, I just [...]

Samantha B says:

This is just like my recipe for potatoes! I just add more pepper, garlic and butter and they are amazing. I agree that the roasted garlic really makes them mouth-watering!

[...] Definitely a trick I am going to try next time. Also another recipe that caught my eye were the Creamy Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Bacon and Cheese Egg McMuffin Cups, and finally the Blackberry Cream Cheese Muffins With Sweet [...]

Courtney says:

Love LOVE roasted garlic. I must try these!