Jan
2008

Quick Weeknight Pineapple Sesame Chicken

Tags: , ,

Dinner

I hesitated posting this because I didn’t like how my picture turned out, but my family loved this dinner so why not pass it on. I first saw the recipe on the blog called Closet Cooking.

Please note, I was supposed to marinate the chicken. However, when everyone’s hungry sometimes marinating just doesn’t happen in my house. If you make this in advance, follow the directions! It looks so much prettier!

I added a little more pineapple than the original recipe and added broccoli over the rice. This is a great dish I highly recommend trying. Enjoy!

Closet Cooking’s Sesame Chicken

4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons pineapple juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons ginger (grated)
1 pound chicken (cut into bite sized pieces)
1 teaspoon peanut oil
4 servings cooked rice
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
green onions to garnish

Directions:
1. Mix the soy sauce, pineapple juice, honey, sugar, ginger and chicken in a ziplock bag and marinate in the fridge for about an hour.
2. Heat the oil in a pan.
3. Add the chicken and marinade to the pan and saute until the chicken is cooked and the sauce begins to thicken. (This is where I started the recipe and it tasted delish, if you don’t feel like marinating)
4. Serve on cooked rice and garnish with the sesame seeds and green onion.

Comments

Laura says:

looks fabulous! I think that’s what I’ll have for dinner tomorrow night as I just noticed that I have wilting scallions and some ginger root in the fridge!

Deborah says:

I’m all about quick weeknight meals!! I think your picture looks great, by the way!

Great idea Laura! Hope you enjoy!

Thanks Deborah,
    Glad you’re into quick and easy too! I need more recipes like that during the week.

Libby says:

MMM-Looks yummy. Can you use ginger from the little bottle? Where do you get the other? As you can tell I don’t use a variety of ingredients around here. If a recipe ever calls for something that I don’t have around or am not sure where to find at the store I don’t make it. Sad huh? Oh, I made the spaghetti bolognese (?)the other night. So tasty. I’m going to try the chili today. I’ll let you know how it turns out. I’m so glad you have this blog!!!

The Queen of Quite a Lot says:

Can you use a different kind of oil besides peanut oil? My daughter is allergic to peanuts and this sounds yummy!

Catherine says:

I just love the combo of ginger and chicken! Good recipe, Jenny…quick and easy is the best!

Emiline says:

I think the picture looks good. The broccoli(sp?) is nice and bright green.

I agree with Catherine, quick and easy is the best!

The Lyman Family says:

Jenny, too funny. I too saw this recipe on closet cooking and we just had it for dinner the other night. It was super easy, quick and did I tell you it was YUMMY? I didn’t have peanut oil and so I used sesame oil (What could be better for sesame chicken right?) I also used the chopped ginger that comes in a little bottle. The easier the better right?

Hi Libby,
    You can use the ginger in the little bottle or ask someone in the grocery store’s produce to show you where the fresh ginger is. It looks like a tree branch with brown textured skin. You need to cut off the skin, then grate or finely chop the actual ginger. It’s really good in this dish. Hope you like the chili!

the queen of quite alot,
    Yes, use sesame oil instead. I actually used sesame oil, but forgot to mention that. It is really good with the sesame oil.

Thanks Catherine!

Lyman family,
    You and I must think alike. As soon as I saw this recipe I made it the next night for dinner. I just didn’t post it until now, because I thought my chicken looked gross! It tastes great though, I uses sesame oil too.

Linnae says:

great minds think alike :)

Kevin says:

Looks good. I like the addition of the broccoli! I am so used to making brocolli on the side.

Thanks for the great recipe Kevin!!

MrsPresley says:

i have been wanting to make this recipe since i saw it on kevin’s blog too! i am glad you posted even though you did not like your picture; it is always nice to get reviews on recipes…

Passionate baker...& beyond says:

This is a great idea & very simple. I can imagine the marination issue…it happens to me all the time! Cheers

Kara says:

Just made this for dinner tonight. We all loved it! Thanks for another great recipe! :)