Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Jan
2008

Crispy Southwest Chicken Wontons

Tags:

Appetizers and Sides

I had these little wonton wrappers in my fridge I’ve been wanting to use up and here’s what I came up with for lunch yesterday. More of an appetizer, but they are tasty little things!

I gave 2 options of cooking these, you can either lightly fry them in oil, as I did in the picture or you can bake them on a baking sheet. Obviously a bit healthier to bake them, gives it a different texture, but still yummy!

At first my boys didn’t want to try them, but after a bite, they both ate em’ up. Especially dipped in some Ranch Dressing. My 2 year old kept yelling out, “more wanch mommy!”Bad habits started way too early!

Easy and tasty, Enjoy.

Crispy Southwest Chicken Wontons

2 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
½ Cup finely diced white onions
½ Cup finely diced red bell pepper
2 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 12 oz can chunk chicken, drained (from Costco)
¼ Cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
¼ Cup Verde Salsa (I use Herdez brand)
2 Tablespoons prepared ranch dressing

½ package wonton wrappers (I used the brand Nasoya, found in produce section of grocery store)
1 egg white whisked with 2 Tablespoons water

1. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and bell pepper for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in garlic for 1 minute and remove from heat.

2. In large bowl add onion mixture, chicken, cilantro, salsa, ranch, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.

3. Place 1 Tablespoon chicken mixture in center of wonton wrapper. Brush bottom edge with egg white wash, fold over filling and press edges together firmly, forming a triangle shape.

4. 2 options of cooking. 1st is place about 1 inch of canola or vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. When hot, place 4 wontons at a time into oil. Cook 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown. 2nd option is place wontons on a baking sheet; bake at 375 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until crispy, flipping once half way through cooking.

5. Serve with Ranch dressing or salsa if desired.

Comments

Deborah says:

These look so tasty!!

I just have to tell you that I was with my family last weekend and talking to a sister that reads my blog. She said to me – “I love Picky Palate!” and we both got giddy talking about some of the recipes on your blog!! You are very popular!

The Fischer Family says:

These look soooo tasty! I love wontons so I will have to give these a try. They look too easy to pass up!

Kevin says:

Those wontons look nice and crispy and tasty!

Thanks Deborah!
    Too funny about you and your sis. I happen to think your blog is a wonderful site too! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Fisher Family,
    Hope you enjoy!

Thanks Kevin!

Emiline says:

Yum! These look great! Pretty picture.
    I like those wonton wrappers. I make mini fried apple pies with them. Pretty cheap, too. Like $1.99 for a package.

Sara and Justin says:

Those totally remind me of a really yummy appetizer at California Pizza Kitchen. I bet they would be amazing with some avocado in there…

Catherine says:

Jenny,
    Ok, lunch at your house is waaaay better than at mine! Those look so yummy, and perfect, and doable.
    I guess I better ditch the bologna and cheese! Thanks for the inspiration!

Maxfield Family says:

love this blog! I’m going to add it to mine. Check out http://www.heidisrecipes.blogspot.com!
    Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Emiline,
    I know, I love these wonton wrappers. You could fry up just about anything in these. Little apple pies sound yummy!

Hi Sara,
    I’m with you, avocado would be fantastic in these, or better yet, guacamole to dip.

Catherine,
    You just caught me on a good day. Most of the time the boys want those frozen taquitos, corndogs or peanut butter and jelly!

Hi Maxfield family,
    Welcome to my blog. Love your quick and easy recipes, I’ll be checking in often!

Project Couture Vintage says:

Great food photography on these ones….they look straight out of a recipe book…not that your others aren’t fantastic as well, but these are just exceptional! They look absolutely devine…I loved the inside mixture, so I can just imagine how good they’d be deep fried in the won ton wrappers!

MrsPresley says:

mmmm, i love fried won tons! great job with coming up with a creative filling… and i can’t blame the kids for wanting more ranch! often times, the food is just a vehicle for the ranch dressing! :)

Birdie says:

I’m going to make these for my husband sometime. He just loves southwest egg rolls and I’ll bet he’s gonna just love these!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, Your boys are going to be real foodies when they grow up with all the different dishes you serve them! They don’t seem to picky at all!

Thanks Kimmy!

Mrs Presley,
    Isn’t that the truth about ranch dressing. We are such dippers. I love it with pizza!

Hi Birdie,
    Hope your hubby enjoys!

Marie,
    It’s funny, my husband’s the picky palate of the family! My boys are pretty good eaters!

Bonnie says:

I ran on to your blog via my daughter’s via someone else’s (isn’t that how it goes?) You have a great little blog going with great recipes. I have enjoyed looking and even tried your tomato soup recipe. I have a similar one and used yours and mine modified together. Looking forward to seeing more of your yummy recipes. I too love to cook!

Patsyk says:

Just found your blog today… and this recipe really appeals to me! I am printing it off and will have to find time to give it a try this weekend.

Grumpy's Honeybunch says:

Came across your blog this morning while waiting for my Grumpy hubby to wake up….It is only 8 AM and your making my mouth water! If I could eat one of those wontons right now I would!

Stephanie says:

I made these for dinner last night. Like you I cannot leave a recipe alone, even the first time I make it. So, I added a can of black beans and some corn to justify an appetizer for dinner and cooked 2 chicken breast and chopped them up instead of the canned chicken. They were so yummy!

Patsyk says:

I just made these tonight, and my family loved them! My picture didn’t come out as beautiful as yours, but I think part of that was due to baking them, they didn’t look the same.

I tried making these and they were wonderful. Thanks!

Monica says:

I LOVE this recipe. I come back time and time again to make it! Thank you.

Tracy says:

I’ve never made wontons before! I will be on the lookout for the wrappers so that I can try these!

Michelle says:

These look so good! Nice and crispy out the outside with a wonderful tasty filling!

Great idea! You’ve got my wheels turning for new ways to stuff wonton wrappers.

Maggy says:

Delicious! Really clever. Would make great apps for a party.

This is definitely going on my “to cook” list! These look so delicious!

Chloe says:

I used the pre-cooked frozen chicken strips in these and they were fantastic!! I think the spice on the strips was a nice touch. I baked mine and used water to seal the wrapper instead of egg for a healthier wonton and I love them! I’m making them again for sure.

Jennie W says:

So yummy! I made a batch and “thought” I made a lot – they were looking for by the time I got the second batch in the oven!

[...] home most of the week, I figure I can start making them a bit more often. So tonight I made these Crispy Southwest Chicken Wontons from Picky [...]

[...] a peek at our Mother’s Day luncheon menu. And as promised, here are the recipes (and links)! Crispy Southwest Chicken Wontons I skipped the cilantro and added cheese. Other than that I followed the recipe! Strawberry Salad: [...]