Mar
2008

Bye Bye Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies…

I have been so excited to post this cookie recipe. It is by far one of my very favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes. The taste and texture is better than any I’ve tried. No more paper flat cookies!

My adorable sister Kim, who I have a zillion nicknames for, such as: Kammon, Kammy and Snitchy, has developed this winning cookie recipe, using none other than coconut oil in place of the butter. You’d think these cookies would taste like coconut, but they really don’t, just the slightest hint of coconut without any shavings. If she wouldn’t have told me, I would never have guessed.

Not only does it make an incredible cookie, but my sister has researched coconut oil and it has some major health benefits. Google it if you’re interested.

I bought my coconut oil from Sprouts here in AZ, but I’m assuming any Whole Foods, Trader Joes, AJ’s Fine Foods will also carry it. You can google it and find places online to order it as well.

I promise you, you will not be disappointed in these. They are fantastic! I can’t wait to try substituting coconut oil in my brownies and chocolate cupcakes. My sis said it makes the BEST brownies, that will be next on my “to make” list! Thanks Kimmy! I am so lucky to have such a beautiful, talented and hilarious sister, Love you cutie! If you are in need of unique affordable clothing, check out her online boutique under my “some favorites” list.

Bye Bye Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 Cup softened Virgin Coconut Oil
3/4 Cup brown sugar
3/4 Cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 Cup flour
1 Cup pecans, ground
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 bag chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer, cream oil and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Slowly add flour, ground pecans, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips until just combined.

2. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes, until slightly golden around edges.

Thank you to Jamie from Good Eats N Sweet Treats for the “Excellent and You Make My Day” awards she gave me on her blog. If you all haven’t peeked at her blog, I ‘d go right now. She always has beautiful posts to share with all of us! Thanks again Jamie!! Also thank you to Cynthia from What’s For Dinner, for sharing the Excellent Blog award to me as well. Check out these great ladies’ blogs!

Comments

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Now that’s something new! I’ve got to try these! What a smart sister…I’d never think of coconut oil!
    And congrats on your awards! You absolute are “excellent”!

Catherine Wilkinson says:

oops..I just posted and it appears to have disappeared! But if this is a double, that’s good, cause it’s a double congrats!

I’d never think of coconut oil, either! What a great idea…can’t wait to try these out. If I don’t have chocolate chip cookies in the house, there’s a riot.
    And congrats on your awards! You certainly are “excellent”!
    PS…reminding my bro today about your baseball tickets to make sure everything is good to go!

Deborah says:

I will have to see if I can find some coconut oil – we have no Whole Foods or Trader Joes. I guess if all else fails, I’ll just have to order some online!

Debbie says:

You can get coconut oil at most regular grocery stores, usually located near other specialty oils like sesame, peanut etc. And BTW these cookies are GREAT!

Patsyk says:

I think I have an excuse to head over to Trader Joe’s soon… going to have to try these cookies!

Steph says:

Very interesting, I would have never thought to use coconut oil! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

RecipeGirl says:

What a neat idea. I’m definitely going to have to experiment a bit with coconut oil!

HI Catherine,
    I agree, I like to have cookies in my house at all time! Tell you bro thanks in advance for the b-ball tickets!

HI Deborah,
    I’d even try your local grocery store, I think my sister has seen some at Walmart.

Hi Patsyk,
    I always look for excuses to head to Trader’s!

Hope you enjoy it Steph!

Recipe girl,
    I am going to be doing some experimenting as well. I guess you can even saute your veggis. It’s supposed to be great. We’ll see.

Kevin says:

Those chocolate chip cookies look amazing! I will have to look for some coconut oil.

Bonnie says:

I’m definitely going to try these cookies – as I LOVE coconut, but my family not so much. I think the coconut oil will satisfy my taste as well as my family’s “no-taste”. Once again- thanks for sharing – tell your sis! I’ve bought some really cute things from her!

Anonymous says:

try frying your pancakes in coconut oil instead of cooking spray…it gives a nice crisp edge that just can’t be beat!!!
    i’m going to try your cookies!

thanks

Project Couture Vintage says:

Oh Jen, the photography on these are so superb….definitely worth the wait! Thanks for the shout out, glad you enjoyed them..you’ll LOVE the brownies too!

Thanks Kevin! I highly recommend them!

Hope you enjoy them Bonnie!

Thanks for the great tip Annonomous!

Thanks again for the recipe Kimmy!

Melanie C. says:

These look great! My good friend is always telling me the benefits of coconut oil! Ineed to get on the ball and get me some!! Will is ruin the recipe is I leave out the ground pecans? Could I substitute almonds? ( my hubby thinks he is allergic to pecans)

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen says:

Those look and sound delish!
    I have never used coconut oil myself, but it is good for you!

Ryley says:

I’ve never worked with Coconut oil before..

I guess i’ll have to find somewhere to buy it! I love the flavor of coconut!

These look scrumptious.. I can’t wait to see how other things turn out with coconut oil!

MARIE says:

Hi, I was referred to your blog by my friend, Keri Willis. I am IN LOVE with your recipes and read your blog religiously. I also checked out your sisters blog and LOVE her aprons. I just thought I’d comment since I’ve been a faithful reader for some time now. The sugar cookies were a HUGE hit here. Carry on.

Lisa Sharp says:

Thanks for sharing! I will have to buy some more coconut oil and try these.

By the way even wal-mart and super target will have coconut oil. Just look where the other oils are. But look for virgin because it’s the natural kind.

Hi Melanie,
    You could absolutely substitute almonds for the pecans. Any nut would work fine.

Thanks Jenndz!

Hi Ryley,
    I agree, I’m going to give brownies a try next!

Hi Marie,
    Yes, Keri is my sister’s Sister in law if that makes any sense!! She is a sweetheart! Thanks so much for commenting and visiting my blog. Hope you find more yummy recipes for you and your family!

Lisa,
    Thank you so much for the info on Target and Walmart. I hadn’t checked there yet. It’s probably even less expensive! Thanks!

Emiline says:

I think I saw some coconut oil at Wal Mart the other day. That’s so weird, because I was thinking about buying it.
    Well now I have to!
    I think movie theaters pop popcorn in coconut oil. (I think)

Price Family says:

Hi Jenny, I get on your blog everyday now. I was just wondering i tfhere is a place where I could find all of these contest you enter in to? I want to enter a cooking contest and don’t know where to go. Please let me know. Thanks!
    Also those Toffee Crunch Cookies were good. I’m going to try the tempting shredded chicken taquitos tonight.

Anonymous says:

I’ve just discovered the world of cooking bloggers and your blog is great! How do you carve out time to cook so innovatively (and approachable/kid-friendly), with your busy family life? I’d be curious in tips you have! How do your days play out? When do you get those windows of time?

Hi Price Family,
    Thanks for visiting my blog so much! I subscribe to this website (link below) where it gives the details of all of the cooking contests going on all over the country. It’s $25 per year, but really worth it if you are interested in contesting. Let me know if you have any other questions. It is a great hobby!

Anonymous,
    With my busy schedule I have to plan according to what is going on with my kids from day to day. I cook when I can. I have found that trading days with my boys friend’s moms is so nice. I’ll have a house full of boys for a few hours, then they all go to the friends’ house. That is when I get alot done. Also when everyone goes to bed, I enjoy cooking if I’m not exhausted!

nikki says:

these sound great, altho im from the uk so will have to go online to get my oil. but sounds worth it u never can go wrong with choc chip cookies!!

Tracy says:

Just what I need … ANOTHER chocolate chip cookie recipe to try! I wonder why coconut oil would behave differently from other oils.

Kara, Garrick and Rylee says:

Jenny,
    Thanks so much for being so generous with your delicious recipes. I really enjoy your site. BTW, I went to Trader Joes to get some coconut oil and they don’t have it there! I’ll have to try elsewhere, I was bummed though! In your recipe you said “softened coconut oil”, does it come in sticks like butter? Anyways, thanks again!

Nikki,
    Hope you can order some online Nikki.

I know Tracy, just what we all need, more cookies!

Kara, Garrick, Rylee,
    I am shocked that Trader J. didn’t carry it, sorry for suggesting it. I have since learned that Super Walmart and Target carry it, check there. It comes in a glass jar or plastic container in a solid form. I just place as much as I need in the microwave until it is just softened, not completely melted. Hope you can get a hold of some!

valchemist says:

I got my coconut oil at whole foods. it is spectrum virgin organic coconut oil. on sale for $6.99 for a 14 oz jar (not sure what the regular price is). compare that to butter in price. too bad it is so expensive!

the cookies are great, Jenny and Kim!! thanks. they have crisp edges and chewy middles on the first day but then they soften overnight and are all chewy on the second day. I have to say that mine have a very prominent coconut flavor. you can definitely taste it and you definitely know what it is. but I love coconut, so that is fine with me. and my ultra-picky kindergartener loved the cookies even though she claims to hate nuts in her cookies (these were ground up so she didn’t know they were there).

I wonder if different brands of coconut oils would produce minimal flavor as was the result for you.

oh, I didn’t microwave my coconut oil to soften it… it took a while to cream it because I have a handmixer, not a stand mixer, but it did get creamed after about 7 minutes.

Valchemist,
    Thanks for the feedback on the cookies. It’s always nice to hear how they turn out for others.

Interesting that you found yours to taste very much like coconut. I wonder if the type I got is just more mild.

I noticed the softening on the second day as well, I wish I had some leftover cookie dough today, they sound great right now and it’s only 7am! Yikes!

Thanks again for spending the time to write about your batch!!

valchemist says:

a little tip… if you don’t plan to eat these all on the first day, yet still want the crisp edges, put the cookies in the freezer after they have cooled completely. when you thaw them out (the next day or farther down the road), they will still have the crisp edge. they are as good as they were on the first day.

(I know this works with most cookies. and I know it works with these because I just tried it.)

Jaime says:

i have to try this recipe! gotta find some coconut oil first though…

SweetTooth says:

I just started visiting your site. I can’t wait to try some of these recipes. Just so you know – coconut oil may be better than butter but it’s REALLY high in saturated fat…
    Keep up the good work!

Heather says:

FYI: Just made the cookies and the ground nuts part must be essential because I just added mine chopped and the cookies turned out terrible! They spread out really thin, centers didn’t set and they were pretty greasy. Just follow the directions, ground nuts must act as another binder/stabilizer.

I too had a prominent coconut taste which I was excited about.

I had just a bit of dough left and added more flour and they turned out as they should. So if you don’t want ground nuts add more flour! They were very tasty!

Alisa Larson says:

Could you email me and let me know if you’ve ever taken out the ground pecans? My daughter is allergic. Also, if I made some (obviously not for her!) where do you get ground pecans, or do you just put them in the food processor? Thanks! joenlarson@qwest.net
    Alisa

Lori says:

You posted this recipes a long time ago, but I just stumbled across it. I found your site through the Hungry Housewife. I was wondering if you tried the Coconut oil in any of your brownie recipes? Do you know how much it cuts the fat and calories? I’m new to the blogging world, but your site will remain a Favorite. Great pictures and Recipes. Keep up the Good Work!!!

Patsyk says:

I finally made these today! My boys and I loved them… hubby wouldn't touch them cuz of the coconut oil. that's ok, more for the rest of us! thanks for sharing!

Jenna says:

Agreed! Coconut oil is GREAT for baking as well as a million other uses. If you can’t find it locally, order it online at http://www.hopesharvestcoconutoil.com/ . You may want to try Real Salt, too! http://www.realsalt.com I buy both products from the local retailer where I purchase wheat for home milling and other baking/cooking supplies. The owner is a biochemistry major and very well-versed on nutrition and wellness!

Valeri says:

Thank you for this recipe! These cookies are great! They didn’t flatten as did the Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies I made, replacing the butter with coconut oil. The ground nuts must be the trick to keeping them high. I used walnuts in place of the almonds.

Saturated fat is wrongfully blamed for a lot of our ilnesses everything from heart disease to cancer tumors. The more I analyzed coconut oil and how very good it was for well being the more I grew to become convinced that my vegetarian diet that I had been using was a problem. It all makes sense to me now about how I was deceived into believing the hoopla about saturated fat, cholesterol and diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Learn the truth about coconut oil at well-informed-sources[dot]com

Dom says:

I’m wondering if you’ve tried the recipe with less sugar? I don’t like my cookies too sweet and am thinking about cutting at least half the sugar..just wanted to know if anyone else had tried it and liked the result.

It’s good, it’s useful (as usual), actionable and concise. Love it.

Kamari says:

Thank you. One baby nibble would please me!

MusicalMom says:

I followed your blog back when you posted this recipe–I was on a dairy-free diet while I nursed my baby. Now I’m introducing coconut oil for my health and went searching for this recipe.

I’m allergic to nuts, so I ground some rolled oats to use in place of the ground pecans. From Googling i looked like I could use any roughly ground grain. I was going to use about 2/3-3/4 cup Sunbutter, but worried about the chemistry or wet/dry proportions of the cookie.

Rolled oats work fine, but they taste like oatmeal cookies. Do you have any other suggestions? I’d rather have these cookies taste more like traditional chocolate chip cookies.

Thanks for the recipe!

Lisa says:

Hi! I just googled Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies and you came up – great recipe. I did cut the Coconut oil in half and didn’t use pecans…delish. I LOVE Coconut Oil! We saute everything in it – my husband has terrible cholesterol…so I have been using this oil for a while. You probably have too – since this was posted in 2008! Thanks so much! Taking them to a neighborhood party!

LOVE this recipe! It is so fall-like and rustic looking. You can t go wrong with apples and peanut butter

It is truly a great and helpful piece of info. I am happy that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

[...] Picky Palate  Bye, Bye Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies [...]

It is actually a nice and helpful piece of info. I am glad that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Gail says:

I have been baking, cooking and sauteing with virgin coconut oil for while now … I do it like you have said, but I add just a bit of natural applesauce like 70/30 mix between the apple sauce n oil with a squirt of honey to cut the applesauce flavor and it works great with baking and pancakes etc … if you want you can also use baby applesauce as it’s just a finer texture :) if you use your recipe and use EnerG egg re-placer it’s Vegan ;) and you can’t tell !!! I use raw cane sugar and unbleached flour … (many other healthy flours will work also for you gluten free gals) thank you for your post it’s GREAT!

Elisha says:

Wow! These are amazing!!! They puffed up nicely and have great flavor! I used “white” whole wheat flour and even cut out 1/4 Cup of the regular sugar and they’re still nice and sweet. I used dark chocolate chips, oh so yummy! I let the coconut oil and eggs get to room temp before I made the batter. I baked for 12 min. I might reduce the salt to 3/4 of a teaspoon next time but it doesn’t really matter. They are SO GOOD! Thank you for posting! This will be my go to chocolate chip cookie recipe from now on!

[...] The second cookie recipe I experimented with was unusual in that no butter is used in the recipe.  I also found this recipe on “Pinterest” and of course I pinned it immediately because chocolate chip cookies are my favorite dessert on the planet.  I decided to try these cookies as the first cookie recipe didn’t make a ton, and I wasn’t really crazy about them.  I knew that these cookies would have to be “worse” than the first recipe for me to disappointed, and by looking at the ingredients, I was pretty sure I’d like them.   Well like them I did…YUM!  They are delicious!  Instead of butter, the recipe calls for one cup of virgin coconut oil.  I always have organic virgin coconut oil in the pantry, but I’d never made cookies with it before, so I was eager to give it a try.  These cookies are so great.  Chewy and crispy and so yummy.  If you are worried about them having an apparent “coconutty” flavor, worry no more.  My family totally couldn’t taste any coconut.  What they did taste was an overwhelming deliciousness! These cookies did not last long.  In fact, I made a second batch a few days later, as they were so good, and gone so fast!  Here is the link to that recipe: http://picky-palate.com/2008/03/11/new-chocolate-chip-cookies-on-block/ [...]