If there’s one Food Network Chef I’d compare myself to, it’d be Robin Miller. I love her morphing ideas, for example I’d make my tacos one night, then use the same beef for a completely different dish the next night or a couple days later. I think it’s a great idea and I love that she’s not afraid to use some canned goods. Time savers are always a plus in my book!
So, onto these yummy tacos. This shredded beef is so good, you throw it in the crock pot overnight and it’s practically done when you wake up. Yes, the whole house smells like dinner in the morning, but trust me, its worth it.
These little baked taco shells are a must try. Go out and find the Guerrero brand whole wheat tortillas (Walmart carries them, Target needs to get on the ball!). You’ll need to use a Texas size muffin tin to make these, or you can cut down your tortillas to fit in a traditional muffin tin if you’d rather. You gently press the tortilla into the muffin tin, by folding or creasing a small side and the rest forms itself after you place it in the tin, just play with it and you’ll get it. They are crispy, healthy and so cute.
The corn salsa is a nice touch as well. If you have a favorite corn salsa recipe use it. I didn’t get fancy here, just a few ingredients did the trick for me. It really adds to the tacos. This might sound gross, but I added a little drizzle of ranch dressing over the tacos and YUM, however not necessary.
Phew, where do the weekends go? It’s already Monday tomorrow morning, I better get to bed, got lots of teeth to clean in the morning! Do try these tacos though, I love them. One of my favorite “easy” creations.
Shredded Beef Taco Cups with Fresh Corn Salsa
3 lbs chuck roast (From Costco, comes with 2 separate roasts, 3lbs each, I freeze one for later)
1 thinly sliced white onion
1 teaspoon kosher salt (coarse)
½ teaspoon ground pepper
¼ teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt
½ Cup water
2 10 oz cans mild Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies
1 bunch cilantro leaves chopped
½-3/4 Cup reserved beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste
6 ears fresh sweet corn, kernels cut off
½ Cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1 medium size red bell pepper, finely diced
1-2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Whole wheat burrito size tortillas for shell, Guerrero Brand Preferred, the best whole wheat tortilla around in my opinion
6 Cups Finely chopped romaine lettuce
1. Place roast in crockpot on low setting. Top with thinly sliced onions, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Pour water in bottom of crockpot (not over roast), cover with lid and cook overnight.
2. Remove roast from crockpot, cut strings off if present. Transfer beef broth to a large bowl, reserve. Shred roast into small pieces and replace back into crockpot on low setting. Stir in both cans of Rotel diced tomatoes, cilantro leaves, about ½ Cup reserved beef broth (add more if desired) and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer on low until ready to serve.
3. Place corn, cilantro leaves, red bell pepper and lime juice into a large bowl. Gently toss to combine and lightly season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place tortillas into
5. Place spoonfuls of shredded beef into each taco cup and top with lettuce and fresh corn salsa.
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.