Aug
2008

Fiesta Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

Tags:

Dinner

Everyone been watching the Olympics? I am loving the diving and gymnastics, well actually all of it. Isn’t it crazy how young the gymnastic girls from China look!? Everyone is so talented, go USA!

Ok, get out your maracas and sombreros, it’s time to make some finger licking good enchiladas. I can’t remember the last time I made a big dish of enchiladas, but after tonight, I think I’ll be making them more often. My husband’s comment was, “Now why can’t we have this at least once a week?!” My boys loved them too, no complaints tonight and they had no idea there was loads of healthy spinach inside. This recipe feeds at least 10 adults, so half it according to the size of your family. I know I’ll get some boo’s for the soup in the sauce, but I must say it’s quick, easy and makes a really tasty sauce! Hope you’ll all enjoy!

Fiesta Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

1 Cup red enchilada sauce
8 oz sour cream
1/2 Cup milk
Pinch of salt

Corn Tortillas
2 Cups shredded Mexican blend cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place oil into a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and jalaepeno until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chopped spinach and cook until wilted down. Stir in chicken, salt, pepper, garlic salt, cumin and diced tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and simmer.

2. Place soup, enchilada sauce, sour cream, milk and salt into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until warmed though.

3. Ladle a small amount of sauce into the bottom of a large 9×13 inch baking dish (or bigger if you have one), just enough to cover the bottom. Place a spoonful of chicken mixture inside of corn tortillas, roll and place seam side down. Fill tortillas until chicken filling is used up. Top evenly with sauce and shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

10-12 servings

Thank you Simplemom.net and Work it, Mom for featuring my spaghetti cups on your great websites! Thanks for everyone’s nice comments on that post, I read them all. Thank you also to Jenn from the Leftover Queen for putting me on her Finest Foodies Friday list. Be sure to join the Foodie Blogroll if you haven’t yet!!

Comments

The Snell Family says:

No boo’s from over here about the soup in the sauce…these look delicious!! I think I will be making these this week!! Fantastic recipe…

Beth says:

I often uswe soup! Nothing to be sorry about. Love enchilada’s = and hubby too. Will bookmark these

Katherine Aucoin says:

I think your spinach enchiladas sound fabulous. But I’m the only one in my family who adores spinach. Maybe I’ll get independent and try this one and tell the homegirlz and their dad to try fast food for a change – that will keep us all happy ;-)

Emily says:

We are going crazy over the Olympics at our house too! The Mens swimming relay was something else!

This recipe came at the perfect time! I have a bag of spinach that needs to be used! Looks Yum-E!

Mary Ann says:

Those look amazingly delicious and I, for one, would never give you a hard time about the soup. You gotta use it once in awhile. This also solves one of my main complaints about enchiladas- no veggies. Great recipe, I really think my hubby and kids will love this one!

Prudy says:

They look absolutely delicious! The filling sounds heavenly. I’m not a big user of the canned soups, but I always just make a homemade version with chicken broth, flour, and milk when I see a recipe that I like that calls for it.

RecipeGirl says:

Sounds terrific! I’m impressed that you were able to get good pictures of your enchiladas. Mine squish all up and are impossible to photograph well!

Hi Snell Family,
    Glad you aren’t anti soup! I’m certainly not either. Hope you’ll enjoy!

Hi Beth,
    For some reason the guys love enchiladas!

Hi Katherine,
    It’s funny, with all of the other ingredients, you can’t taste the spinach at all. Either way, hope you’ll enjoy!

Hi Emily,
    Yah, my hubby and I stayed up to watch the men’s relay until almost 11:00pm, way too late when the little ones are up at 6am!

Hi Mary Ann,
    Hope you and the family enjoys!

Hi Prudy,
    Great idea for the soup substitute!

Hi Lori,
    It’s funny, I was thinking during the photo shoot, that these are sooo not photogenic. This was the best I could get. At least they taste good!

Kameron says:

These look so yummy! Question, though: you say 1 pound cream of chicken soup – is that 1 can?? Silly question, I know, but I wanted to be sure.

I like that you put spinach in these. I will have to try them.

Ali says:

Yum! They look so yummy! I made an enchilada recipe from “My Kitchen Cafe” last night. It was so yummy! Now I am way excited to try these too! Thanks!

Kim A says:

Now those look good, I love any enchiladas with spinach!

Hi Kameron,
    The soup can is a giant family size can that actually says 1 lb at the bottom. I found it at Walmart, I’m assuming any grocery store sells the big cans. Let me know if you can’t and I’ll figure out how many little cans it is equal too. I’m assuming about 4 little ones.

Hope you enjoy Maria!

Hi Ali,
    You’ll have to let me know how you like these.

Up early today huh Kimmy!?? Oh yah, E starts school this morning! Have a good day!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Oh yes yes, I see your point, they would be great with some oreos tossed in! Lol!
    If your husband would like to have it everyweek they must have been really delicious!

Patsyk says:

I haven’t made enchiladas in forever! Thanks for reminding me about them! I love the sound of your recipe!

Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Those look SO good! We don’t eat meat but occasionally I’ll buy frozen “veggie” chicken. It’s one of our few processed food indulgences and I save it for really awesome recipes. I think I’m going to have to bust out a bag for this once. It’s SO up my husband’s alley. Just readying the ingredient list made me hungry! Great job as always!

Amy says:

So glad I checked your blog before the trip to the grocery store! I am going to add these to the menu for this week! They look and sound so yummy!

michela says:

hi, i’m Michela from Rome, Italy. sorry but i speak english not very well…
    compliments for your dish, spaghetti!!!!!!! wonderful. visit my blog. kiss

Katrina says:

It was fun to see the Chicken competition you were in on Food Network last night. I’ve seen the burger one a few times, but hadn’t seen that one yet, well, I think I’ve seen the end of it before as I knew it was the lady from Idaho who was going to win–maybe because I’m from Idaho and had heard that. Your chicken and corn pancakes looked great!
    These enchiladas look so yummy. I make chicken enchiladas quite a bit, but never thought of adding the spinach for nutrition. Gonna have to try this one. Thanks.

Leslie says:

Those are amazing and sooo cheesy! Too bad my kids wouldnt touch them! I cant wait for the day they branch out in the food department!
    Oh and those itty bitty China girls are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not 16! I think they are how ever old their government wants them to be!!

Amber says:

No boos from me! They look ooey-gooey wonderful!

nicole says:

Looks like dinner tonight.

Aggie says:

I really really want to make these. I love enchiladas and these look awesome!

My husband and I were going crazy over the men’s swimming relay late last night…I think we scared our dog!

I caught a glimpse of you on Food Network last night! That is too cool! I dvr’d it so I’m going to watch it later…you are making me want to start entering cooking contests!

Sara says:

The girls from China look like they are 8 years old!! It’s so crazy. They make the US girls look giant! :)

Your enchiladas look delicious! My hubby will love them.

Mama Bear says:

Yum – that looks great.

And an easy way to get spinach into my diet – my husband loves it cooked but I much prefer it raw.

Sadie says:

Yum! I love enchiladas and was just thinking I needed to make some. Can’t wait to make yours!
    I make my own enchilada sauce and find that it tastes so much better than the canned kind. Check out my blog for the recipe.

Tena says:

I am so adding this to the menu this week, looks so good my mouth is watering just looking at the pictures!
    I am glued to the Olympics! Love them! I have a small crush on Michael Phleps! The girls gymnastics team had a rough start yesterday, huh?

Deborah says:

I used to make enchiladas all of the time, but I haven’t made them for awhile. I think this sounds delicious! (And isn’t it funny how food bloggers get about certain ingredients? I say use whatever you want and whatever is good to you – they don’t have to eat it if they are going to complain!)

Jeena says:

These are so yummy! I love all of the ingredients it is such a Mexican treat. I know what I will be making next time I get a taste for some yummy Mexican food. :-D

Noor says:

I think this looks so good. I want some so as usual you have made me hungry Jenny, lol.

I love how you get these healthy things into everything and I will have to start taking some pointers now that my son is 1. It seems like the only thing I can get him to eat anymore is mashed potatoes, ugh any pointers?

~Priscilla~ says:

wow, those look great!!! i made something else from you jenny, it’s on my blog!

Sara says:

I would love to break out the maracas and sombrero’s for these! I love Enchiladas and love trying different variations. Yours look great!

Alicia says:

These do look tasty. Thought I’d let you know that last week on the day before school started my 3 girls and I made your cinnamon-swirl chocolate chip bread pudding. It was not only totally delish (try it if you haven’t already!!), but was a great chance to spend time together before the old routine kicks into gear again. Thanks for your ideas…

Sharon says:

I’ve been loving the olympics too, but uh, I don’t think 16 year olds are supposed to weigh 75 pounds! I seriously hope those girls are 14 though I suppose that’s breaking the rules.

On to enchiladas…you’re amazing. I concluded that it was impossible to photograph enchiladas without them looking goopy, but you’ve proved me wrong. These look great!

Lisa says:

These look so so good! I love any Mexican type food.

Bridgett says:

These look delicious! Your photo looks great! I usually have a hard time getting a good pic of enchiladas or stuffed pastas.

Bunny says:

Your boys liked it huh? well I’m hoping mine will to. I’ve never made this before, it really looks good!

Kevin says:

Those look really good all covered in cheese!

Emiline says:

These look good…I love enchiladas. I like how these look like they’re hiding in a bed of cilantro.

I won’t boo you for the soup. My parents make some Mexican casserole with soup in it, and it’s really good.

HoneyB says:

I was here yesterday then was distracted and didn’t get to leave a comment! This looks really delish and I would love to have some, but my Grumpy hubby would be not so happy with dinner that evening. I don’t know why I can’t seem to get him to enjoy mexican style food! sigh. Congrats on making the Friday Foodie on Leftover Queen!

Lore says:

Jenny please tell me teleporting will be available in the next 45 seconds or so…if you still have some enchiladas left that is :D

Birdie says:

Chicken soup? Use it all the time! These look great!

hot garlic says:

Yeah, I saw you on FFF, congrats! The enchiladas look great and I love sneaking spinach into anything.

How on Earth are you cooking these things in the hot summer heat?!

I always wince a little at putting soup in my recipes. I try to keep it at a minimum but sometimes it just works best and it DOES make them tasty.

Ben says:

It looks awesome Jenny and I love the spinach- great idea! Keep up the awesome recipes.

Anne says:

Sorry, Jenny, I just commented while signed in as my husband! Sharing a computer has it’s problems! :)

Brad and Kimberly says:

Hi Jenny, I’ve only posted a comment one time before. I’m a gilbert girl and you are in one of my friends ward…but just 1 1/2 weeks ago we moved to Utah for employment. So anyway…. I wanted you to know that I made these enchiladas last night and my family loved them…just like yours did. But what I thought you mind find interesting, is the two cute young guys I had working on the basement of this new home so we can move in all the way…. they loved them! Matt said, “kimberly, I am so serious when I say this…these enchiladas are better than my mom’s, better than my wife’s…ssshhhh.” I thought that was so awesome. I told him your story and that this was your recipe and offered to give him a copy to take home to his wife. He had the recipe safely tucked in his pocket as he left our house last night. So cute ands such a big hit here! I love looking at your blog and watching out for you on Food Network. You are such a cutie and we always root for the Gilbert girl!

Pam says:

We are big Olymics fans too. I think the enchiladas look delicous! I have never made mine with soup but I may have to try after seeing your pictures. Nice job.

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Kimberly and Brad,
    Your comment seriously made my day. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me that cool story! What an honor. I think you told me once, but who’s your friend that I know again?

Thanks again!!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth says:

I have totally been on an enchiladas kick lately. Can’t wait to try your recipe, they look so good!

michela says:

Hi jenny!!!!!! don’t worry for the language,I will start write english in my blog. will you read me?
    I hope…