Oct
2008

Goulish Delights for Your Ghosts and Goblins…

Tags: ,

Appetizers and Sides

Hi Everyone, hope you are all enjoying this nice weekend! I don’t think I’ve ever posted Saturday afternoon, it’s nice to actually be home relaxing, it’s a great cloudy day here in AZ.

I don’t know about you guys, but Halloween is hands down one of my boys’ favorite holiday. Free candy, and everything creepy, crawly and spooky is so exciting to little boys, well most kids for that matter! They beg and plead to go to the “halloween” isle in EVERY store we go to so they can press EVERY “try me” button in sight then run around like crazy animals. Half the time I’m freaked out by the stuff they have for sale these days, I’d have run for the hills if I saw some of this when I was a kid!

We had so much fun making these fun treats to get excited for Halloween. Hope you all will enjoy them too!

Breadstick Mummy Dogs

1 roll/pkg Pillsbury Breadstick dough (12 count)

12 hot dogs

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll all 12 breadsticks from package. Cut each into 3 equal strips. Take 3 strips, one at a time and wrap around 1 hot dog starting from the top of the hot dog. (Each hot dog has 3 thin breadstick strips around it). Leave a small space towards the top of the hotdog to make mustard eyes. Continue wrapping all dogs then place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

2. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes. Use mustard or ketchup for the eyes.

Bug-apillar Banana Dude

The boys loved this bug-apillar banana dude. It’s great for them to get their hands dirty and help put the pieces together. Little banana legos.

Bug-apillar Banana Dude

1 ripe banana

Creamy Peanut Butter

Pretzel Sticks

Raisins

Red Fruit Snacks

1. Cut banana into 1 inch slices. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each slice (minus the last piece) then press gently back together, curving slightly if desired. Break pretzel sticks in half, then press into sides of banana for legs. Dip 2 raisins in peanut butter and stick on front banana slice for eyes, then dip red fruit snack in peanut butter and stick on bottom of banana slice for the tongue.

Ooozing Monster Apple Mouths

These are so much fun. You might have to play with a couple apples to get the wedge just right on the skin side of the apple, just takes a little practice. To get the oozing effect, I used my husbands “organic” peanut butter which is ultra creamy, otherwise you can just heat up your regular peanut butter for a few seconds in the microwave. Enjoy!

Ooozing Monster Apple Mouths

1 large Apple of choice

Peanut Butter

Mini Marshmallows

1. Core then cut the apple into fourths. Cut out a small wedge on the skin side of the apple. Blot inside with a paper towel then spread lightly with creamy peanut butter. Cut mini marshmallows in half and place over peanut butter to make the teeth.

Enjoy the rest of the Weekend, see ya’ll soon!

Comments

The Food Librarian says:

This is so cute! I love the mummies. I’m sure these are so popular with your kids!

Helene says:

You are giving me lot’s of ideas for Halloween.

Bob says:

Heh, those are great. I’m going to send a link to my siblings with children.

“They beg and plead to go to the “halloween” isle in EVERY store we go to so they can press EVERY “try me” button in sight then run around like crazy animals.”

Oh yeah. I work in retail at the moment and I see this all day every day. It drives me nuts. There is a dancing skeleton that sings “living la vida loca” that is the bane of my existence. I’m really hoping to be out by Xmas… :)

Sara says:

These are so cute!! I want to have a fun Halloween dinner and these are great ideas. :)

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Ahahahahahah! Those are just great Jenny! All of them! I would have so much fun doing them, imagine the kids, lol!

Apples and Butter says:

Those are too cute – I can hardly stand it! I wan to print out this post and keep it for when I have my own children.

~Priscilla~ says:

those apple treats are really cute!! those hot dogs in rolls sounds really good, i am adding that to my list of your recipes to try!

Thanks food librarian!
    My boys did have so much fun.

Great Helene, hope you enjoy!

Too funny Bob,
    I can imagine going crazy after hearing those darn toys all day long!

Hope I gave a few ideas sara!

Yes Rita,
    You can imagine a very messy, but happy table!

It is fun with the kiddos, that’s for sure, apples and butter!

Great Priscilla,
    Hope you enjoy!!

Lisa says:

These are just too cute! I am going to use one or two for my son’s class Haloween party.

Lucy says:

Absolutely adorable!! So much fun for the the little ones as well as for the adults!!

I too made Halloween fun for my kids when they were little ones, so much so that son, including his buddies do a neighborhood haunted house each year since HS, even have been on the local news…. and I’m still making customs ;-)

Mary Ann says:

What cute and kinda spooky treats. It is hard for me to find recipes for Halloween that aren’t too digusting. I think some are over the edge. It is a thin line. These look perfect though. Still in the Halloween spirit but not gross. Great job, I am going to use these!

Susie says:

Those are great!! I have to great snacks to school later this month. I think I am going to do one of these. The kids will love them!! Thanks!!

snbjork says:

These are great! I love that none of these treats require 15 ingredients for the recipe (like a lot of Halloween treats)! They all look so simple to make and so fun, too! I will definitely be trying these!

Can I just hire you to make cook for me every night??

Although, I am on the other side of the U.S., so that might be a problem….

deboleh says:

Hey, I’m one of Bob’s siblings with children…he sent me your link. My four-year-old is one of those kids who would make Bob miserable if he came into the store (lucky for my baby brother we live 1000 miles away). Anyway, these look fun! BTW, I made you gooey peanut butter cup things–they were yummy. It said it would make 12, so I doubled it (four kids plus a husband, and my parents were visiting…had to be sure to have enough!). I ended up with a ton of extra dough. So I baked it on the bottom of a pie plate, spread a thin layer of extra ganache over it, then combined most of a 7 oz jar of marshmallow fluff (because that’s hoe much I had), a block of softened cream cheese, and the rest of my leftover ganache, spread that on the top, and refrigerated it. Oh my gosh. It was good.

Stephanie says:

Those are too cute!! I’ve seen those apple mouths before, and thought they were adorable, but I like that you make them ooze with the peanut butter – they’re so much creepier that way. Lots of fun.

Barbara Bakes says:

Looks like you had a great time with your kids – how nice!

Janelle says:

I just found your blog from a friend, and I LOVE it! There is literally not a single recipe on the first page that doesn’t look delicious and/or fun to me. That’s pretty rare…not even one exception!

Bunny says:

Jenny these are adorable …I mean scary adorable ideas!! My granddaughters would LOVE these!

Great Lisa,
    The kids go nuts for them.

How fun Lucy,
    I bet your kids have so much fun with the haunted house! I picture my boys doing the same thing when they are older!

I hear you Mary Ann,
    Some things you see, it’s like you’ll never eat them!

Glad I could help Susie!

snbjork,
    Too funny, how about I just keep posting recipes?!! That might be easier!

Deboleh,
    Welcome to Picky Palate. Yes, my boys are those crazy ones in the stores too! Glad you enjoyed the peanut butter cup recipe and great way to improvise with left overs. Sounds wonderful!

Thanks Stephanie!

Yes, it was nice Barbara!

Welcome Janelle!
    Hope you’ll find some goodies to make!

Just missed you Bunny! Hope the granddaughters enjoy!

Mandy says:

I love it! What fun and creative Halloween ideas! This is definitely our kind of food, thanks for sharing!

Kim says:

If only my grandsons were around to enjoy these goulish treats!

Jaime says:

hahahahaa – those are so cute! i esp love the mummies and mouths!

Proud Italian Cook says:

How cute is that! Something for my Granddaughter and I to make together! Thanks Jenny, you’re so clever!!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

I love these ideas! I think the hot dog mummies are my favorite!

Emily says:

Oh cute Jenny! I am a Halloween guru too! I love to dec everything out and have a big halloween party! (I am going to have to have my sisters check this out! There boys would love it!)

That Girl says:

These are SUCH cute ideas. Now I’m sad that I didn’t serve something cute tonight at my dinner party!

Mary says:

You are unbelievably creative!

RecipeGirl says:

Super cute. I love the mummy hot doggies. And I used to do the apple smiles when I was teaching. If you use red apples, they look like lips :) I guess the green makes them look more like monsters though!

Erin says:

Mummy Hot Dog treats are a classic. Thanks for reminding me of this cute holiday treat :)

Amy says:

These are all GREAT!! I’ve got a little guy with a Halloween birthday and we love to make these kinds of things for his birthday. We will be trying these out this year:) Thanks!!

Candy says:

Gross! But in a good way! My boys used to love Halloween too.

Denissa says:

Oh my goodness gracious, I came upon your blog from searching for the Levain chocolate chip cookies. I CAN NOT wait to try out some recipes, only problem I can’t decide which to make first! Everything looks delicious,definitely adding you to my blog list! :)

Emiline says:

Adorable! This looks like a lot of fun.

annieseats says:

Oh my goodness, the cuteness is overwhelming! My friend and I are hosting a Halloween party this year and I think I will have to make the breadstick mummy dogs. Thanks for such a fabulous idea!

Mandy says:

This is hilarious! I love the creativity and it makes me want to throw a halloween party!

Leslie says:

Cute Cute Cute…I saw the mummy hot dogs in one of my THOUSAND magazines I got this month! I HAVE to make them!

carol says:

These are TOO cute! I’ll have to give my daughter Robin the heads up-her 2 boys would LOVE these! What fun Stephen would have making these for himself and his little brother Nick!!!

mona says:

Hi Jen,
    It’s Mona. Derek and I haven’t visited in awhile and we thought we would check out the goodies. Fun Stuff!!! We love the halloween section. Great ideas and yummy treats. We love you so much….have a
    great night!!!…Mom

Pam says:

My kids will love these. My daughter LOVES Halloween and these treats will make her one happy kid.

nicole says:

Those are so cute. My son will love them. The mummies will be a hit.

Beth says:

Great ideas. Have bookmarked this post!

Swedish Mike says:

Awesome! I just love the Breadstick Mummy Dogs. ;)

// Mike

Tasty Trends says:

so cute!!!

Katherine Aucoin says:

You are so creative Jenny. All of them our so cut, I love the mummy dogs and the oozing mouths the best.

Allie says:

lol how funny, your boys are the cutest. I love the Bug-apillar banana great idea for kids getting involved!

Prudy says:

Jenny! These are seriously such cute ideas. Your little boys are so lucky to have such a fun mom.

Thanks everyone! It’s great to read all of your comments!

Chocolate Shavings says:

Those treats looks creepily delicious! Any picky eater would enjoy those.

The Blonde Duck says:

Those are so cute! I love the mummies. My husband will like them as much as your kids, I bet!