Dec
2008

Christmas Re-cap… and It’s Cold Outside So Let’s Eat Soup!

Tags:

Dinner

I’m glad the new Spiderman PJ’s went over well! It doesn’t get much better than that face!

How was everyone’s Christmas? We have been staying at my mom’s in AZ for the last week and a half and have had so much fun. I also survived unpacking in Newport last week. I now compare unpacking next to death. I was so crabby, but I am officially unpacked and ready for our new life in Newport after the new year.

Since I haven’t been home to blog my recipes, I’ve put together some of my favorite soups in one giant post. I am such a baby when it’s so cold and all I want to eat is warm soup! Enjoy some of my favorite Christmas snapshots and some MMM good Soup!

______________________________

Chicken Pot Pie Bowls with Puffy Croutons

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium white onion finely diced
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 stick butter (I know, I hear the groans)
½ Cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 cans chicken broth
1 Cup half and half (there go the groans again)
½ Cup low fat sour cream (better?)
1 Cup petite peas, frozen is fine
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of garlic salt, Lawry’s

1 sheet thawed puff pastry
1 egg mixed with 1 Tbsp water
¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning

1. Heat oil into a large dutch oven or heavy pot. Saute carrots, onion, celery and onion until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Reduce heat to low stir in chicken and simmer.

2. In a separate medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and half and half until smooth. Increase heat to high while continually whisking until mixture thickens and almost starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in sour cream and peas. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of garlic salt (won’t need much). Simmer on low while croutons are cooking.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Gently roll out puff pastry with a rolling pin to even thickness. With pastry brush, brush pastry with egg wash and lightly sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. With pizza cutter, cut into ½ inch squares. Place squares onto a large baking sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool.

4. Serve in pot pie base in bowls and top with puffy croutons, Enjoy!

Hearty Healthy Chicken Soup

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
½ Cup red bell pepper, finely diced
½ Cup white onion, finely diced
2 Tablespoons jalapeno, minced (seeded and membranes removed)
3 cloves garlic, minced

2 14 oz cans chicken broth
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 can northern beans, undrained (white beans)
1 can drained corn kernels
2 Cups thinly sliced fresh spinach leaves, stems removed
2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped or shredded
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning Mix

1. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Saute carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion and jalapeno for 5-8 minutes stirring frequently. Stir in garlic and cook for 2 minutes.

2. Stir in remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve with fresh rolls. Enjoy!

Classic Hearty Corn Chowder

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
4 large carrots, diced
1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ lb diced ham
10 fresh ears of corn, kernels removed and placed into bowl (or a 2lb bag of frozen corn)
3 14 oz cans chicken broth
8 oz sour cream
1 cup half and half

Roasted Poblano Cream
1 Roasted poblano pepper
½ Cup sour cream

1. Place olive oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add onion, celery, carrots and fennel. Cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Stir in garlic and ham until combined. Place half of the corn into a food processor and mix until nearly smooth. Pour mixture into pot with whole kernels. Stir in chicken broth, sour cream and half and half. Reduce heat to low. Season with salt, pepper and garlic seasoning according to taste. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Garnish with cilantro leaves and Roasted Poblano cream if desired.

Roasted Poblano Cream

1. Place poblano pepper under oven’s broiler on a baking sheet or foil. Broil for 15-20 minutes, flipping half way through or until blackened on all sides. Transfer to a brown lunch sack and fold top down to trap steam inside. After about 10 minutes, remove peppers and peel the blackened skin away. Chop the roasted poblano and stir into sour cream. Place a dollop on top of soup if desired.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

12 oz Applewood smoked bacon
4 stalks celery finely diced
2 large carrots, peeled, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded, membrane removed and finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
½ Cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup thinly sliced ham or Canadian bacon
32 oz chicken broth
6 oz half and half
10 med/lg. potatoes, baked, peeled and mashed
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ Cup milk
4 oz sour cream
1 ½ Cups shredded cheddar cheese

Garnish
½ Cup sour cream
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup thinly sliced green onion (green part)

1. Heat large dutch oven over medium heat. Cut bacon into pieces and cook until browned and crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard bacon grease, reserving 2 Tablespoons to sauté veggis. Saute celery, carrots, jalapeno, onion and bell pepper in bacon grease for 10 minutes, stirring often until softened. Stir in garlic and ham; cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in chicken broth and half and half.

2. Place mashed potatoes in a stand or electric mixer. Mix on medium speed adding salt, pepper and milk. Stir mashed potatoes into soup until combined. Heat for 10 minutes.

3. Stir in sour cream and cheese until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Top with sour cream, bacon, cheese and green onion.

Creamy Fire Roasted Tomato and Bacon Soup

12 strips of bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 Cup white onion, finely chopped
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
¼ Cup flour
3 14 oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth
28 oz can Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes

10-12 fresh basil leaves with stem

Few pinches of salt to taste
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 Cup half and half or heavy cream

1. Place bacon pieces in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Cook until browned and crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.

2. Add onion, carrots, celery and pepper to hot bacon grease. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic for 1 minutes then stir in flour for another minute.

3. Slowly stir in chicken broth. Add tomatoes, basil leaves, salt, pepper and half of crumbled crisp bacon.

4. Remove basil leaves from soup and carefully transfer soup, in batches, to a blender and blend
until smooth. Pour back into pot and stir in heavy cream. Simmer on low for 15 minutes. Top each bowl with remaining crumbled bacon pieces. Enjoy!

Have a Great Week! I’ll be back soon with some favorite light recipes for the New Year!!

Comments

Barbara Bakes says:

What a great collection of soups! Glad you’re all settled. I look forward to a new year of your wonderful recipes!

Dawn says:

Jenny I just printed the first soup and will be making that soon as I know hubby loves creamy chicken soup, and you’ve obviously kicked this one up a few notches. Love it!
    Happy New Year! Good luck with the final stages of your move!

Mary says:

So glad you had a good Christmas and the move went smoothly. Let your Mom pamper you until the trip back to California.

Claire says:

You’re killing me with these soups! They look SO good. And those faces…they are just precious!

Lisa B. says:

Precious faces and yummmy soups! I dont see how you could already be all unpacked! Great job! I would have been crabby too.

Lisa B. says:

ps Good luck to your hubby and new job.

Sara says:

All your soups look delicious! Especially the loaded baked potato soup, my hubby will love it! Have a Happy New Year in Newport!

Patsyk says:

Those soups look wonderful to me! Save me a bowl! ;)

Those pictures of your boys are priceless! They are so adorable!

Bob says:

Man, I miss my Spider Man pajamas. :(

Merry Christmas! You must be glad the move is done with, moving sucks. I’m definitely trying that first one, it looks mad good.

Bridgett says:

Wow, how do you choose which one is your favorite?? I do have my eye on the corn chowder though. Looks fabulous!

Tracy says:

YUM! You always have the best, creative recipes on here and I haven’t once failed on any of them! I cannot thank you enough!

So a question for you: I tried using the phyllo dough for the first time a few weeks ago and it was an utter disaster. I had thought I’d seen enough cooks use this on Food Network to handle it, but couldn’t. I was trying to make cheese twists with them from a mag. recipe and it was an awful mess that ended in the trash. So, what’s the secret to working successfully with this stuff? Thanks in advance so much!!

Sharon says:

Glad you’ve been enjoying your visit! I wish I saw this post earlier in the evening when I was cold and only wanted hot soup for dinner! Definitely bookmarking this great post. Happy New Year!

Noor says:

Hey girl wow we missed out on a lot sorry for no comments but we did our move to Saudi Arabia. And I just am now getting online. So wow did you move as well? The soups look yummy, I love soups. Drop me a line and good luck plus happy holidays!!!!

Culinarywannabe says:

Glad to hear you are unpacked and ready to go in Newport. What an adventure for the new year!

HoneyB says:

I hear you on the unpacking! I so hate moving! I will be looking so forward to you coming back on a regular basis! :)

Allie says:

Glad the unpacking is out of the way! The boys looked like they won the lottery with all the new stuff.

That Girl says:

Welcome!!!

Emily says:

Hope you had a great Christmas! Love the pictures.

I love all of these soups! I need them all to keep me warm. Glad you had a nice Christmas!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Glad you had fun during the holidays and that you survived unpacking! Those soups are all we need now!

Anne says:

It looks like a wonderful Christmas! I hope the move is going well. I can’t wait to try some of those soups… it’s finally cold! :) Happy new year Jenny!

Aggie says:

Oh your soups look so great!! I love those puffy croutons!

Your boys are just the cutest! We have those same spidey pjs! My son was super excited over…Transformer sheets! it’s the little things sometimes…cute!

Meg says:

Happy Holidays! All these soups look amazing! I don’t know which one to try first!

Jaime says:

that fire roasted tomato soup is one of my favorites! happy new year!

Deanna says:

Oh where do I start?!?!?

Bunny says:

They all look terrific Jenny, but that loaded potato soup is right up my alley, and that tomato soup!! Wonderful!! I’m glad your unpacking is over with, now you can Breathe!! LOL!! I hope we get to see pictures of your new house!!!

ConversationsWithACupcake says:

A New Year in Newport. I’m wickedly jealous!

May it be a wonderful, wonderful year!

God bless.

Rachelle says:

Ooh I see a few of my favorites right there!! I love the puffy croutons too :)

Live.Love.Eat says:

Hey Picky! The soups look awesome even if it is still warm here in FL! Glad to hear your Xmas was wonderful. Your little guy who is holding the Madagascar looks so much like you in that pic.

Well, Happy New Year my friend!!!!!

CookiePie says:

Wonderful soups!! Looks like you had a warm and cozy holiday with your beautiful family :) Here’s to a fantastic New Year!

Lori says:

Love all these soup recipes, especially that baked potato one!

carol says:

Jenny-your soups look AMAZING! Here in MA…it’s DEFINITELY soup weather-especially today-snowing to beat the band. I’ll send you some if you want-believe me, I’ll have PLENTY to spare!
    Oh the looks of glee on those boys of yours-too cute!
    Happy New Year-many good wishes to you and yours in your new home…oh and by the way….crabby and unpacking go hand in hand…NOT a fun job-and WHAT a relief when it’s done!

Priscilla says:

Happy New Year 2009 to you Jenny! Your little boys are adorable and I look forward to you seeing you posting regulary again! Thanks for such a great blog (I modeled mine after yours).=)

Mary Ann says:

Jenny,
    I am glad to hear that you are getting unpacked- I hate it, too. All these soups look so good-I can’t decide which one to make first. I need something to make this snow melt!

The Blonde Duck says:

Happy New Year! I love all these soups. Printing them out now!

biz319 says:

Love the look on your boys faces!

I can eat soup 365 days a year – thanks for the recipes.

Happy New Year to You and Yours!

Katrina says:

Love all your soups! Cute pics of your boys, too.
    Happy New Year! Can’t wait to see what you’ve got for us in 2009!

Will anybody be able to smell a smoke smell on me?

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme
    of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very difficult to
    get that “perfect balance” between usability and appearance.

I must say that you’ve done a amazing job with this.
    Also, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Safari.
    Exceptional Blog!