Jan
2009

Creamy Chipotle Chicken Tortellini with White Beans and Cilantro

Tags: ,

Dinner

Good Sunday everyone.

Looks like I’ve just about survived my first week in CA. I thought my husband was joking when he said there was an earthquake last Thursday evening. He went on and on about feeling the couch rattle. Sure enough he was right. We watched the news that evening and a fairly small earthquake hit southern CA. It wasn’t all that close to us, but he really felt it. This is all going to take some getting used to!

I’ve also enjoyed checking out 2 different farmer’s markets in the area which I am LOVING. The beach has been great even in the chilly windy weather. I am grateful my boys are transitioning well, I was so worried about it. Mason enjoys his new school and even had his first play day with a school friend who already calls Mason his best friend.

Now for the dinner. This is a great weeknight dinner that is hearty and warm. I made mine pretty mild by only adding 1 Tablespoon adobo sauce, but if you like it spicy, add more. I love the addition of the white beans, feel free to add any bean that your family likes, or leave them out. Any way you like it, it’s wonderful. I hope you all enjoy! Below the tortellini is a fun little breakfast bar I was playing around with. We loved them, check em out.

Creamy Chipotle Chicken Tortellini with White Beans and Cilantro

8 oz pkg cheese filled tortellini

4 Tablespoons butter

¼ Cup flour

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

2 Cups skim milk

2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1 Tablespoon adobo sauce, from can of chipotle chilies

2 cooked, shredded chicken breasts

14 oz can navy or cannellini beans, drained

¼ Cup chopped cilantro leaves

1. Prepare tortellini according to package directions

2. Melt butter into a medium dutch oven over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until combined. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Increase heat to medium high while continuously whisking. Continue until mixture thickens. Reduce heat to low and stir in 2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese. Stir until melted and smooth then add the adobo sauce. Add drained tortellini to pot along with chicken, beans and cilantro. Reduce heat to low and serve.

6 servings

_______________________

Good Morning Breakfast Bars

14 oz can condensed milk

2 ½ Cups Rolled oats or Barley Flakes

6 oz package craisins

½ Cup dried pineapple

1 Cup teddy graham trail mix

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Pour milk into a small saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until warmed. Place milk along with remaining ingredients into a large mixing bowl. With a rubber spatula, stir until combined, then pour into a well greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, remove and let cool for 15 minutes. Cut into squares and let continue cooling. Store in an air tight container.

12 squares

______________________________________

Look What I found 2 Minutes Away From our Home!

The boys and I hit the jackpot when I found Sprinkles seriously minutes away. I had the chocolate marshmallow cupcake with bittersweet ganache and I was in heaven! The boys are boring with their plain vanilla, but they loved it anyway!

Have a great week, more recipes coming soon!

Comments

I love all the great recipes you post. I made the bbq chicken salad with cilantro ranch dressing the other day and my husband and I LOVED it! I want to post the recipe on my family blog and then put a link back to your blog, but I wanted to ask permission first. I don’t want to violate any copyright laws or anything. Please let me know if that would be okay. Thanks!

Hi Jenny,
    Yes, feel free to post the recipe on your blog. I always appreciate those who ask and link back to my blog. Thanks!! Glad you enjoyed.

Rachelle says:

Silly, we’ve got about 15 min till Sunday! lol

I keep forgetting we have a little farmer’s market close by every friday (3-6pm) and I always forget, plus the weird hours…someday I’ll catch it.

Leslie says:

So is Sprinkles worth all the hoop-la?
    Im glad you are enjoy your new surroundings.
    Love the dishes you cooked up for us today!

Chef Chuck says:

Hello Jenny, This looks like a wonderful blend!
    Something about cilantro I love, and the creamy chipotle, Yumm! So the ground was shaken in Cailfornia, I have never witnessed a earth quake, Thank God!
    I am not sure how I would handle that!
    It sounds like you are happy with your farmers market. That,s great!
    I grow tons of good Red Nubian garlic, this garlic I picked up in Italy!(Sicily). Grown in Arizona! I will gladly send you some in the spring if you like.
    Thanks, Chuck

Aggie says:

Hi Jenny! Wow, great post! I love that pasta dish, chipotle is my new favorite spice! And those bars are awesome too!

I love hearing about your new finds in your new home! It’s exciting! I would be in cupcake heaven!!

Barbara Bakes says:

Sounds like another great recipe! I’m glad you’re enjoying your new home! I’d love to see pictures!

Meg says:

Sounds like the transition is going pretty well! Can’t be too hard with a Sprinkles that close.

Love the tortellini and the breakfast bars!

carol says:

Oh those enticing words…Chipotle….Chicken….Tortellini…how can this be anything but wonderful! I can’t wait to try it. Your breakfast bars look really good too.
    My husband lived in San Jose so he knows all about those earth shakers…NOT fun. I guess every place has its downside as far as weather and such. Glad to hear the boys are settling in well and Mason already has a new best friend-how cute is that?
    Have never heard of “Sprinkles” but that cupcake sounds mighty good!!! :)

Priscilla says:

Mm, both recipes look soo good Jenny. Your boys are so cute, your little blonde one is especially cute. I know you live in Newport Beach, I realized not long after so does my Uncle and his family!

Sara says:

Yum, both the tortellini and the breakfast bars looks great! I love anything with cilantro, so I’ll have to try it out.

Sprinkles cupcakes are amazing! Try the peanut butter one, it’s honestly one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. :) And if you haven’t already, hit up the mall across the street from the Sprinkles in Newport, it’s got a great view and awesome shops!

Tracy says:

I’m glad everything is going ok in California! I felt an earthquake once here in Western New York and it was disconcerting. The cupcake shop sounds dangerous, to have one that close!

Culinarywannabe says:

Glad you are getting settled in nicely. And the ground moving could definitely take some getting used to!

Bob says:

Oh man, that tortellini looks good. The breakfast bars do too, of course, but they don’t have a while sauce. :) Glad you are doing well in CA, it took my sister a long time to get used to the quakes when they moved out there. Of course, now she doesn’t even notice them. :D

Mila says:

That tortelinni looks delish!

♥Reeni says:

The pasta looks awesome!! The breakfast bars, too, especially with the Teddy grahams in it! Sprinkles, your so lucky, yum!!

Beth says:

Glad you’re settling in well. Great recipes – loving the tortellini

Mary Ann says:

How fun that you are so close to so many fun things. I think I could probably get used to going to the beach in winter, even if it is a little windy.
    I love that you added beans to this dinner. I am always trying to get more beans into our diet. The breakfast bars look wonderful too.
    Looks great, Jenny!

Patsyk says:

Wow! 2 more great recipes to try! I’ll get to eat the tortellini all by myself though… the “others” in my house have decided they don’t like it for some reason. Oh well… more for me!

Love those breakfast bars. May have to try them later this week. Trying to find ways to make these types of things at home.

Emily says:

Glad you’re enjoying your new city! I’m super jealous that you have a Sprinkles there.

Be careful with the earthquakes. Although I could put up with the earthquakes if I got to live in Newport Beach.

The pasta and the bars look great!

Lorie says:

Those recipes look yummy!

And you JUST found Sprinkes!!! I think they are responsibe for like 5lbs of weight gain since they opened last year!

Their egg nog cupcakes last month were TO DIE FOR! And the Key Lime! Y-U-M

I think you need to post some cupcake recipes now!!

Sharon says:

Glad you’re settling in! I STILL haven’t tried Sprinkles Cupcakes but that’s probably a good thing. No need to add on to my already long list of dessert obsessions!

The tortellini looks amazing. I’ve been stocking up on white beans lately

Kaitlin says:

Another fabulous recipe Jenny! It looks delish. I’m glad to hear that you liking CA! It must be exciting! On a side note, I saw a commercial the other day for Ultimate Recipe Showdown with my hubby and I was like “REWIND THAT, I THINK THAT’S JENNY!” A little later that night I went to your blog and it just happened to be the same day you posted about the show! I can’t wait to watch. =)

Katrina says:

Yummy looking tortellini! And the granola bars!
    Love the LA area, sounds like things are going great, so much to do and all so close by!

Rebekah says:

Looks like CA is treating you well. I can’t wait to try the pasta, I could dive right into the picture and eat it! Yummy!!

Bunny says:

It all looks so good Jenny, I wish we had farmers markets all over the place! I’m glad the boys are adjusting well, they’re young and will make lots of friends. Earthquakes!! I don’t know if I’d adjust to that !!

That Girl says:

I actually thought of your during the earthquake. In truth, that’s about normal size around here. And most people don’t feel them. I always do, but I also think they’re fun since I didn’t grow up here.

Pam says:

I am so glad you are doing well in California.

The sauce sounds amazing with the tortellini and beans. YUM.

Allie says:

Oh yummy, both the tortellini and the breakfast bars looks great, it’s making me hungry! So glad the boys are liking it there it makes the stress level a little less when the kids are happy.

Sara says:

Awesome tortellini. I want to try this soon. Your breakfast bar looks delicious. I’ve got all the ingredients…I’m in luck! Glad you are transiitoning well to California, and I would love to have a little cupcake shop close by.

My Sweet & Saucy says:

I’ve been to that Sprinkles before!!! You must live in such a gorgeous part of Newport if you live a couple minutes away from Sprinkles. You should definitely apply to Sur la Table right in that same center because you would be a great teacher…their classes are awesome there! Once life gets less hectic email me and lets plan on a day to meet up and chat!

A Frugal Friend says:

Oh my goodness…..I love sprinkles too. I am just glad its 45 minutes out of my way! HEeHee

I love your blog – and just had to put you on my short blog roll for all to see.

Rebekah says:

I just had to tell you that my grocery store here in southern AZ finally got the cinnamon chips! I was so excited I bought several bags! Just thought I’d share that since you were the one that got me started in my quest to find some!
    Happy Day!

CookiePie says:

That pasta looks soooo yummy!! The bars too — delicious!

Jaime says:

that looks wonderful! glad you are settling in well to CA

Kevin says:

That chicken tortellini looks really tasty!

Sara says:

Both of these dishes look great. I love Sprinkles cupcakes, my favorites are red velvet and strawberry!

Tasty Trends says:

that pasta looks great! what a twist on pasta! i am definitely going to have to bookmark that to try out

Michelle@Life with Three says:

I made this tonight and just sampled a bite — TO DIE FOR! So good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

i'm kelly says:

welcome to california!

Deborah says:

My husband and I have been talking about moving to CA in the next few years – I could go for the farmers markets, but not the earthquakes!!

This looks like a delicious dinner!

Hillary says:

I really need you to tell me what brand of Adobo sauce you use. I bought some last week to make your chicken salad recipe and was a little scared of the Adobo sauce. Is it supposed to be like a paste…It was very potent strong. It scared me a little. I would love to know what you use and where you get it. Thanks

Tracy says:

Yum I definitely want to try this!

LilSis says:

My family loves Tortellini! I’ll be making this recipe soon!

What a fun way to enjoy tortellini! The smoky of chipotle would add a great kick.

Maggy says:

Wow, this is some special tortellini! Looks delish. Would love to have that for dinner.

Wow…now this is my kind of pasta dish! This looks great!

breakfast bars are nice addition to the kitchen, i would really love to install them at my own home ,”*

Thank you for the huge review, but I m really love the new Zune, and i wish this, as well as the bad reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it s the right choice for you.

dentist says:

I don’t write many remarks, however i did a few searching and wound up here Creamy Chipotle Chicken Tortellini with White Beans and Cilantro – Picky Palate.
    And I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright.

Could it bbe only mme or does it seem like a few
    of the comments appear as if they are coming from brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are posting on other online social sites,
    I’d like to keep up with anything new you have to post.
    Would you list of every one of all your social sites like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?