Mar
2009

Roasted Butternut Squash, Red Potato and Asiago Soup

Tags: ,

Dinner

Hey everyone, hope this week is treating you all well. Yesterday I took the boys to their first Disneyland Day since we’ve been here in CA and it was well, interesting. The cool thing was that we basically walked right on the rides, which NEVER happens, however it was pretty rainy for about half the time. I think I’d rather deal with the rain than the hundreds of thousands of people though. We had a great time, I just need to remind my children that they do not get toys every time we visit or Mom goes broke!

Here’s that soup I was talking about in the last post. It is warm, hearty, packed full of vegetables and just perfect. I LOVE a good baked potato soup and this time I added roasted butternut squash. Wait until you try it, you are going to love it!

Roasted Butternut Squash, Red Potato and Asiago Soup

2 lbs cubed butternut squash (you can buy this already cut for you in the produce dept)
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt with parsley

5 lbs baby red potatoes, cut into fourths (I left the skin on)
5 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt with parsley
1 1/2 Cups milk

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch of celery, diced
4 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced (optional, but so good)
1 large onion, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
4 oz diced pancetta
4 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 14 oz cans chicken broth
1 Cup shredded Asiago Cheese (you can also use Parmesan)
1 1/2- 2 1/2 Cups milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place butternut squash onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Use hands to coat all ingredients together. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and fork tender. Remove.

2. Place potatoes into a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes or until fork tender. Remove and transfer to a stand or electric mixer. Mix on slow until smashed, then add butter, salt, pepper, garlic salt and milk.

3. Place olive oil into a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add in celery, carrots, fennel, onion and red bell pepper. Add pancetta to vegetables as well. Cook and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, until vegetables are softened and pancetta is browned. Sprinkle in flour and stir, will be thick. Slowly add in chicken broth and increase heat slightly; cook until hot and thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in mashed potatoes in batches. Stir in Asiago cheese until melted. At this point add additional milk until it is your desired consistency. I like my soup pretty thick, so I add less milk, but it is completely up to you. Right before serving, stir in roasted butternut squash. Enjoy.

__________________

I wasn’t very good about taking pictures yesterday because of the rain, but here is my little guy who got chosen for the jedi training. It was so cute, he loved it and got to fight the bad guys. Below is my little stinker sitting with me trying to knock the camera out of my hand while taking pictures of brother!

Have a great rest of your week. See you soon with something tasty!

Comments

Alisa - Frugal Foodie says:

The butternut must add such a nice subtle sweetness to the soup. It looks delicious!

Mary Ann says:

I must make this soup! I am so crazy about butternut squash and I have been trying it in everything. This looks so good, Jenny. Especially with all the new snow we have on the ground!

Laura says:

The spooky thing is that I came on here to see if you had a butternut squash soup recipe. I can’t get enough of the V8 Golden Butternut Squash soup and figure I can find something to make myself, with much less sodium. This sounds wonderful, so thanks.

Crazy Lady says:

i made the pork chops and potatoes last night and it was delicious.

is my computer messed up or is all the food looking really white? i can see the background colors and placemats really pop, but the actually food colors aren’t showing for me. is anyone else having that problem?

LilSis says:

Thanks for sharing that recipe! I have never cooked with butternut squash, but I love baked potato soup and this is a great way for me to try something new. I absolutely love making homemade soup. I, too, watch the sodium so I never eat canned soup.

Mary says:

I love any type of squash in soup. This sounds delicious. The boys are getting big — cute as ever.

Allie says:

Yummy I love your soups! The boys are growing up so fast!!

Kerstin says:

Yum – looks delicious!

I made your banana bread drop doughnuts the other weekend and they were amazing (and this is coming from a girl whose friends bought her 21 donuts instead of a cake on her 21st bday). I can never get enough doughnuts.

Love your blog!

Leslie says:

I love love love Butternut Squash! Have you tried making butternut squash fries? So delish!
    I am going to try your soup.. with veggie broth.
    Looks Delish!
    Leslie
    LeslieVeg@msn.com

Helene says:

You must have had fun. Beautiful soup.

NatNibbles says:

Soup looks delicious! Have a great time in Cali :)

Dawn says:

I am so loving this combination in the soup. And the squash makes it healthy too. Good idea woman!

Meghan says:

Hi Jenny – I’m a new blogger/commenter but have been a reader of yours for a while. I love your recipes and have made quite a few – pumpkin kisses spice cookies, cheesy enchiladas, southwest soup, just to name a few. I’ve also adapted your habit of sneaking spinach into recipes – brilliant! This soup looks delicious! I made a butternut squash/apple soup earlier this year, but this soup seems a little more savory, which I prefer. Thanks for sharing your great recipes!!!

Lauren says:

Baked Potato Soup is my absolute favorite food, and your recipe looks divine!

How fun you got to walk on all of the rides! I was there last week on the same day of the week and it was packed! :)

Bob says:

Now that’s my kind of soup! Looks great. :)

Bunny says:

You make the most fantastic soups Jenny!!

Meg says:

What a wonderful soup!

Glad Disneyland was fun!

Not Another Omnivore says:

Looks fabulous!

NAOmni

The Food Librarian says:

I love Disneyland’s Jedi Knight Academy…and I don’t have kids! It is so much fun to watch!

Stephanie says:

Yeah that is what little brothers do! LOL! I have the same problem.

Great food! Now if only I can get you to come cook for me.

Leslie says:

I will take a bit of rain over over long lines anyday

Katrina says:

Yum to the soup!
    Jenny, I must tell you–I just made the Banana Peanut Butter Cup Cookies yesterday. Holy Cow! They may be my favorite cookie ever! I love them and so does everyone else who has tried them. The scary thing is, since the banana replaces the butter and they have whole wheat flour, I reason that they are “healthy” and have been eating too many of them! By far, my favorite banana cookie EVER! Thanks.
    I will be posting them on my blog and linking you, if that’s okay!

Stephanie says:

Yummy!

The soup is right up my alley!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Glad you had fun at Disneyland! Kids look so happy in the pictures! I would be happy to go as well, and to eat that soup too ;)!

Noor says:

MMMMMM this looks good, I really want a bowl. I think I will make this soon.

Live.Love.Eat says:

Jedi training academy? Oh how cool. My son would love this!!! And this soup, I would love it!!!!!

I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog
    that’s both equally educative and interesting, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is something which not enough people are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I came across this during my search for something
    concerning this.