Mar
2009

Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Sausage Soup in 10 Minutes?!! Yes!

Tags: ,

Dinner

Good Thursday everyone! The folks at Mezzetta Napa Valley Bistro Pasta Sauce sent me some of their wonderful sauces to try. Let me tell you they are incredible! So incredible that I used one to create this zippity do da soup that’s done in practically no time at all.

If you are looking for a quick weeknight dinner that won’t keep you in the kitchen long (I hope you can handle 10 minutes), you’ll love this. I’m not just saying that this soup tastes like it’s been simmering all day, it really does. My whole family had the entire pot eaten without any leftovers the next day. I even caught my 3 year old picking up his bowl to drink the very last drop. Trust me this one is tasty! Make sure to enjoy this soup with some good garlic bread and a salad too.

Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Sausage Soup

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 lb Italian Sausage
10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (stacked, rolled and thinly sliced)
1 26 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce or homemade sauce (click red link to see the Mezzetta sauce I used)
1 Cup water
1 1/2 Cups half and half
Pinch of salt and pepper

1. Place olive oil into a medium sized dutch oven over medium heat. Cook sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil leaves, pasta sauce, water, half and half, salt and pepper. Cook until warm then reduce heat to low. Simmer until ready to serve. It’s that easy!

4 servings

_______________________________

After we enjoyed our soup, we had a fun little family night where I had little cakes for the boys to decorate and here’s a glimpse of how the night turned out. A total mess thanks to the above big kid himself. You better believe when the boys saw Dad do it, there was no stopping them. So much for the decorating! I couldn’t help but snap some pics of these cake mangling goofballs.

Have a great rest of the week. Happy Cooking!

Comments

Barbara Bakes says:

The soup sounds easy and tasty! Such a cute family!

Allie says:

Yummy, I’ld have to make this all the time if my hubby finds out it only took 10 minutes!

Nicole says:

OMG that sounds soooo yummy! Whata messy group you had. I know how you feel, I have 3 boys and a husband. They keep me on my toes!

Great soup! Love that is so easy! And I love the fun photos, looks like everyone had a good time!

Dawn says:

Sure why not! Everyone needs a good messy cake night! Now that sounds like fun.
    Love the soup too, well, anything with italian sausage gets my vote.

Patsyk says:

Oh, that sounds so good! I just got my package of their sauces as well.

Those pictures are adorable! Love that your husband was the ringleader of the fun!

Debbie says:

That soup looks very tasty…

Sara says:

So easy and so good! This looks delicious!

Elra says:

Your soup really look delicious Jeanny, sounds very easy as well.
    Cheers,
    elra

Great sounding recipe. Boy, that little one is a spitting image of you….how adorable.

Bob says:

That soup looks wicked good, I love me some Italian sausage. Heh, sometimes you just have to eat cake with your hands. ;)

Meghan says:

This soup looks so delicious! I love creamy tomato soup, and adding sausage puts it over the top! Great pictures of your 3 men!!!

Joanna says:

How funny! :)
    We don’t have kids yet, but my husband walks by several times while I am in the kitchen (usually while I am baking) and “stealthily” sneaks a bit of this and that – oh! and he also has a sixth sense about the exact minute before the buzzer is going to ring, so he can be the official taste tester. :)
    I love your blog, and I share the same love of cooking and love of family that you do. I have saved many of your recipes – thanks. :)

Helene says:

This is a great soup. So nice that you get to test their sauces.

Erin says:

I’m seriously so excited to make this soup. Thank you for posting the recipe!

Carrian says:

This looks delicious! We made a good Italian Soup a while back, it’s on my blog, but creamy sounds so good! I’ll have to give it a try this week since it’s still snowing!

Not Another Omnivore says:

These pictures are awesome! So much fun!

NAOmni

Kevin, Amber & Jake says:

thank you thank you thank you!!!! we just made this for dinner tonight…. it is officially my favorite soup EVER!!!!!!! my hubby and 2 1/2 year old agree!!!!!! i LOVE that it really was so FAST to make! my blog is private but you can email me at sweetexan04@hotmail.com

Katie says:

I woke up to a snowy morning here in Utah and saw your recipe this morning and knew I had to make it. It was SO easy and super yum. I even toasted up some garlic bread with parmesan cheese and it was a hit with the whole family. Thanks!!!

Recipe Girl says:

Jenny,

your boys (I mean all three!!) look like they had a blast!!!

Your soup looks super good!!!

-shannon

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth says:

Totally going to make the soup now that it’s winter again in Utah. Just went out and got my mini cheesecake pan from WS finally. I can’t wait to play with it!

Meg says:

What an awesome soup! Love the cake fun.

Gourmet Mama says:

What a nice simple soup. Great recipe!

You know, the cake mashing is also memory making. Some of my best memories of my dad are of peapod fights, where we hurled handfuls of peapods around the room and at each other while shelling gallons of peas. Your boys are so going to remember the night Daddy mashed the cake and they got to do it, too! :)

Katrina says:

Fun times! Yummy soup.

KT says:

I can not wait to make this soup!

Live.Love.Eat says:

OMG, your boys really do have a lot of you in them!!!!!!! I see you’re married to a big kid too. That’s a good thing!!!!!

The DeMarcus Family says:

The soup was so yummy! I substituted with Turkey Italian sausage and I used that brands creamy marinara.. amazingly good .. and really 10 minutes!!!!

Jones says:

I just made this soup tonight and it’s amazing! I wasn’t sure it was gonna REALLY turn out ya know? it’s too simple! well now it’s be a favorite keeper recipe!

THANK YOU!

Jane says:

Just wanted to say Thank You so much for taking the time to blog your yummy recipes! I’ve been following your blog since your early days and have tried so many recipes starting with your Superbowl menu. I’ve been making this soup once a week (sometimes even twice) since you’ve shared it! My family & friends just can’t get enough of it!

Hannah says:

This soup is delicious and filling. It comes out looking exactly like the picture.

Becky says:

All I can say is WOW!! I have been looking forward to this soup for dinner all week. Our bread isn’t ready yet but I just tasted the soup. It is amazing!! I’m sorry that my hubby is traveling but he’ll definitely get to try this another time. So good and sooo easy!!

Rachel says:

This soup was amazing! I made it for a work party and it was devoured. I used a four cheese pasta sauce and added onion, green peppers and herbed garlic salt. Everyone was asking me for the recipe!

My brother suggested I might like this website. He was totally right. This post actually made my day. You cann’t consider just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

[...] Taco SoupMonday: Chicken & RiceTuesday: PastaWednesday: Creamy Tomato Basil & Sausage SoupThursday: Breakfast for DinnerFriday: Christmas Eve at my sister’s house – I’m [...]

[...] Mother’s Day – taking mom and grandma outMonday: Creamy Tomato Basil Sausage SoupTuesday: Grilled Pork and VeggiesWednesday: ShaksoukaThursday: Late ClassFriday: Sunshine chicken [...]

[...] Creamy Tomato Basil Sausage SoupMonday: Grilled pork chops w/ riceTuesday: Chicken w/ Tomatos and GarlicWednesday: Southwestern Egg [...]

[...] spanish riceMonday: Shrimp & Pasta in Garlic-Lime SauceTuesday: Breakfast for dinnerWednesday: Creamy Tomato Basil & Italian Sausage SoupThursday: LeftoversFriday: LeftoversSaturday: Out for sister’s birthday Rate this:Like [...]

Patti says:

This was fabulous! So easy and so delicious, thank you.

[...] recipe for creamy tortellini soup (and I still plan to) when I came across this recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Sausage Soup.  That’s when I had the brilliant (in my opinion) idea to combine the two recipes into one [...]

Jessa says:

I used this recipe, but since I can never just leave a recipe “as is” I used pesto marinara instead of traditional, added chopped zucchini, red onions, and cherry tomatoes. Super delicious! Thanks for the base recipe!

pixie508 says:

I’ve been making this for awhile now… I like to throw in some rice. It means it takes a little longer, but it adds a little heartiness!

Lacey says:

Made this for dinner last night along with some fancy grilled cheese sandwiches. This recipe was FANTASTIC!! Even my skeptical husband LOVED it. Fabulous!

ročne ure says:

Čudovite urice Mini watch v naši online trgovini Time In Trend. Poglej si modno kolekcijo danes.

Marie says:

Made last night! Perfect quick dinner (& leftover lunch)

[…] Creamy Tomato Basil and Italian Sausage Soup from Picky Palette was quick and simple. I used my own marinara sauce as a […]

Although, I still think a little elbow grease and a soft bristle tooth brush
    is the best way too get your wheels looking their best, especially
    if yoou have a set of wire wheels. To make your wax job lasxt longer you might want to use a product
    that is specifically designed for washing your
    car. Tyres with low pressure can lessen fuel efficiency and also can easily begin reaking down.

Related says:

I simply including the useful info you actually source to your reports Related. I’ll save your blog post and examine all over again listed here usually. We’re marginally ‘ might be explained to several fresh products below! All the best ! for the next!