Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Jun
2009

Birthday Boy Peanut Butter Hidden Chocolate Cupcakes

Tags: ,

Desserts

I can hardly believe my baby turned 4 this week! He is such a little sweetheart. For his birthday I took him and his brother to Disneyland, they had so much fun despite the crazy crowds. Since we have annual passes, Brady was given a $60.00 gift card courtesy of Disney to buy anything he wanted. He had so much fun picking out all of his birthday gifts! Older brother is already counting down the days that he gets to do the same.

Birthday night I made these killer cupcakes with a surprise center that will not disappoint! Peanut buttery delicious to say the least! Take a peek and enjoy, they are oh so bad, but oh so good!

Birthday Boy Peanut Butter Hidden Chocolate Cupcakes

1 devils food cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 Cup water
1/2 Cup canola oil
8 oz sour cream
1 small package chocolate pudding mix (4 serving size)

2 Cups creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar

8 oz softened cream cheese
1 stick softened butter
3 Cups powdered sugar

white non perils for top

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand mixer, mix cake mix, eggs, water, oil, sour cream and pudding mix on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into paper lined cupcake cups 3/4 way full. In a mixing bowl mix peanut butter and powdered sugar until well combined. Form 1/2 inch balls and press into each filled cupcake. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean from center. Let cool completely.

2. Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy and well combined. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until well combined. Spread over cooled cupcakes then sprinkle with non-perils if desired.

24 cupcakes

_________________________
Birthday Pictures

Have a wonderful rest of the week. See you all soon with more good eatin!

Comments

big_mummy says:

these look great!!! my little boy is 4 next month and will love these… i was looking for a cake recipe i could do that i wouldnt stuff my face with too, since im not keen on peanut butter- the diet gets to continue another day! yay

Barbara Bakes says:

Such a beautiful family! I love that you don't feel you need to make everything from scratch. Look yummy!

Denise says:

My youngest will be turning 4 in September. I cant believe it. These look killer. I have to print it out. Chocolate and PB are perfect together

oneordinaryday says:

My baby girl just turned 5. Where does the time go??
    I love the pb in the center of your cupcakes. I'm gonna have to try that.

Patsyk says:

Happy Birthday to you little guy! I love cupcakes that have a surprise inside! YUM!

RecipeGirl says:

Those look like quite yummy bday treats. How lucky you are that you guys live so close to Disney. It seems like you go there all of the time! Are the boys happy to be in SoCal with all of these fun things to do??

Happy bday to your little one! Love those candles!!

Leslie says:

I love the peanut butter in the middle. What a yummy treat!
    Happy Birthday to your little one

cecilia says:

these look so yummy!
    would love to know where you found those cupcake wrappers, they are geat!
    thanks!

Kalyn says:

Love the birthday boy photos!

Lisa says:

Love the birthday pictures! I am bookmarking these because my son would also like these cupcakes.

HoneyB says:

These are gorgeous cupcakes!!!! Looks like fun and enjoyment eating them was had by more than the birthday boy!

cookies and cups says:

They look delicious! Love the cute sprinkles!

Katrina says:

Yum!
    Happy Birthday to your big 4 year old!

Sara says:

Oh my, these look SO good! I can't wait to make them. Glad you're little guy had a good birthday.

Jessie says:

happy birthday to your little guy! Those cupcakes look so yummy and perfect for a birthday celebration.

Hillary says:

How did you get the peanut butter so perfectly in the middle? They came out great – happy birthday to your son!

Kerstin says:

Happy Birthday to your little cutie! LOVE the PB inside the cupcakes, they look so good!

Gera @ SweetsFoods says:

Happy Birthday to your little guy!! and I want these PB chocolate cupcakes for my birthday too :)

Cheers!

Gera

Risa says:

These sound fantastic. Happy Birthday to your little boy! Disney sounds wonderful.

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Happy Birthday to your little one:) Those cupcakes look fabulous! The combination of chocolate and peanut butter is one of my favorites.

the cummard family says:

where did you get those cupcake liners (over-sized sacrament cups)? the cupcakes look so cute in them! pcummard@msn.com

Melbourne jobs says:

wow… Happy birthday..

Birthday Gifts says:

So cute Family. The cup cakes also look yummy

Jane says:

Can any one tell me from where i can get that cake recipe. I want to give it to my son as a bithday gift this year.

Kara says:

What a cute little birthday boy!

I just tried a similar cookie recipe and it was fabulous, so I'm sure these would be too. Especially with the cream cheese frosting. Yum!

Claire says:

These look so yummy…like a reese's cupcake! Happy birthday to the boy!

We Are Not Martha says:

Aww he's so happy and adorable!! These look awesome. I'm crazy about anything peanut butter and I love how it's hidden :)

Sues

CookiePie says:

Beautiful cupcakes, and happy birthday to your little boy!

Bridgett says:

Aw, your boys are darling! I bet he had an absolute blast on his birthday. Wow, these cupcakes look delicious. I want someone to make these for my birthday!

Zesty Cook says:

HOLY WOW! These look amazing. Great family shots :)

Lynda says:

These are addictive looking cupcakes… my daughter will love these
    My babies are all in their 20's now-as they say, "time flies"!
    Happy birthday to your cute son!

Kristen says:

My guy turns 5 next month, I bet he would love these

bridezillabakes says:

Love that PB surprise in the middle! And you sure do have some cuties!

Jennifer says:

Jenny these look amazing!!!!! I am going to steal this idea for hubby ;)

Jen says:

Your cupcake looks glorious! And I love the surprise center =) …Happy birthday to your little boy!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Happy belated b'day to the little one and to the cool mom! Love the pictures of them eating the cupcakes, and the cupcakes itself too of course!!!

Barbara says:

Happy Birthday to your 4 year old. I'm going to print this recipe for Father's Day and my baby's 30th birthday – same day.

The Japanese Redneck says:

Looks and sounds good. Like those candles you put on his cupcake. You have a cute son. Know he had a good Bday!

Ramona

VintageMixer says:

these look amazing! I will have to try them even though I'm not a big cupcake fan. Did you get the sprinkles from Williams Sonoma?

[...] Cupcakes. Three of my favorite things together at last! My good friend Amanda found this recipe at picky-palate.com and I had to share. It looks so [...]

Tamara says:

Can you use either instant or non-instant pudding?

Leslie says:

Can you tell me where you found those cupcake liners? I’ve looked all over the place and cannot find them?

Michelle says:

A perfect combo is chocolate and peanut butter!

Kathy says:

I just recently found your website and I love it!

I would like to make your chocolate PB cupcakes. I’m wondering where you get the liners for them. What size are they?

Kelly Kurcina says:

Hi, I recently discovered your blog and love it!
    I want to make the birthday boy cupcakes for my husbands birthday on valentine’s day and was hoping I could use an all natural chocolate cake mix. Do you think that would work? (was not sure if the ounces were the same)
    Thanks!

senzascusa says:

These are real good, though next time I’m going to pour in 1/3 full of batter, then add the PB ball and then fill with more batter. I put the balls on the top, but my batter was thick and they just didn’t push down in easily, so they are sitting on top and it isn’t quite as fun and yummy that way. Plus, the PB comes off the top easily! Also, I’m living in England at the moment and can you believe they don’t HAVE chocolate pudding mix here! So I had to make my own! Worked fine though!

Hey very nice site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds also?I’m happy to search out so many helpful information here within the put up, we’d like work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

dating says:

I just could not leave your web site before suggesting that I really enjoyed the usual information a person supply in your visitors? Is gonna be back ceaselessly to check out new posts

My brother suggested I may like this web site. He was entirely right. This put up actually made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!