Aug
2009

Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookie Crispers and General Mills Trip Re-cap!

Cookies

IMG_3704picnik

You all are going to think I’m nuts, but hear me out on this one…  I thought it would be fun to try adding Panko bread crumbs in my chocolate chip cookies the other day and let me tell you, it makes for a fun crisp in your cookie!  I was pleasantly surprised and my oldest son said it was one of his favorite cookies.  The crispiness of the Panko is subtle, but still has you thinking, “hmmm what is that crisp?”  Before you start booing me, give it a try, I think you’ll like it, we totally did!

____________________________________

Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookie Crispers

2 sticks softened butter

3/4 Cup granulated sugar

3/4 Cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 Tablespoon pure vanilla exract

2  1/2 Cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 Cups Panko (Japanese Bread Crumbs), Yes I am serious

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 bag chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place butter and sugars into electric or stand mixer and beat until well combined.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined.

2.  Place flour, panko, baking soda and salt into a large bowl.  Mix to combine.  Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips on low speed until just combined.  Scoop onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet with a medium cookie scoop.   Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges just start to turn brown.  Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transfering to a cooling rack.

approx 3 dozen cookies

________________________________________________

GENERAL MILLS EAT AND GREET RE-CAP

3872129196_24ea0dbda1_o

What an honor it was to be invited to the General Mills Bloggers event last Wednesday/Thursday in MN!  There were 50 foodie and mommy savin’ bloggers from all over the country that gathered together for 2 fun filled days at the General Mills Headquarters.

IMG_0283picnic

Bakerella and Picky Palate

I was thrilled to meet the famous “Bakerella” who I’ve been a fan since she started.  She is as beautiful and sweet as her blog, that’s for sure!

jenang2picnik

The following pictures are some of the highlights of my trip, hope you enjoy!

Picnikcollage2

Wednesday night we met for dinner and a museum tour of the Mill City Museum in beautiful downtown MN.  There were great flour mill history tours and facinating exhibits with gorgeous views from on top of the building.

Picnik collage3.jpeg

More museum photos

3871355149_3813a581e8_o

Bakerella and I snapping pics with the Pancakes!

3871352293_6336b45982_o

Thursday morning we had our bags packed and met at the General Mills facility for breakfast.

Picnik collage5

As you walk down their halls they had beautiful displays of their products throughout the years.

Picnik collage6

It was also so much fun to meet the beautiful Megan of Megan’s Munchies who is adorable and has a fabulous blog.

For breakfast we had beautiful fruit, muffins and a medley of quiche.

Picnik collage7

Some shots right before we headed into the Betty Crocker Kitchens.  Talk about every foodies’ dream!

IMG_0348picnik

The test kitchens were so beautiful

Picnik collage8

After breakfast we were let loose into the test kitchens where they had dozens of vendors sampling new General Mills products.  We all ate until we were busting at the seams!  It was really fun.

Picnik collage9

Had to get some pics with the Trix bunny and Lucky Charms Leprechaun!  They also had this Coupon Vault with hundreds of Box Top coupons inside.  I had a dress on, so it was  a bit difficult trying to hold my dress down and grab coupons!  I did pretty well though!

Picnik collage10

More fun samples

angjenmeg

Bakerella, Me and Megan with half of bunny and leprechaun, bunny was giving me bunny ears!

Picnik collage13

Got to snap some pics with Aida Mollenkamp from Food Network’s “Ask Aida”  She is so tall and beautiful.  Hungry Girl was also at the event and was kind enough to let us snap pics with her.

Picnik collage12

The highlight of the trip was by far getting to tour the General Mills photography studios.  It was amazing.  Down their halls they had beautiful artwork made from Gen Mills products.  My favorite was the top right picture.  Guess what the bag is made out of?…..Fruit Roll Ups!  Isn’t that awesome!  We got to chat with the photographers at lunch and pick their brains a little.  It really was an awesome opportunity and we had such a great time.  THANKS GENERAL MILLS!!

__________________________________________

Sorry for the novel post today, but thought it would be fun to share my trip.  Have a great week!!  See you all soon!

Comments

Train Mommy says:

Looks like an amazing time! Congrats on getting to go!!

Denise says:

Looks like a great time!!!

Molly says:

Wow, Jenny! Your trip looked amazing! I think the cookies sound great, too. My mom makes potato chip cookies, and you can’t taste the chips, they just give it a light and airy crunch.
    PS- I gave you a little shout out on my post today! :)

First of all the your cookies sound strange and great all at the same time! I love a little crisp ~ fun idea! Second, how fun the General Mills Trip sounds! You girls all look super cute and it looks like a great place!

Marian says:

Panko breadcrumbs in chocolate chip cookies; I’ll have to try it!
    Glad I found your blog through Bakerella… looks like such an interesting trip! I’m in envy of the General Mills stock shelves and photography studio!
    Thanks for sharing. =)

Sara says:

Panko breadcrumbs? Hmmm, sounds interesting, but looks delicious. :) The pictures look like you had to much fun. Wow, Aida is tall!

Melody says:

What a fun trip! Those chocolate chip cookies look delicious! You’ve got me curious about the panko! Cool idea.

Pam Shank says:

what a wonderful experience. I’m sure you picked up a lot of great tips and got some wonderful inspirations. thanks for sharing. of course the cookies lot mouth watering too!

Pam says:

So I’m thinking great foodie bloggers have to be blond. lol The cookies definitely sound worth a try… we LOVE Panko around here…of course I’ll have to make sure I don’t grab the Italian seasoned ones. I always send my experiments to my hubby’s office…this could be fun.

What a fun opportunity. Congratulations!

How fun! Thanks for sharing all of your photos! Love the secret ingredient too!

So cool that you got to meet Bakerella! I absolutely love her blog! And thanks for the CC cookie recipe. I am always looking for new cookie recipes to try.

Tanya says:

These cookies look superb! Love the secret ingredient, and looks like you had a great trip. Food and travel go so well together :)

Alyssa says:

Hi Jenny,

I just came across your blog and I wanted to tell you that I absolutely adore it. I just printed about six recipes that I’ll be cookin’ up sometime soon.
    Looking forward to future recipes!

you guys are all amazing…….inspirational………and fabulous………………

patsyk says:

What a fabulous trip! I am intrigued by the addition of panko bread crumbs to cookies now… gonna have to try this one out!

Ramona says:

That’s a new twist using the Panko.

Both of ya’ll are beautiful. Looks like a lot of fun.

Ramona

What a clever twist on an old favorite! I’m going to have to put that on my list of must-try ingredients! Thanks!

I’m so jealous of your general mills extravaganza! It looks like you had a lot of fun :)
    And those cookies are going on my list to bake. Thanks to your blog, my list is now a BOOK! ( And I couldn’t be happier!)
    Happy Baking,
    Mini Baker

Anna says:

I somehow missed Aida.

Jamie says:

Jenny,
    What a fantastic trip and experience. Thanks for sharing it with us. And the panko crumbs in a cookie…now that’s a different idea.

michelle says:

How amazing! That’s so great you got to experience that and are amongst the “famous bloggers”! Congrats. And the cookies look GREAT!

Mandy says:

I am SO JEALOUS that you met so many of my favorite foodies in person. I’d love to meet Angie–and actually meet you in person, too!:) I just got home from their Table Talk event–we were cooking in the test kitchens today but I was the only food blogger there! The girls in my little group were nice but no one else was cooking! I think they need to bring you, Angie, and I back, give us a list of ingredients, and just let us go wild! Wouldn’t that be awesome??!:)

Beth M says:

Found your blog through Bakerella and loved your photos of the General Mills tour. Also had to try your Panko cookie recipe last night. The panko does give the cookie an interesting crunch. Thanks for the idea.

so your trip seems AMAZING!!! I have to ask where are you located?? LOVE YOUR BLOG! Just discovered it and wish I had sooner!

Oh Picky Palate, where have you been all my life?! I feel that I have deprived my wonderful family of insanely delicious food, because I had no idea you existed!! ;-)

I am making it my mission this next week to make one of your recipes daily!! I have no doubt my family will Thank you!

What a great post! I love the pictures.
    It was so great to meet you and I can’t wait to be a new stalker (I mean fan) of your site!

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Looks like you had a great time:)

[...] Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookie Crispers [...]

That trip sounds like SO MUCH FUN!!! I have my fingers (and toes) crossed that someday, I’ll get to go, too! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

shelley says:

hi there, i found you from the bakarella’s blog, looks like you guys had a wonderful trip to gm! lucky girls! loved looking at your photo’s.. and the chocolate chip cookies yum LOVE them!
    smiles,
    shelley

Allison says:

Tried the cookies today and had to leave a comment–fun! They have just enough crunch! :) Thanks for the fun idea! And, I loved the pictures of your adventures!

[...] eat delicious chocolate chip crispers with just two brothers. I found today’s recipe over at Picky Palate, this is one I have been following for awhile, just does nice work!….today we tried [...]

LaPink says:

I just took part in a search for finding the best chocolate chip cookie recipe and I thought you would like to know your cookies came in a close second place!! I never would have used breadcrumbs in cookies, but this secret ingredient did the trick.. these crispers are delectable!! Congrats on an award winning recipe-(P.S. these are best on the first day!!

[...] http://picky-palate.com/2009/08/31/chocolate-chip-cookie-crispers-and-general-mills-trip-re-cap/#com… Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Brownie TastingA Star was BornFriday Feast: Chocolate Chip Cookies with a Twist [...]

I find a excellent improvement in your publishing, I would like to have in touch. Maintain the wonderful do the job! Your writing is extremely motivational for someone who is a new comer to this type of information.

Liz says:

Hi darling how many cups or how heavy is 1 bag of chocolate chip cookies? =D Can’t wait to try this out!

Thanks for such a wonderful post and the examine, I’m totally impressed! Maintain stuff like this coming.

We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your site provided us with helpful info to work on. You’ve done an impressive process and our entire group will likely be grateful to you.