Sep
2009

The Motherlode Layered Cookie Bars!

Tags: , ,

Cookies

IMG_4124picnik.jpeg

Good Thursday folks!

I know this cookie should absolutely be illegal, but let me tell you it is so much fun!  Just imagine all of your favorite cookies layered into one bar of fabulousness!  Now, don’t go and eat this on a regular basis, but do bring it to your next party or gathering and watch them disappear!

At first glance it may look like a lot to prepare, but each cookie dough can be made in under 10 minutes, so don’t be turned off by the steps below.  I like to make the cookie dough in advance and have it in the refrigerator ready to go.

See the picture below for all the incredible cookie layers.  The pictures speak for themselves, so I can leave now!  Enjoy.

IMG_4122picnik.jpeg

IMG_4138picnik.jpeg

IMG_4169picnik.jpeg

The Mother Load Layered Cookie Bars

Layer 1: Sugar Cookie

1 Roll of Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Press sugar cookie dough into bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish that’s been lined foil and sprayed with cooking spray.

Layer 2: Double Chocolate Chip Cookie

(the recipe below makes double what you’ll need for the bars, use extra for cookies)

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder)
2 tsps. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs and vanilla until well combined.

2. In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to wet ingredients then stir in chips. Layer 1/2 the recipe over sugar cookie layer, pressing gently.

Layer 3: Peanut Butter Cookie

1 Cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 Cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1.  Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined.  Press over chocolate cookie dough.

Layer 4:  Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 sticks softened butter

3/4 Cup granulated sugar

3/4 Cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 Tablespoon pure vanilla

2 1/2 Cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 bag chocolate chips

1.  Make sure oven is preheated to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer cream the butter and sugars until well combined.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.  Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bolw; mix to combine.  Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips.  Spoon 1/2 of the dough evenly over peanut butter cookie dough but don’t press, just leave uneven.  Bake for 35-45 minutes or until center of dough is cooked mostly through.  Edges will be brown.  I covered pan with foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.

2.  Let cookies cool completely.  Lift out of pan with edges of foil.  I cut off 1/2 inch edges and just used softer centers, but do as you wish.  Edges are crispier.  Drizzle top with 1/2 Cup melted chocolate chips if desired.

*Note:  You can layer dough and refrigerate until ready to bake.  This is what I did and it worked very nicely.

8 large bars (if you cut off edges), 12 bars (if you keep edges)

Comments

OMG!!!! Another recipe I need to try NOW. Hopefully, this weekend!

so good!! you could even make this with all pre-made dough if you’re in a pinch! That loos outrageous!

VeggieGirl says:

HOLY….

**Drools**

Molly says:

The Queen of Cookies has out done herself! Way to go, Jenny. Sometime I wish that I lived in CA so I could be your guinea pig! Emphasis on pig :)
    -Molly

Dorothy says:

Oh. My. Goodness. Those look fantastic! I attempted something similar, but with mixed results because of my softer brownie and cheesecake layers. The cookie dough idea is fabulous :) Might have to give it a try.

Courtney says:

Lurker here….but had to come out of Lurkerville to comment. One word WOW!!!! I can not wait to make these. You are SUCH a good writer and cook. I really enjoy your site.
    Thanks!
    Courtney

Kara says:

Wow, you have outdone yourself with this one Jenny! I can’t even look at them without feeling guilty. ;)

Krystle says:

Oh my! Are you kidding…these look amazing! I love the idea of combining them all together!

Ummm…. ok. ummm…. wow.

Oh my those are rich! Love the layers!

These look delicious and absolutely sinful! Can’t wait to try.

Kimm Geria says:

All I can is Oh My…. Gotta try this one.

Monica says:

I totally agree…these should be illegal. Can’t wait to try them, though!

Pat says:

You are incredible! Looks WILDLY delicious.

Crystal says:

Those look like they would put 2 lbs on for one bite!!! I can’t wait to make one!

Shay says:

Oh man! WHy do I stumble upon the most decadent looking things while pregnant. The I end up loving them and NEEDING/craving them later on! Thanks a Lot! (but I really mean do mean it, thanks!)

Patti says:

So unfair. Totally, absolutely, definitely unfair. My diet has no chance at all, looking at something like this!

Ramona says:

Put me in a sugar coma. They look good.

Ramona

Dede says:

Hi,

I am totally in love with this webpage…I have printed out about 50 recipes so far and can’t wait to start baking. I do have a question in regards to “Mother Load Layered Cookie Bars” What do you mean by “Only Make 1/2 of this recipe” for layer 2 & layer 4? Do you mean to cut the recipe in half e.g if it calls for two sticks of butter then use only one? Or do you mean after combining all ingredients to use only half of that? I’d hate to mess up such a fantastic dessert.

Hi Dede,
      Thanks for visiting and hope you enjoy the recipes!!

Yes, if it calls for 2 sticks of butter, just use 1 etc. You can make the whole recipe if you’d like and just use half of it if you’d like too. The leftovers make great cookies. Hope you enjoy!!

Oh my goodness! Those look like my idea of cookie heaven!

Mandy Bird says:

Are you kidding me? This looks incredible! I have got to make this!

Donna H. says:

I am fairly new to your site, and I have only one thing to say. You are a baaaad woman!!!!! These should be illegal-they look way too good!! I’ll definitely be making these soon.

WOW! What a fantastic idea… keeps the kids from arguing about what kind of cookies to make and the finished product looks so cool. Will definitely try these! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jessie says:

that looks lethal yet so good! I think will take the risk and have one or two of those :)

Josh says:

your recipe left out the temperature to bake the marvelous creation at. I am guessing somewhere around 350°F?

Jemma says:

Hey josh- she DID say what temp to cook it at, after the choco chip recipe, and yes it is 350F. Great guesstamite!

These look scrumptious! My 4 year old just walked back and said Ohhhh Can you make that?!?! So, on the menu it will go!

Carrie says:

OMG I am going to have to try this recipe!!!! It looks AWESOME!! Now off to peek at your other recipes!! :-)

meagan says:

I am actualy going to make these this weekend for my son’s birthday, with one small exception. I am going to make the full recipies for the cookie doughs and just make cookies too, no use in fighting it I am going to bake them anyhow so I may as well do it while making these bars! Great recepie looks fantastic!

meagan says:

Josh,

Yes it’s 350, it’s hidden in with the first couple of lines of the recepie and then snuck in again right after the chocolate chip cookie dough ingredients. I am off to do a “test run” of these! (After all what kind of mother would I be if I didnt “test” them and make sure they are perfect for my son’s party LOLOLOLOLOL)

Louise says:

Hi Jenny,
    Just rediscovered your scrumptious site. I was here a while back for “A Popcorn Ball That Would Smell So Sweet…”

Those cookie bars look oh so decadent and fairly easy for a non baker such as myself. Thank you so much for sharing. Bookmarked! I’ve also added you to my search engine!!!

Becky says:

You are brilliant!! ….and evil!!

Katie says:

Quick Question?!- What does “Only make 1/2 of thie recipe” mean? I’m going to have to make this!!!

My thighs hate you…I love you, though. These must be incredible!

Cibaria Oils says:

OH MY!!!! These things look incredible! I will now be on a mission to make these asap. Thanks for sharing!

CookiePie says:

Those are insane!!!!! I am drooling. I want one with a big glass of milk, please!!!

oh…my…goodness…..I’m on it!!

Kim says:

That looks amazing and I am pregnant. Guess what tonights activity with the kids will be!

Katie says:

Ok, really, how are you ever gonna top this??!!!!!! I thought the peanut butter cup cake was the answer to my prayers…but this cookie….OMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Katrina says:

Wow! What a great idea!

Sara says:

WHOA! They sound sinful but look oh so good. I love how perfect all the layers are.

Becki D says:

Holy moley, yer killin’ me, Smalls!!

I’m still busy drooling over the pumpkin spice cheesecake you posted the other day, and now you come up with this?? I’m going to gain 10 pounds in a week! hehehe

Alisha J says:

a friend twittered this page tonight as I was getting ready to make something for our staff meeting tomorrow, so I tried it. Nice thing is, it looks complicated but it’s made with stuff any one would already have around the house. It’s in the fridge ready to be popped in the oven in the morning – can’t wait to see how it tastes. Oh, and the extra dough is in the freeze for when I need a quick dessert! Thanks for the inspiration tonight.

No kidding, those do look like the mother load!

Are they time consuming to make?

They look sinful!

Julia says:

Multi-Tasking Mommy,

Jenny said that it takes 10 min. to make each dough, then cook for 35-45 min., so around 80 min. altogether.

Sarah says:

I made these last night and they were amazing!!! I love your recipes. :)

Nutmeg Nanny says:

Awww man those should be illegal! They look amazing. I can’t wait to try them!

That may be the best dessert I’ve ever seen! I love love love cookies. What could get better than this??

I just finish making these and WOW they are time consuming. You are definitely right about making the dough ahead of time! But they are DELICIOUS. Totally worth it. I’ll be pointing to you on my blog again. :)

sir jorge says:

that is most certainly the greatest thing i’ve seen in a long time, and it’s a testament to good dessert