Sep
2009

The Motherlode Layered Cookie Bars!

Tags: , ,

Cookies

IMG_4124picnik.jpeg

Good Thursday folks!

I know this cookie should absolutely be illegal, but let me tell you it is so much fun!  Just imagine all of your favorite cookies layered into one bar of fabulousness!  Now, don’t go and eat this on a regular basis, but do bring it to your next party or gathering and watch them disappear!

At first glance it may look like a lot to prepare, but each cookie dough can be made in under 10 minutes, so don’t be turned off by the steps below.  I like to make the cookie dough in advance and have it in the refrigerator ready to go.

See the picture below for all the incredible cookie layers.  The pictures speak for themselves, so I can leave now!  Enjoy.

IMG_4122picnik.jpeg

IMG_4138picnik.jpeg

IMG_4169picnik.jpeg

The Mother Load Layered Cookie Bars

Layer 1: Sugar Cookie

1 Roll of Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Press sugar cookie dough into bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish that’s been lined foil and sprayed with cooking spray.

Layer 2: Double Chocolate Chip Cookie

(the recipe below makes double what you’ll need for the bars, use extra for cookies)

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder)
2 tsps. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Slowly add eggs and vanilla until well combined.

2. In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Slowly add to wet ingredients then stir in chips. Layer 1/2 the recipe over sugar cookie layer, pressing gently.

Layer 3: Peanut Butter Cookie

1 Cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 Cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1.  Place all ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined.  Press over chocolate cookie dough.

Layer 4:  Chocolate Chip Cookie

2 sticks softened butter

3/4 Cup granulated sugar

3/4 Cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 Tablespoon pure vanilla

2 1/2 Cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 bag chocolate chips

1.  Make sure oven is preheated to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer cream the butter and sugars until well combined.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.  Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bolw; mix to combine.  Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips.  Spoon 1/2 of the dough evenly over peanut butter cookie dough but don’t press, just leave uneven.  Bake for 35-45 minutes or until center of dough is cooked mostly through.  Edges will be brown.  I covered pan with foil during the last 15 minutes of baking.

2.  Let cookies cool completely.  Lift out of pan with edges of foil.  I cut off 1/2 inch edges and just used softer centers, but do as you wish.  Edges are crispier.  Drizzle top with 1/2 Cup melted chocolate chips if desired.

*Note:  You can layer dough and refrigerate until ready to bake.  This is what I did and it worked very nicely.

8 large bars (if you cut off edges), 12 bars (if you keep edges)

Comments

JP says:

Phenomenal recipe. Maybe of help to someone: to make it easier to evenly pat each dough layer over the previous layer, I put the pan in the freezer while I made the next batch of dough. That made the layers in the pan slightly firmer, so they didn’t squish around when I put on the next layers. I moistened my hands to keep the dough from sticking to my hands (otherwise I’d have licked half of each dough recipe off of my hands!). Oh, and I didn’t read the part about lining the pan with foil, but the cookies came out beautifully anyway. I cut them much smaller, they’re just so rich!

Cindy & Barbara says:

Last weekend my daugher (a freshman in college) emailed me this recipe and said “Mom we Have to Make this!” It’s cooking now….We had loads of laughs! Only 12 bars ??? OMG !!! Thanks for the FUN!

[...] I decided to use StumbleUpon as a temporary time-killer between studying and happened on these superifically unbelievable mouth-watering beauties. Too awesome, I tell you.  Remember in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory—-how Willy Wonka [...]

[...] the recipe, you should all make them because they are to die for good. Yes since they are four layers its [...]

Brian C. says:

So….my first batch of these will be coming out of the oven in approx 7 mins. I’m so excited!
    I seem to have misplaced the beaters for my mixer, so I did the whole thing by hand…tried to convince myself the extra work would pay off…hmmm, next time they’ll be just fine with the mixer.LOL
    Awesome recipe and site!
    Brian

[...] intend to write a cooking/baking blog, but for today we will make believe. I’ve wanted to make these cookies for a while. I kept planning to make them when I’d see a bunch of people, but I finally decided [...]

Lori Falce says:

These are the best sounding things I’ve ever encountered in my life.

I am making a gross ton of them ASAP.

bev says:

OMG,UNBELIEVABLE,I MELTED AND GOT A SUGAR RUSH AFTER ALITTLE PIECE, DEFINATELY AWY TO A MANS HEART!

Jen says:

I made these for my annual cookie exchange and they are extremely time consuming. They tasted great, were a huge hit, and not hard, but VERY time consuming. Mine baked more like 50-60 minutes, and I made 2 pans, so all in all it was about a 4-5 hour process. Thanks for the recipe though, everyone was impressed ;)

Nate says:

White chocolate chips in the double chocolate give the bars more color contrast, and holy wow these are good! thanks.

[...] this, Kevin declared, “I know what I want for my birthday next year!!!” :) I got this recipe from Jenny from Picky Palate- she says to bring these to “your next party or gathering and watch them disappear!” [...]

Found you from Kevin and Amanda… WOW’ I HAD A HEART ATTACK AT 30 just reading this! HA HA! Seriously contemplating heading to the store to get chocolate chips… I am going to a COOKIE EXCHANGE PARTY TOMORROW night… these would be PERFECT!

Heather says:

That is so not right. Holy cow those look so good. I’m running through my inventory in my head to see if I have enough stuff to make them. WOW!!

[...] Palate – She had me at The Motherlode Layered Cookie Bar. I just sit and drool.  If I could cook like she does, I’d never leave my kitchen. I [...]

Carri says:

This cookie bars are delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Boomie says:

Well, i saw the pictures, and thats what i call a cookie

Boomie says:

Well, i saw the pictures, and thats what i call a cookie

Boomie says:

Well, i saw the pictures, and thats what i call a cookie

Sook says:

I’m so tempted to make some of these! Yum!

[...] to a party without the possibility of a tiny bit of play. It just seems wrong. I’m bringing The Motherlode bars with me so I’m sure I’ll be the light of the [...]

Sherry says:

OMG… yummy can’t wait to try these Can you use parchment to line the pan?

Tricia says:

Oh.my.goodness.
    Yeah, I just gained 5 lbs. looking at these cookies! ;)
    I’m including a link in my Inspire My Saturday post today.
    Yummy! Thanks so much for sharing!

[...] sinful Motherload Cookie Bars courtesy of Lick the Bowl Good and Confessions of a Bake-a-holic via Picky Palate. Photo via Lick the Bowl [...]

joyloud says:

I can’t wait to try it.

I normally don’t commonly send on a lot of Blogs, yet I just has to say thank you… hold up the awesome work. Ok regrettably its time to acquire to school.

[...] The Motherlode Layered Cookie Bars! | Picky Palate Blech to the step that says to use store-bought cookie dough, but it would be easy enough to do that step from scratch. Maybe make these to make amends for the black bean brownies if those don't go over so well. (tags: recipe dessert cookies bars) [...]

Lisa says:

Instead of the sugar cookie as the first layer, would it be alright to use a shortbread cookie layer instead?

[...] The Mother Load Layered Cookie Bars [...]

Lisa says:

I made these today in a 9×13 pan, but my peanut butter layer came out very thin. Once baked, I couldn’t see it very well either. I used chunky peanut butter instead of creamy. Should that make a difference? Also, the chocolate chip cookie layer on top seemed to take a really long time to bake through. The bars tasted good though, like a brownie in between cookie layers. I’d like to make them again in the future, but want to know if you have any suggestions for fixing my problems so that they can come out like yours did.

Lisa says:

Just wanted to let you know. I took a batch of these to my singles ward’s Cookies and Conversation activity. People loved them. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe. It’s a keeper!

Faye says:

How many calories does this have? It looks so Good!

Jennifer says:

These look soooooo good! I’m very tempted to try them. But is there something I can replace the Peanut butter layer with? My hubby’s alergic to nuts.

Jenny, if you want the complete nutrient analysis of this recipe, just ask!!! Janice and I have the software and would be happy to crunch the numbers (if you dare to know)!

Julia says:

OH EM GEE!! Yum! Thanks for the idea, Jenny!

Julia says:

Oh my gosh these look so GOOD! Definitely a project for a rainy day!

Slarti Bartfast says:

Lots of Fat and Sugar… mmmmmmmm.
    That’s the American diet!

Gatsby says:

AMAZING

peanut butter is such a great addition
    along with ice cream cone cupcakes this is the best recipe I’ve seen today!!

Yummy says:

I stumbled on this and immediately started to drool. These look great. Thnx for sharing.

Holy Goodness! These things look absolutely decadent! I printed the recipe and plan to try them very soon!! Thanks for sharing :)

Krista says:

I tried these, but I used my own recipes for each of the layers. These were great… but mine didn’t turn out with layers as distinct as these.

I SO HUNGRY says:

Wow that look soooo delicious thank you for sharing…

Kelly says:

can i ask what white flour is? i’ve never heard to anything referred to as white sugar…nor has anyone i’ve asked. I’m going to assume it’s confectioners sugar, either way i don’t think it will make a HUGE difference. I hope mine turn out as good as those look :D

Kelly says:

oops i meant WHITE SUGAR in that first sentence.

Wow these brownies look amazing!! I am going to bake them for my kids Wednesday night. I will let you know how they turn out.

These look so delicious – I wish I had one right now!

[...] Motherload layered cookie bars [...]

sandy hillis says:

Am I reading this right–there isn’t any flour in the peanut butter layer? This sounds like such a great recipe that I can almost taste it.

Crystal says:

DROOLING….I am making these tomorrow and then going to mail them to my family

Jennifer says:

I made these for the first time today. I haven’t tried them yet but they look phenominal! I didn’t have enough chocolate chips left for the drizzle on top but I did have some peanut butter chips in my fridge so I melted the two together. I sure hope they taste as good as they look!