Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Guest Post by Zesty Cook!

Tags: , , , ,

Breakfast and Brunch

Hey Picky-Palate readers!  I am zesty from and am very excited to be guesting posting today on Jenny’s blog.

I was tossing around the idea of what to feature here today and I was going back and forth between a pasta dish and a breakfast pancake that I truly love.  I opted for the breakfast pancake so I really hope you like it.

This pancake is a little different form the standard pancake from a box but it still very easy to whip up yourself in no time at all.  The key features I feel in this recipe is the whole wheat flour, oatmeal, nutmeg and apple.  It really gives the pancake a heartiness that matches up well with the maple syrup.

Picnik collage2

Whole Grain Apple Oatmeal Pancakes

1 Cup Oats
1 Cup All Purpose flour
1 Cup Whole-wheat flour
1/2 Cup Shredded Apple ( Peeled )
2 Tbsp. Baking powder
1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 1/2 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Vegetable oil
2 Eggs
1 Tsp. Vanilla
2 Tbsp. Honey

1. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Whisk together the oats, flours, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
3. In a second bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, vanilla, apple and honey.
4. Pour the wet into the dry mixture and stir briefly, just until combined.
5. Add a little tiny bit of oil to the pan before spooning the batter into the skillet.
6. Once bubbles form on the outside of the pancake and do not fill in again  – it is time to flip them over. Let cook on the other side until complete.
7. Flip just once  – plate them up.
8. Enjoy!

Zesty Tip: My biggest tip when cooking pancakes is to ensure you have the griddle, skillet or pan up to the right temperature.  Make sure it is hot enough, because if not the pancakes will absorb the oil and they will taste terrible.

Well there you have it.  Give this a try for your next breakfast and let Jenny and I know what you think of them.  I would be more than grateful if you had never clicked over at before that you had over there now and check it out.

I hope you have a great day and look forward to sharing recipes and photography in the future.

Take care

Thanks for visiting Zesty, your pancakes look delish!

Looks delish! Thank you.

What a great recipe! Love the addition of shredded apples!

Great guest post!

Fallon says:

Those sound excellent. I like the shredded apple in the mix!

Love the idea of adding oats and apples to pancakes – sound delicious!

Heather says:

Getting an error when i try to visit

Oh yum! Those are totally crave worthy! Thanks for the recipe :)

Radha says:

Like the addition of the apples to the pancakes. I’m going to try that! :)

Shea Bates says:

Yea! I actually had whole wheat pancakes on our menu this week, but I think I will try these instead! They sound so much more delish than the recipe I found. Thanks for posting:)

Jay says:

Look fantastic and can’t wait to try.

This reminds of buckwheat pankcakes I used to LOVE so much…. YUM

jeanette says:

Now I am craving pancakes

Dianne says:

Yum! Had these for breakfast… they were great! My husband was pleasantly surprised that they had such a great flavor for being “healthy”. The kids loved them too! Thanks for sharing!

These look awesome! Thanks, Zesty!

Aggie says:

This is my kind of pancake! Seriously, love everything about it….especially the wholesome goodness! Yum and thanks! : )

Stephanie says:

I wasnt even hungary but now Im craving pancakes!!

Nick says:

Excellent recipe! We made them yesterday morning and used all whole-wheat flour and substituted applesauce for the oil, and they turned out awesome! For sure my new favorite pancake recipe…well done zestycook:)

[…] Wednesday: Whole Grain Apple Oatmeal Pancakes […]

Robin says:

These look great! I’m planning on making them for dinner tomorrow. Do you use quick-cooking oats, or the regular ones?

[…] Whole Grain Apple Oatmeal Pancakes – They’re whole grain – therefore they’re good for you. Before you drown […]

You could certainly see your skills in the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. Always follow your heart.

Gregory Aziz says:

Right away I am eady to do my breakfast, later than having my
    brrakfast coming again to read other news.

You will also need to be careful with citrus fruit because they have a lot of
    citric acid in them. The most recent model of the Power Juicer incorporates
    soy technology for making high protein drinks and is called the Elite model.

Manual press juice extractors are quite difficult to operate.