Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Mar
2010

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup!

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

Good Thursday morning!! Still running around with my family visiting.  We have been quite the tourists.  I am loving all the sunsets we are watching.  I can’t stop taking pictures of the gorgeous views at the beach.  You can tell I haven’t lived in CA for very long :)

Can’t wait to share this soup with you today.  Hubby and I took the kids to eat at Chili’s last week and ordered this Green Chili lime soup.  We decided to split it and what a mistake, we ended up fighting over the last bite like our 2 boys would do!   I seriously couldn’t stop thinking about it after we got home.  I know I’m weird, but it was so good that I had to get in the kitchen to re-create it.  Lo and Behold, I did it!  No kidding, it tastes nearly identical to the soup we ordered!  It’s a brothy soup which usually isn’t my favorite, but the cilantro lime accented broth, rice and chicken really leave you feeling very satisfied.

Do yourself a favor… cook up a big pot and find yourself in love :)

Hope you all enjoy, I’m salivating looking at these pics again!

Come join SoupaPalooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored by KitchenAid, Red Star Yeast and Le Creuset

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves fresh or roasted garlic, minced (I used a jar of roasted garlic, it was phenomenal!)

80 oz chicken broth, 2 1/2 cartons of the 32 oz

10 oz can rotel tomatoes, mild

7 oz can diced green chilies

4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts; cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper

2 1/2 Cups cooked rice of choice, I used basmati

1/4 Cup fresh lime juice

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Pinches of Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley to taste

1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped

Fresh diced avocados, drizzled with lime juice

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

Tortilla chips

1.  Place oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat.  Saute onion for 5 minutes then add in garlic; cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken broth, tomtoes, green chilies, chicken breast, rice, lime juice and seasonings.  Cook for 5 minutes; taste and season according to your liking.  Right before serving add chopped cilantro.

2.  Serve soup with fresh diced avocado, shredded cheese and crushed chips if desired.  If you can handle the heat, squeeze some Siracha over top, yum!!

10-12 servings

_____________________________________________

I’ll leave you with more sunset pictures!!  This time from Crystal Cove Beach a couple nights ago.

Have a great weekend!!  See you all soon :)

Comments

I love soup and this sounds so good, I can’t wait to make it! It’s so great to try something and go home and re-create that same thing :)

You and your hubby make such a stunning couple! Your family is just the cutest.

This soup sounds so good – and light, too!!

TIffany says:

I am jumping up & down in my bed right now over this recipe!! I absolutely LOVED the new soup at Chili’s and cannot wait to try this recipe!!

Your Sunset pics have been GORGEOUS!!

Debbi says:

I’m not usually a brothy person either but I will certainly give this a try. It sounds delicious! Thanks!

Molly says:

Oh, Jenny, this is right up my alley! My husband will adore it, too. Going on next week’s menu for sure. Have a great day! :)

Lauren says:

This soup looks and sounds amazing…can’t wait to try the recipe!

Oh yeah…this will be getting made PRONTO! Looks delish!

Meghan says:

This soup looks delicious! I love recreating restaurant food at home; it’s nice to know exactly what goes into it! Great beach pictures :)

Risa says:

I love those little pots!

Beth D. says:

Yum! I have been looking for a good Mexican inspired chicken and rice soup…Will be trying this soon! ;)

Tara says:

Can’t wait to try this :) I am eating a lowfat diet & I get this soup & a small salad when I go to Chili’s. Looking forward to eating this at home now :)

Missy says:

I’m really enjoying our spring weather in TX right now, but this soup has me wishing for a cold front! Will definitely try this, but it may be a while…

Joanna from Colorado says:

That recipe looks great, and the pictures are awesome.
    I love the picture of you and your husband – it’s so cute. :)

Happy Thursday!
    -J

My family would love this soup! I like the combination of lime, cumin, and chiles.

That looks so Delicious! I totally want to make it now.

~ calista ~ says:

Mmmmm – that sounds so tasty! I’m going to have to make that. Thank you for sharing :-}

Jamie says:

This is my kind of soup Jenny. I just put this on my menu plan for next week. Thanks for recreating it and sharing it with us.

Lovely soup! Isn’t it cool to fight over the last slurp of soup instead of the last cookie crumb! I love all these flavors together.

Becky says:

This soup looks so fresh and light!

This looks delicious and your photos are fabulous! I’m looking to upgrade my camera and I read somewhere on your blog what kind of camera you use, but can’t find it now.

Fuji Mama says:

I LOVE soups like this! This looks totally refreshing and comforting.

Krista says:

This sounds wonderful! I used to love Chili’s and we’ve moved to a place where there is not a Chili’s in sight. At least now I have soup recipe. Thanks!

LilSis says:

The soup looks absolutely delicious. My family LOVES homemade soup and I’m always looking for new healthy recipes, especially different versions with chicken.

I’m bookmarking now and hope to make this soon.

I’ve lived in California for eight years and I still never tire of taking photos of our beautiful sunsets. Last week, I saw the green flash for the second time ever since we’ve lived here.

Aggie says:

What a great soup Jenny! And I’m loving your bowls!!! Beautiful pics of you and your family.

Megan says:

This sounds absolutely delicious and heart-warming! I can’t wait to try it! I always love your recipes, they are so handy and easy to make-and they are always a hit with my friends and family!

Oh my word girly!!! That looks and sounds absolutely fabulous. I am going to have to make that ASAP

Nicole Rod says:

I made this tonight- it was FABULOUS!!!
    Thanks for sharing!

Beth says:

This looks like a great soup light enough for the summer!

I’ll have to try this! Where’d you get those super cute mini pots/bowls?

Annette says:

I was a bit under the weather and wanted a good soup, I made this on Saturday. It was just what I needed. I absolutely loved it. I put it with some mexican quesidillas for dinner, and there were no complaints from anyone. Great recipe, will definetly put this under favorites.

Launa says:

This was great! It was a huge hit with my family (and my three little boys don’t like soup). It is definitely a keeper!! It snowed this weekend in TX and this soup made my evening. Thanks so much for all your wonderful posts, I just love them.

Sue Copeland says:

Hi Jenny-

I tried this recipe last night. My husband and I loved it! Thanks for posting. Miss you.

Sue

Molly says:

Made this tonight and it was excellent! I’ll definitely be making it again and again! :)

Sheena says:

I tried this soup on Sunday and it was so good. I had to post a link to it from my blog. Thanks for much for sharing it!

[...] at Picky Palate posted a copycat version of Chili’s new Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup the other day and I immediately started salivating. I new the spicy and lime-y broth that she spoke [...]

Amber says:

MMmmm…Made this soup this afternoon, and it’s the perfect warm up. Fortunately, even though Rotel tomatoes don’t seem to be available in Canada, I had a single can tucked away in the pantry from a vacation a few weeks ago! Best souvenir ever!

It was a bit warm today for soup, but I’ve been wanting to make this recipe since you posted it and I’m so glad I did. Seriously one of my favorite soups–it will definitely return to our dinner table!

TOTALLY yum! Love the family pics too!

[...] Chili Chicken and Lime Soup recipe from Picky Palate Printable [...]

Debi Boz says:

Four words:
    Made It
    Loved It…

Kelley says:

Tried this at Chilis this weekend and loved the soup. I’m always afraid of the typical restaraunt over-salting dilema that can easily ruin a perfectly good bowl of soup. But they did it up right by flavoring it with good stuff! Thanks for copycatting this one, can’t wait to try!!

Allison says:

Hey Jenny! I finally got around to trying this and oh my goodness, I love when I feel like I’m eating out at a restaurant but instead I actually made it myself! Super easy! Super delicious. My boys thought it was too spicy but Mommy loved it! Thanks for another great recipe!!!

Allison says:

I ended up putting a link/copy of it on my blog. Hope that is okay (if not, email me). I put your name and a link to it!

Thanks again! I will so be making this again! :D

Tanya Jordan says:

This was SOOO good! I loved the combination of lime and cilantro…although I may have to armwrestle the rest of the family for the leftovers!

[...] Green Chili Chicken & Lime Soup (Adapted from Picky Palate) [...]

Lex says:

Soup looks yummy going to try this. Can’t wait to see how it comes out.

Shannon says:

I just had that soup the other day and have been the same way- I need to make it at home! Thank you for posting this recipe- I can’t wait to try it out!

Faiz says:

I went out on a limb and made this and it was delicious. If I were to do it again, I would put a serving of rice in each bowl as opposed to cooking it with the soup. In my case, I used cooked Jasmine rice, placed it in the pot that the rest was cooking in and it soaked up the majority of the broth, leaving a delicious mush substance.

You live and learn but thanks for the wonderful recipe!

ladykay says:

I don’t think you are weird at all – I had this soup at Chili’s this evening for the first time – and here I am googling the recipe… Glad to see you have already worked it out. Can’t wait to try it myself. Thanks!