Mar
2010

Colorful Easter Egg Layered Cake!

Tags:

Desserts

Hello Monday!  Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

I am really looking forward to Easter coming up.  I love this holiday for so many reasons….teaching the kids the true meaning of Easter, the baking, the Easter Bunny and everything in between.

This is a fun cake that was really simple to put together.  The kids love all the pretty colored layers and the moms love that it’s a breeze to make :)

I posted my homemade cream cheese frosting recipe below, but I must confess I used the good ol’ Pillsbury frosting for this cake.  Pretty and DELICIOUS!  Hope you enjoy :)

1.  Bake the thin layered cakes

2.  Stack and cut into egg shape

3.  Spread frosting between layers…….

4.  Frost and….voila’,  Done!

Colorful Easter Egg Layered Cake

1 Box White or Yellow Cake Mix

1/2 Cup vegetable oil

1/2 Cup water

8 oz sour cream or plain yogurt

4 eggs

1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix

Food Coloring or Decorating Paste (red, yellow, blue green)

Frosting

2 8oz pkgs softened cream cheese

2 sticks softened butter

2 lbs powdered sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer, mix the cake mix, oil, water, sour cream, eggs and pudding mix until well combined; about 1 1/2 minutes.  Divide batter evenly into 4 bowls.  Add very little food coloring or paste to each bowl to create a pastel color of your choice.  Once mixed, pour each colored batter into well greased 9 inch cake pans (4 total).  Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cakes are cooked through.  Cakes will be thin.

2.  Once cooled completely, remove from pans and stack on top of each other in the color patter you would like.  Take a long sharp knife and cut an egg shape, see pics above.  Once cut, place each individual layer of cake onto wax paper.

3.  To prepare frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until well combined.  Slowly beat in powdered sugar until desired consistency. Place first layer of cake onto a cake stand.  Spread frosting over top layer then place second layer of cake on top and continue this pattern until all layers are frosted.  Frost top and sides once layers are frosted.

4.  Cut into slices and serve with milk :)

10-12 servings

_______________________________

Over the weekend we went to the Irvine Railroad Park for an Easter Eggstravaganza with my sister’s family.  We had such a great time!  I took the sweetest photo’s of her newest little angel…I want to keep her so bad!

To see more pictures of our day at the park click on my “life in OC” page :)

Have a great new week!

Comments

That is so pretty! I want to make a fun Easter dessert and this may be it.

Miranda says:

What a easy and beautiful cake….I just might have to make this for my daughters preschool class. They would LOVE IT!!! Thank you so so much!

Kat says:

this is so cute!

HoneyB says:

Jenny, the cake is so pretty and the baby is beautiful!

so very pretty! I have never made a cake like this, but Easter might be the perfect time!!

Gorgeous! I might have to make that for Easter!

Stacy says:

So pretty! And it looks so good, taste-wise! Yummmmy!

Pat says:

Beautiful. Looks very festive.

That cake is gorgeous! I might have to make that for my DD’s 4th birthday this weekend.

Erica Lea says:

Hello! I had a lovely weekend. :)

This cake is adorable! It would be perfect for an Easter Tea Party.

Beth D. says:

Jenny, you’ve done it again! Love this idea for Easter… :)

Adorable! My kids would love this.

Freda says:

Such a festive and yummy looking cake!!!!

What a fun cake! So fresh and springy!

Beth D. says:

Oh, BTW, where did you find that adorable cake stand?? :)

Michelle says:

So cute! I just made rainbow cupcakes (complete with a “pot of gold” coin on top) for St. Patty’s day. Never thought of cooking the colors separate like this! Great idea! I’m on board. This will definitely be on our table for Easter Dinner! Thanks!

Yen says:

I was wondering, where do you buy your cake stand(s) from?

so super pretty pretty pretty!!

Rick says:

Easy and adorable! And it isn’t all that fattening!

Nicole says:

Thanks for this idea! I definitely want to make something like this for Easter

[...] Colorful Easter Egg Layered Cake! | Picky Palate [...]

[...] Colorful Easter Egg Layered Cake! | Picky Palate [...]

Memoria says:

I’m sure dads love that this is a breeze to meke, too. :)

It is a lovely cake. I love the photo of the slice.

Amanda says:

So pretty, what a wonderful idea!

Fuji Mama says:

What a fun cake! My girls would LOVE that!

Nicole says:

How cute! That’s what I’m going to make to take to our Easter dinner. Thank you.

Zara says:

What a fun idea :) Thanks for sharing.

DianaHayes says:

Nice job, it’s really pretty.

Just made rainbow pancakes over the weekend – love the idea of a colorful layered cake for Easter – yum!

Krista says:

What a fun cake and such a sweet baby!

Anna S. says:

Oh wow! that cakes looks sooo good! I am probably going to make it for Easter. One thing I would like to ask is…how do you make your frosting come out so good and look so good on your cake? and how do you make it so smooth on it also? whenever i’ve tried frosting cakes it just doesn’t work out. I would really like to know how you do it! thanks!

p.s. i think you make really neat recipes!

Hi Anna,
      Start with A LOT of frosting on the cake before trying to spread it. I find that it spreads much easier this way. Make sure the cake is completely cooled too! Hope this helps!!

Shelby Hill says:

Hey Jenny, I wanted to make this cake for a family easter gthering, however my broter-n-law is siliac and can’t have gluten. I was going to try it with a gluen-free yellow cake mix. Do you have any cooking suggestions for the gluten-free mix.

I love Naturally Nora’s gluten free cake mixes, they bake beautifully and taste great! I haven’t tried any other gluten-free mixes. Let me know if you find another good one :) I think you will really love Naturally Nora. You may have to order it online though. Google her name.

• Shelby Hill says:

So i didn’t have time to order Naturally Nora’s gluten-free cake mix but i used Betty Crocker’s gluten-free yellow cake mix and it turned out great! The layers looked slightly different because the cake was more dense! but it turned out wonderful! The family loved it! thanks for the recipe!

[...] Recipes Jenny Flake of The Picky Palate shares a tasty recipe for a colorful Easter egg layered Cake. [...]

[...] Easter Egg Layered Cake [...]

Sarah C. says:

I’m 2 weeks post-op from back surgery and getting bored, so this will be a great (but easy!) dessert to make for Easter. I did want to ask – when you divide the cake batter, about how much do you think goes into each pan? I am always terrible about dividing batters and doughs, and I always end up with parts that are significantly different in size. Any tips? Thanks!

Sheena says:

I tried this cake for Easter and I was so excited with how it turned out I had to post pictures on my blog. Thanks for sharing the idea!

I made this and everyone LOVED how cute and tasty it was! Thanks for the great recipes always :) I’ve made more than a few!

Recipes says:

[...] Easter Egg Layered Cake [...]

natysia says:

this cake is nice

Kristen says:

Oh Thank you, Thank you! Our twins turn one (eek!) on Easter Sunday and I have been slowly freaking out about what we are going to do – not worried about the babies, it’s the inlaws I’m stressing about and this cake will be just perfect!

kimberlycun says:

although i don’t celebrate easter, but this is too gorgeous not to make! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Annarose says:

Now how cute is this? I love that you cut it into the shape of an egg. This year I’m only allowing myself to make desserts for holidays (I love making desserts…) so I’m trying to find the perfect Easter dessert! This is definitely in the running.

Jill H says:

I made this cake last night and it turned out great! This was my first attempt at a layer cake and it was only slightly crooked. How do you frost it without all of the cake crumbs showing up in the frosting?

Hi Jill, I make sure the cake is completely cooled and I put lots of frosting on top of the cake to start so you’ve got lots to work with. Also make sure to brush off any loose crumbs before you start frosting.

Joan Murray says:

My mother used to make that when I was young (I’m almost in my 50s). She would make the white cake, split in half, make half blue, and the other pink. Then the yellow cake she would make the yellow and green layers. Then stack and ice and enjoy.

[...] with others.  It definitely is a labor of love for me.  I made this amazingly, yummy looking, Easter Egg Cake from Picky Palate that I saw featured on The Pioneer Woman today.  AND, I was loving baking so [...]

Taylor says:

I know this is gonna sound pretty dumb, but I’m making this cake as I comment and I was wondering if you used all 2 pounds of powdered sugar?

[...] layered cake April 13, 2011 tags: picky palate, easter cake by theconciergemom This Easter cake from Picky Palate almost makes me want to try coloring my batter again. (think back to my [...]

[...] Grace makes Cinnamon Roll Cake Dine and Dish (at RE) makes Traditional Strawberry Shortcake Picky Palate makes an Easter Egg Layered Cake – [...]

[...] Easter Egg Layer Cake [...]