Apr
2010

Rolled Up Chicken Dinner…

Tags: ,

Dinner

Chicken Dinner

Yipee it’s Thursday, which means tomorrow is Friday!  I am so excited for Saturday which is the National Food Bloggers Bake Sale .  I’ll be joining a group of other great LA bloggers who will be donating baked goods to raise money for Share Our Strength, hunger-based charity.  Really looking forward to helping out, I’ll be sure to take lots of pictures of our day and share them next week!!

Now onto some dinner….can I just say YUM?  Think dinner all rolled into one cute little chicken breast!  I’m talking mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese rolled up in crispy crusted chicken.  Love this recipe :)

This idea all started when I had a massive amount of left over mashed potatoes in the fridge.  I thought, why not roll some fabulous dinner favorites into chicken?   It sounded a bit crazy at first, but as I was putting it all together, I just knew it would be a hit.  I would definitely recommend making the mashed potatoes in advance.  Once the potatoes are done, this is a quick dinner to prepare…..and fun too!

Hope you enjoy :)

1.  Pound chicken  2.  Spread with prepared mashed potatoes  3.  Layer with broccoli  4.  Layer with cheese  5.  Roll and secure with toothpick  6.  Coat  with crumbs and Bake!!  See, it’s pretty easy!

Rolled Up Chicken Dinner

4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thinness

1 1/2 Cups prepared mashed potatoes, on the thick side, helps if they are chilled.  Click HERE for my recipe

2 Cups steamed broccoli, chopped into very small pieces, almost minced

1/2 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 Cup all purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 beaten egg

1 1/2 Cups panko bread crumbs

1 1/2 Tablespoons Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix

10 oz can cream of chicken soup

1 Cup milk

1 Cup steamed broccoli, finely chopped

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Place pounded chicken breasts onto a large baking sheet.  Spread a thin layer of mashed potatoes over each chicken breast then layer with broccoli and cheddar cheese.  Carefully roll each chicken breast up securing ends with a toothpick.  Place flour, salt and pepper into a shallow bowl.  Place beaten egg in a second bowl and the panko and ranch mix into a 3rd shallow bowl.  Dip/roll rolled chicken carefully into flour then egg, then panko mix (this will get a bit messy, don’t worry, it turns out great anyway!!)  Place chicken rolls back onto a baking sheet that’s been sprayed with cooking spray or is lined with silpat.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (juices are clear, not pink).  Let rest for 10 minutes.

2.  Heat cream of chicken soup, milk and chopped broccoli in a small saucepan until warmed.  Pour spoonfuls of sauce over each chicken roll and serve.

4 servings

_______________________________________________________

I couldn’t help but share some of my favorite shots of the boys and their new bubble sets.  I think I could look at these all day :)

This was probably the most fun I’ve had taking pictures, ever!  Come on over to my Life in OC page to see all of my  Bubble shots with the boys :)

Have a great rest of your week and weekend!!  See you soon :)

Comments

Debbi says:

This looks fantastic and so pretty! It’s all my favorite food wrapped all into one!

The photo’s are beautiful, so fun with the bubbles. My kids are obsessed with bubbles!

These look so good! My husband would love this!

TIffany says:

I LOVE when you share dinner recipes with us & this one looks SO good!!

The bubble pics are too FuN!!

This looks amazing, can’t wait to try the recipe!

I love the surprise filling! Fun recipe!

bunkycooks says:

This looks like a great simple dinner! Chicken is always perfect to mix with other flavors>

ashley says:

mmmmm this sounds delish. all my favorites rolled into one!

My kids would love this! I ALWAYS make a ton of mashed potatoes so there are leftovers. Great idea for those!

Christine says:

OMG Yum!!! I can’t wait to make this! Thanks for sharing! Looks very gourmet!

Sierra Hess says:

This looks so yummy! Do you think it would be good frozen? I am a member of a ‘dinner swap’ group and I would love to make this recipe but our meals must be able to be frozen. What do you think? Email me if you get a chance:) Thanks and keep up the good work!

wow what a great meal!

Cindy A says:

This looks incredible!! I love the bubble photos, especially the last shot!!

I don’t even like mashed potatoes and I’m craving this–it looks so good!

You are making my mouth water (yet again) with this recipe!

What a pretty and flavorful dinner! Chicken stuffed with tasty ingredients like these makes a wonderful meal.

Fuji Mama says:

I LOVE all-in-one dinner ideas like this! So much easier to convince family members to eat a balanced diet when all of the elements are “rolled up” (pun intended) into one dish!

Michelle says:

Love the Bubble Photos!

The Chicken sounds so good and ironically I’m making Rolled Up Beef tonight!

Jamie says:

What a neat idea. Seriously, your entire dinner rolled up in a chicken breast….genius!

Love the chicken recipe. So simple and so healthy! Wish I could do the bake sale in my area but we’re heading to the UK to visit my husband’s family (sure hope we can fly out given the volcano). Good luck w/ the bake sale!

Maggy says:

Very different! I like this – a new kind of chicken kiev. You always have the best ideas. YUM!

This rolled up chicken looks terrific! I will also be joining in on the bake sale for the NYC region.

Jannett says:

Photos are just wonderful…the dish is just a wonderful dinner …. will be giving it a try… :)

sibylle says:

I’m sure the cheese adds a wonderful taste!!

Shirley says:

So it is in the oven as I type. I looked at the receipe briefly yesterday and thought great idea. So this afternoon decided to try it. Started to get stuff out, interrupted for potty training accident, finished up and put in oven….then came & checked the receipe and forgot the mashed potatoes! Oops. Maybe next time. Guess potatoes are on the side tonight. lol You have awesome ideas thanks for the inspiration.

beth says:

Hubby and kiddo would approve of this one – looks yummy

Pam says:

Your chicken looks delicious! Love it with the Panko and I will have to give it a try!

great idea! Can imagine a lot of things to roll up.

These look so delicious! I can’t wait to make them. How could you go wrong with chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese?!?!

The pictures of your children and their bubbles are adorable!

I love your blog. I added you to my sidebar (I hope that was okay)!

Erin

Michelle says:

I made this last night- SO good! I can’t wait to try different variations on it! I realized after I made them that I used boneless skinless chicken tenders and that’s why they were smaller, and I used Italian bread crumbs because well, I’m in college and that’s what was in the pantry! Still delicious, and I had everything in my fridge already!

I want to create something like this with spinach–ideas?

Gina says:

Cute idea! They look so good, I’m sure my daughter would love these!

Sarah says:

This recipe was AMAZING! I made it last night and used Italian breadcrumbs instead. It is going down as one of my favorites.

Also the mashed potatoes were so good! I took them to a party this weekend and people begged me to leave some behind.

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes!! :)

Tannis says:

I made this for dinner tonight and it was very good. Although I know Panko bread crumbs are the best, I only had regular bread crumbs (we live in Spain). And I had to make my own cream of chicken soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Stacey says:

This looks delish!! Can’t wait to try it.

ilay says:

loved the recipe,
    used creamed fresh mushrooms instead of broccoli, and it came out fantastic.
    it’s kinda like meat sushi my kids say ;)

[...] Jenny presents Rolled Up Chicken Dinner [...]

Danielle says:

Made this for dinner last night and LOVED it! We had the leftovers for lunch today too :)

Meal Plan says:

[...] Rolled Up Chicken Dinner    Chicken, broccoli, mashed potatoes, and cheese sauce.  What else do you [...]

I love that mashed potatoes are in this, brilliant! Pinning :)

Lori
    Whoneedsacape.com
    Not Your Average Super Moms!

[…] Preparation Read full directions on Picky Palate […]