Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Dec
2010

I Smell A New Cupcake Shop…and A Snickers Cupcake Creation

Tags:

Desserts

A couple of weeks ago my good buddy Amanda was visiting CA and you all know what that means?  Lots and lots of bakery hopping for us.  We have made it a tradition to pop in as many fun bakeries as possible any time we are together…..kind of like how we did in NYC :)

Here we are in NYC…. bakery hopping fools!

So, first up is the brand new cupcake shop in Downtown Disney….”The Cupcake Store.” As you can see, it is nothing fancy, just an outside little building.  Inside are some very tasty cupcakes….wait till you see them!

You get a cute little box for every cupcake ordered so you can take them to go without them getting smashed.  We ordered 4 Cupcakes to sample….the Cookies and Cream, Chocolate with Vanilla Frosting, Vanilla with Strawberry Filling and The Celebration/Confetti Cupcake.

Here was our setup.  We used a table right outside of the shop, covered it in purple tissue paper and positioned them so we had the beautiful Disney Tree in the background :)

Here was our background that you’ll see in the photos below :)

Here’s the lovely Strawberry filled cupcake.  Doesn’t the tree look pretty in the background?

Aren’t these the cutest?  Love the candy straw in the Celebration Cupcake.

As Amanda and I were snapping our cupcake photos, we ran into Amy from “Do You Know The Muffin Pan.” She stopped us because she recognized us from our blogs, it was so much fun chatting with her.  Go check out her site, she has some great ideas for your muffin pans!

This cookies and cream one was by far my favorite.  Great frosting and soft chocolate cupcake inside!

This pretty confetti cupcake came in 2nd place.  It is adorable and very tasty.

….and yes, this is our cupcake graveyard scene.  Talk about sugar overload.  It was worth every bite!

I heard a rumor that the cupcake store is only at Downtown Disney until Janurary 9th.  I hope its not true and they’ll consider staying longer.  Such a fun little stop!  Hope you can try them!

At any rate, these were worth the $4.95 per cupcake.  Had a blast with Amanda and our cupcake photo shoot, stay tuned for our next bakery adventure :)

______________________________

Chocolate Mousse Filled Snickers Cupcake

Amanda and I went back to my kitchen and created a cupcake inspired by one of our favorite cakes at Jones on Third in LA.  They have the most beautiful Snickers Cake that tastes like a dream.  Our cupcake was a huge success!  The chocolate mousse filling and chocolate butter cream frosting with Snickers on top take this one over the edge :)  Hope you enjoy!

Imagine the box of gelatin to the right is not there (we didn’t end up using it for the mousse) then picture a small carton of sour cream is pictured over by the cake mix:)

Heavenly chocolate buttercream frosting :)

Delicious chocolate mousse filling!

Fill em’ up!

Our gorgeous Snickers Cupcake :)  Of course this was a horrible cloudy day and was nearly dark when we took these photos, but boy were they good!

Chocolate Mousse Filled Snickers Cupcake

2 Cups melted chocolate chips

Chocolate Butter cream Frosting

1 stick softened butter

2 1/2 to 3 Cups powdered sugar

1/4 Cup cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line 24 cupcake tins with liners.  To prepare cupcakes place the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, milk and sour cream into stand mixer.  Beat until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Scoop batter evenly into 24 cupcake liners.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes are cooked through, a toothpick comes clean from center.  Remove and let cool.

2.  To prepare mousse, whip heavy cream with a stand or electric mixer until looks like whipped cream, until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold in melted chocolate that has cooled for 5 minutes.  Continue folding until well combined then  transfer batches into a piping bag.  When cupcakes have cooled press the tip of the piping bag into the center of the cupcake about 1 inch then press mousse into center.  It doesn’t take much,  just one firm squeeze is perfect.  Continue filling all the cupcakes.

3.  To prepare frosting, beat the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla until well combined and a nice frosting consistency.  Spread over cupcakes then top with chopped Snickers.

24 cupcakes

_________________________________

Happy Baking, come back soon!!

Comments

Oh My Word! I want to eat every single one of those cupcakes!

Your snicker’s creation perfect!

Oh my gossssh. Snickers is my absolute favorite candy bar and I am just going wild over that. Drool.

Wow. That cupcake shop is just too cute and that snickers number looks completely decadent! We of course will just have to make it.

CaSaundra says:

That cupcake shop looks SO cute!

OMG, amazing! The pics, the recipe, everything!!! :)

Jocelyn says:

That cupcake looks amazing…all my favorites in one delicious cupcake. Love how you blurred the lights and tree behind your cupcakes.

This looks awesome! I miss snickers. I hardly ever get to eat them since Logan is allergic to peanuts. You should come link this up at the Holiday Recipe Exchange: Chocolate. There’s a $100 Scharffen Berger gift basket for the winner. :)

So glad you posted the recipe. These are SO Good!!! Thanks for letting me sample them:)

Wenderly says:

Evil…pure evil!…and I LOVE THEM! Thanks for sharing love, and my hips thank you too! :)

jessica says:

GORGEOUS photography! And these cupcakes look absolutely amazing; I’ll definitely have to try them out soon. Love your blog! :)

Jewels says:

Love the pics! What lens are you using? Thanks

Heather says:

Oh my goodness Jenny! These cupcakes look amazing.
    Love the cupcake shop too! Great photo’s with the christmas tree in the background.

Love all the pictures! Cupcakes look SO GOOD! Can you tell me the lens you are using? Want to put it on my wish list!!

Meghan says:

That cupcake store is adorable!!!

I love making cupcakes inspired by my favorite candy bar. Check out my chocolate peanut butter surprise.

Thanks for the adorable post!

Meghan Rae

Liz says:

I love the pretty pink foil cupcake liner from the confetti cupcake! Your photography skills just get better with every post, I hope you know that. And Snickers cupcakes?! Those pictures speak for themselves.

Lori Allberry says:

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny – yet another amazing post, with an amazing sounding recipe and amazingly beautiful pictures!

Thank You for sharing!!! =)

♥Lori

Kristen says:

Holy buckets of goodness…that Snickers cupcake looks AMAZING!
    And, love the cupcake picture with the tree too…did you just happen to be carrying tissue paper? You all crack me up :)

Loved the pictures and couldn’t help but notice and giggle at the fact that your camera is almost as big as you! I saw a tweep on Twitter just yesterday wanting to know what lens made for that circle effect with the background lights; what did you use?

Becky B says:

Wow! Those look AMAZING! Thank you so much for the recipe, I’ve been looking for a good snickers cupcake recipe and I can’t wait to make this.

Jane says:

What beautiful photos! Sounds like you had a great time! :)

What an amazing cupcake shop! I love the strawberry one best!

And your Snickers cupcakes look DELICIOUS, inside and out. I can’t wait to try the recipe. Thank you!

You guys are so cute. I should have come up there and gone to Disney with you!

Amy @DYKTMP? says:

THANKS JENNY! You’re the best!! I had so much fun and have been telling everyone the story. Not everyone gets how cool it is though haha. This is definitely a better audience for it.

BTW I made those cream cheese butterscotch pumpkin mini pies for thanksgiving… they were a HUGE hit. Though my Dad insisted on putting whipped cream on top of them, even with your topping already there. Hehe I couldn’t stop him so I just ran with it.

Have a lovely day!

Yum! That cupcake looks absolutely delicious :)

Camille Smithson says:

I LOVE your pictures! And I love that you showed us your set up. You are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Kami says:

That picture of the cupcake with the tree as bg, love love love it!

Jenny, I have always thought your pictures look AMAZING :) These ones look so great too.. and the cupcakes as well ;) I am so new to this whole food blogging world, just started my own a couple months ago but my pics are terrible.. I am using a dinky Cannon. What kind of camera would you suggest I buy to make my pictures look better?

breanna says:

Those cupcakes look yummy! I always mean to stop by there when I’m at Disneyland but I always end up filling up on the cupcake sampler in Disneyland. I think they even have them at the candy shop in downtown Disney. Best mini cupcakes ever.

All of these cupcakes look simply scrumptious! What camera setting were you using to get the tree to look so cool in the background of your photos, love this!

Cupcakes are definitely one of my favorite treats! And the pictures are gorgeous with the tree in the background. Isn’t it funny how we label food as gorgeous and beautiful?!

I feel like I’m on a sugar high just looking at those beautiful cupcakes!

WOW look at those cupcakes!!! and the shop is so fun!!! Great pics all around, yummy and beautiful!!! :) :)

Jenny, you and Amanda are such truly special women. Love seeing you both having so much fun together. That looks like such a fun trip to Disney & you are right-that cupcake shop should stick around longer than January!! Awesome seeing you yesterday :) XO

Shanna Lemke says:

I am attempting mini cupcakes with this recipe because of a cookie exchange. Hope it works out! They sound so delicious. I did buy some York Peppermint Patties to put on top of half of them because it is a Christmas cookie exchange.

Sues says:

Wow, these cupcakes are beautiful!! Especially the confetti one :) And the cupcake shop is adorable, too! My sister and I do the same thing when visiting new cities…. Cupcake crawls in every one!

Amy B. says:

Oh my goodness! Yumm-o! I’m kinda scared to make these cuz I think I’d eat the whole batch! =)

What a fun day of cupcake eating:-) That snickers cupcake looks amazing!

Deborah says:

Bakery hopping is one of my favorite things! And the pics are so fun with that gorgeous Christmas tree. But I do have to say – of all of them, I’d want to try your concoction the most!!

holly says:

YUM!!! Favorite candy bar ever!! This one loos soooooo divine!:)

Trish says:

What lovely photos. And the chocolate mousse snickers cupcakes – wow, I’m drooling…

Debbie says:

I am drooling! LOL. What great photos you captured of such yummy cupcakes.

Tickled Red says:

They all look simply amazing! You’re little cupcake graveyard scene has me cracking up luv.

Amanda :) says:

Loved, loved, LOVED our day together! :) Wishing I had some more of those cupcakes right now! :) Can’t wait for another day of bakery hopping in San Diego!! :) xoxo

Jenn says:

These look so amazing! They’re definitely on my To Bake list!

Oh my word all those cupcakes look out of this world. Especially yours has completely won over my heart!

xo

Jaden says:

That photo of you and Amanda– you gals look gorgeous!!!!!

[...] go to California without sneaking in a day of cupcake taste-testing with with my best gal Jenny, right?! :) Love this girl, she is as passionate about cupcakes as I am. We love checking out as [...]

Michele says:

Jenny-

I was just on Amanda’s blog & both of your photos are beautiful! I’d love to meet you both the next time you guys are in OC together. I live in OC as well. :) Love both your blogs! :)

Sara says:

Jenny,
    Your photography is AmAzInG! You really know how to make things look yummy-er! I think I would love to make your cupcake…but use Skor on it or Reeses Peanut Butter Cups! I am drooling as I typed this! Thank you so much for your wonderful blog! I love checking it out!