Dec
2010

Butterscotch Oatmeal M&M Cookies

Tags: , , , , , ,

Cookies

I am taking a cookie break today :)  I created this cookie for a guest post on Layla Grace.  Have you been to their website?  I could spend a fortune there, cute stuff including this awesome cake stand that I use daily!

My cookie today is the Butterscotch Oatmeal M&M Cookie. I LOVE a good oatmeal cookie and this one hit the spot.  Hope you enjoy :)

The stars of the show in this cookie :)

Don’t forget the oats :)

Butterscotch!

I like to top the cookies with M&M’s rather than mix them in the dough.  Less breakage this way :)

Super adorable Jessie Steele oven mitt from the Layla Grace site.

My cute hubby came home for lunch and….

…took this photo for me wearing a Jessie Steele Apron from the Layla Grace site :)

Butterscotch Oatmeal M&M Cookies

2 sticks softened butter
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 Tablespoons butterscotch ice cream topping
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 Cups oatmeal, I used Coach’s Oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 Cups chocolate chips
1 Cup M&M’s

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In stand mixer beat butter and sugars until well combined.  Beat in eggs, vanilla and butterscotch topping until well combined.

2.  In large bowl mix the flour, oats, baking soda and salt.  Slowly add to wet ingredients along with the chocolate chips until just combined.

3.  Scoop about 1/4 Cup dough into muffin top pans that have been sprayed with cooking spray.  Flatten with palm of your hand then top with 5-7 M&M’s per cookie.  Bake for 11-13 minutes or until cooked through and golden around edges.  Remove from oven and loosen edges of cookies while warm so they will be easy to remove.  Let cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.

24 Large cookies

__________________________________

Happy Baking, see you soon!

Comments

sibylle says:

great! love oatmeal cookies!!!

That picture of you in the apron is so CUTE!

I think butterscotch is SO underrated! Looks great.

I don’t really like butterscotch but I’d definitely try these with caramel instead!

Courtney says:

Never had a cookie with butterscotch, sounds good to me! Love the apron! :)

Wenderly says:

The two of you are as cute as those sweet cookies!

Jenny, I love how cute you are in this post wearing our favorite Jessie Steele apron!! Those cookies look amazing, your hubs is a sweetie to snap that great photo of you :) XXOO

Love your square cake pedestal!! I’m not a big fan of butterscotch, but these cookies do look tempting. I also like to add the M&Ms on top, less breakage and they bake up so pretty!

Yanely says:

They look awesome!!! But where did you get the muffin top pan? I can’t seem to find it anywhere…

Omg those look fabulous! That picture of you in the apron is also adorable! :)

Juliana from NC says:

I found your recipe on Layla Grace’s site back in November and made these cookies for the holidays.. kids, adults & neighbors all agreed, these cookies are delicious!

That is a nice pedestal! The cookies look wonderful. I love butterscotch, oatmeal and M&M’s!
    Happy New Year :)

Kim Thorne says:

Love the apron and cake pedestal! Just a quick question-I see you used a muffin top here instead of cookie sheet. Do you do that often? How do you adjust the cooking times to account for the extra thickness in, let’s say, a choc chip cookie recipe?

Natalie O says:

The cookies look SO good!

Anything is better with m&ms :)

Fallon says:

Cute apron and great cookies! I like your tip on adding the M&Ms to the top rather then mixing it into the dough.

I am kind of sick of sugar right now, but I could still eat a dozen of these:) Such a cute photo of you too! You are gorgeous my friend!

Cookies look delicious as usual, Jenny! Love the white cake stand – I really need to get myself a simple white one, I’ll have to check it out.

They look delish! Tell me about the pan you baked your cookies in. Are they like shallow cupcake rounds in the tin? Where did you purchase it? Thanks!
    Patti

Pattyann says:

Love this idea mix! They look downright yummy!!

Katy says:

A muffin top pan?? That is genious! Am I the only one on this earth who hadn’t heard of this amazingness? ;)

Those look absolutely delicious! i just love your blog!!

Mads says:

Mmmm I love adding butterscotch to sweets. People always ask why the cookies are so good…it’s always butterscotch!

Lauren B. says:

Jenny, you’re so stinkin’ cute in that photo! I love the apron! :) Love those muffin top pans, too!

Sanjeeta kk says:

Love the idea of using M&M in cookies. They look crisp and crunchy!

I just want you to know that after months of coveting that muffin top pan I got one for Christmas! SO excited to start using it!
    These cookies look like they might be the perfect inaugural cookie..have a great New Year!

These look fantastic! Hope to meet you in 2011 and happy New Year!

Jacks says:

After you posted this recipe, I knew I had to make them! I made a half batch (which worked amazingly well!) and substituted butterscotch chips for some of the chocolate chips. Mmmm! My husband and I loved them. Btw, they are great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!!

Sues says:

I love butterscotch and these cookies sound amazing!! I also love how the colors of your m&ms totally fit the butterscotch theme. Love the apron too!!

techkim says:

Why why did I came here and see these? I have a stack of recipes I want to make and now I am going to have to put this first. :) Thanks.

Great cookies. Oats amake amazing baked goods. Happy New Year!

Nisrine

Emily Gordon says:

Hey! I am new to Blogging, but have looked at your blog a lot with my roommates who follow you! We have tried cooking some of your stuff and it is absolutely delicious and I can’t wait to see many more recipes!!!

Kim in MD says:

The cookies look amazing, your hubby is adorable, and so are you in that cute apron! Just ADORABLE! :-)

Soraya says:

Sounds delicious. How many grams/ounces is a “stick of butter”?

Commenting from South Africa, and butter is sold in 500g blocks or tubs here.

Sarah says:

I ♥ my new muffin top pan! I asked for one for Christmas after I saw it in a previous post. I made these today with carmel and Reese’s Pieces. Delicious!

Oh Wow! I’ve got to try these. Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

Chelsea says:

I made these the other day and they were really good, but I couldn’t taste the butterscotch at all! I added about a cup and a half of butterscotch chips and they turned out amazing! I took them to class and impressed more than a few people :)

[...] or spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray. I used my muffin top pan (a tip I picked up from Picky Palate) for extra large cookies. Just spray the pan with nonstick spray and press about a quarter cup of [...]

Wendy says:

Can I just use a cookie sheet? Its 9pma and I want to make these for church tomorrow am and just noticed the muffin ban part of the recipe!

Krista says:

I couldn’t taste any of the butterscotch, so I wasn’t too impressed by these cookies.

I baked mine on a regular cookie sheet. My first batch completely flattened out and I had to cut the cookies apart. I refrigerated the dough for 30 minutes and did NOT flatten it after I scooped it onto the sheet, and that solved flattening out problem. Also, my cookies got brown really quickly, so I baked mine at 340 degrees.

[...] Oatmeal Butterscotch Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies from Picky Palate’s Website.  YUMMY! They were so soft and chewy, I woulda sworn they were baked in a convection oven.  The trick is they have Butterscotch Ice cream topping in them, who’da thunk it?!  [...]

[...] I recently got a request to make butterscotch and M&M cookies. I thought the request was unusual but as I love challenges I started searching for a recipe that took into account these ingredients. After spending a couple of days searching the internet, I found a recipe on Picky Palate. [...]