May
2011

Homemade Cajun French Fries

Tags: ,

Appetizers and Sides

What better to go with my Baby Cajun Burgers than some Homemade Cajun Fries.  I developed a simple and completely irresistible recipe that you can whip up this afternoon if you’d like.

Grab  yourself a couple of nice potatoes and get going, these are too good to pass up :)

Here are the spices I use for my Cajun seasoning recipe.

Here you have them.  Give them a nice mix.

Time to break out the potatoes.

Cut off all ends creating a rectangle.  Cut potatoes into strip as photographed.  Place potatoes into a bowl of sugar water and soak for 30 minutes.  Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to dry for 5 minutes.

Heat oil to 350 degrees F.

Carefully drop potatoes into hot oil, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, transfer to paper towel lined plate.

Shortly before serving, fry a second time and transfer to paper towel lined plate.

Right after 2nd fry, sprinkle with pinches of Cajun seasonings.

Homemade Cajun French Fries

Canola Oil, enough to fill pot with 3 inches of oil

Cajun Seasoning

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon dried Oregano

2 large russet potatoes

Sugar water

2 cups cold water

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1. Heat oil in Dutch oven or large pot until temperature reaches 350 degrees F.

2. Place cajun seasonings into small bowl and mix to combine.

3. Cut potatoes into desired thickness. Place water and sugar into a large bowl, mixing until dissolved. Transfer potatoes into water and soak for 30 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to dry, 5 minutes.

4. Carefully drop potatoes into oil and fry until golden, for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Right before serving, fry potatoes a second time for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with pinches of Cajun seasoning. Serve immediately.

Makes 2 to 4 servings

To be entered to win a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker, watch this quick video and click HERE to sign up to win!

Comments

YUM. I make a healthified version of these (in the form of roasted sweet potato wedges) all the time. Best ever.

oh yum…there’s really nothing like homemade FRIED french fries! and i love the cajun blend you made!

At first I thought the title said that you made fries with an ice cream maker. I was a little confused. I don’t think I am quite awake yet. I don’t know if putting a comment enters me in for the ice cream maker, but I already have one.

I love cajun fries and yours look delicious!

Nothing quite like spiced up fries.Yumm!

I love homemade fries, especially when they’re spiced! Yours look so great, can’t wait to try these :)

Mmm, the only thing better than french fries are TWICE fried ones! I love seasoned fries, so much better than regular fries.

Have you ever dipped french fries in ice cream? The ice cream has to be a bit melty, obviously, but the combo is amazing!

Aggie says:

Oh Jenny, these look awesome!! I love cajun everything. and homemade fries are the best! your pics are great!

Yum, I love the cajun seasoning you’ve made and I can imagine adding to lots of other things besides fries! These look really yummy though.

Also, I just realised that I have the same kitchen counter top as you :)

There is nothing like homemade french fries and these sound delicious! And perfect for this upcoming grilling weekend. I bet sweet potato fries would be fabulous with this seasoning too!

Homemade fries trump the store bought kind any day! I usually bake mine though to keep them a bit healthier.

Your bowl is super cute too btw.

Oh Jenny your fries look great! Homemade, thick-ish cut, the spice blend you used…yum!! I mean how could anyone not just want those!

Wow, these look so good! I wonder if they could be baked for a healthier (but obviously less crispy and less delicious) version.

jenna says:

oh my gosh your boys are so lucky to have a great cook at home! :) these look so good Jenny!!!

linda says:

i love these fries…amazing! a def make for me!!

Janie says:

These look great…I Love your site, and your recipes…very good…

Georgia says:

I’m curious. I’ve never soaked potatoes before frying before. What does the soaking in water for 30 minutes do for the potatoes?

Matt says:

Soaking in water removes some (probably lots) of the starch. Just make sure you pat them dry before dropping into the hot oil, or you’ll get splashed. The fries come out crispy on the outside, but cooked perfectly inside without burning (in my experience anyway) when I twice fry them. I reckon they taste better too. I just use normal tap water with no sugar, though. :)

kimberlycun says:

yummmy! i’m salivating like crazy looking at the fries!

I love cajon spiced potatoes, I bake them at my house though I’m sure the kids would love the deep fried version once in awhile! :)

SALLY PATTERSON says:

THEY SOUND YUMMY I WILL MAKE THEM WHEN I NEXT HAVE FRIES.

Wow those fries look good. Love the cajun spices :D

Homemade French fries are the best!

What a wonderful giveaway in time for summer!

Oooh! My husband would *love* me if I made these fries for him! He loves good fries, and spicy fries are even better! :)

Kim says:

I just tried Cajun seasoning for the first time last week and I loved it! I definitely need to try these!

Teri Dingler says:

These look great! Love your recipes! And thanks for the give-a-way info!

sibylle says:

they look very yummy!!!

What ratio do you use for your sugar water?

homemade fries are the best aren’t they?
    i love cutting my fries super thin for that nice crisp edge
    if you ever get a chance try using peanut oil. i know it’s expensive, but it truly makes a world of diff.
    have a good holiday girl!

I love homemade fries! The frozen bag ones are gross.

Fries with a kick-love them!

These are absolutely irresistible! I love that first photo, Jenny.

Yum, Jenny! I need more fried foods in my life. Life is just too short to avoid them!!

Sues says:

These look awesome!! I’m often bored by a plain old french fry, so I love the cajun spices!

jules p says:

These fries look amazing!!

Laura says:

So odd question…did you of your adorable boys make that dish you have in the picture at an “as you wish” here in AZ? Just wondering..and By the way my husbands loves my new “cooking skills” Thanks to your wonderful recipes..so thanks ;)Don’t worry I totally give you all the credit :D

Gordon Drago says:

I’d love to use sweet potatoes instead.

Tracy says:

These sound amazing!!

Now who would ever need to buy fries at a restaurant again when you can so easily make them at home? These are great for summer BBQ’s.

Courtney says:

I loveee fries, can’t wait to try these! :) Always so please with your recipes, never fails – hooray!!

I just gave these a try last night and they were amazing!! The first batch just wasn’t as crisp as I wanted them to be so for the second batch, I fried them a third time and it was perfect. Thanks for the recipe!!

Blond Duck says:

Baby burgers and fries, I’m sold!

Those look amazing and would be delightful with some cajun ranch dressing too….

Leslie says:

Made these tonight and they were delicious!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Ginger says:

Yummy! I want to make these very soon!

Kim in MD says:

These look so delicious! I made almost the same recipe last week, except after drying the potatoes I tossed them with a little canola oil, seasoned them and baked them in a 400 degree oven (turning once) until crispy and golden (about 30 minutes total). They were delicious! The smoked paprika really makes these fries! Try them baked…you will not be dissapointed! :-)

Marcus in TX says:

If I may, what is the proper mixture for the seasoning? It looks as though it is a 1:1 mixture for each, but I wanted to make double sure. It looks GREAT, and cannot wait to try this recipe! Thanks!

gclub says:

Its like you learn my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the ebook in it or something. I feel that you just can do with some % to drive the message house a little bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. An excellent read. I’ll definitely be back.