Jul
2011

Gooey Cookies and Cream Double Chocolate Cake Bars

Tags: , ,

Desserts

Oh the joys of summer.  Family visiting, beach time, Disneyland adventures and of course over the top baking ideas :)  This bar is just that…over the top and decadent.  With just a few simple pantry ingredients, you’ll have this fun recipe staring right at ya, lol!  My mom and I whipped this together last week and we are glad we did.  Chocolate overload!

Hope everyone is having a great summer so far!!  Enjoy another crazy bar from Moi :)

You’ll need a Devil’s food cake mix, 1 egg and 1 stick softened butter (1/2 cup/8 tablespoons).  Mix, Mix, Mix.

I use my hands to mix and you’ll get a firm dough like so.

Break it in chunks and place evenly into a 9×13 inch baking pan.

Press into pan until even.

I’ve baked a thing or two with these bad boys haven’t I?  Take 14 of them and break them into pieces.

Place them evenly over top.

Pour a 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk over top of cookies like my sweet mom is doing here :)

Why not add some chocolate chips right?

Once cooled, cut into squares and be prepared to swoon!  Enjoy :)

Gooey Cookies and Cream Chocolate Cake Bars

1 Devils Food Cake Mix

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1 large egg

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk

14 Oreo Cookies, broken into bite size pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a 9×13 inch baking pan with tin foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Place cake mix, butter and egg into a large bowl, mixing to combine. Use your hands, it works much quicker :) Press into prepared baking pan. Top with broken pieces of cookies.

3. Pour sweetened condensed milk over cookies and top with chocolate chips. Bake for 23-25 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from oven.

4.  After 5 minutes of cooling, run a plastic knife around edges to loosen, this makes it much easier to remove from foil.  Let cool completely, remove foil from pan, then cut into squares.  I cut off all of the edges before cutting into squares (makes for neater squares), but do whatever you’d like!!

Makes 12 bars

Comments

Jenny…once again, amazing. I am drooling. I really need chocolate in my life…and these bars, amazing.

Thank you for always making desserts that are EASY to execute and taste like a million bucks. From one busy mom to another…thank you!

Kathryn says:

Wow, these look absolutely amazing. I think my boyfriend would love me forever if I made these!

Apron Appeal says:

I don’t like my bready food soggy, but when I saw the sweetened condensed milk on this recipe I pinterested (is that a word) this recipe right away. Sweetened condensed milk is the one thing I’m ok with my food being soaked in…well that and caramel.

I am with you on this one, not much of a soggy fan. These bars aren’t soggy at all, just a bit gooey while warm. Hope you enjoy! …thanks for Pinning them too!

My husband and I would easily devour these!

oh i’m most definitely swooning now…can’t wait to try them!

Mrs. Fish says:

Oh yum! These would be dangerous at my house! :)

Wow…gooey chocolaty heaven.

Oh man, this might just be my favorite recipe from you thus far.. I can’t wait to try this one out! Yum!!

These look like chocolate heaven! Bookmarking this for my next family function – I couldn’t possibly keep these in my house without eating the entire tray!

I was such a good girl this weekend in regard to my diet. If you had shown up with these to one of my picnics, I wouldn’t have standed a chance! These look amazing!

Chris says:

Wow, these make my teeth hurt just looking at the recipe. All that being said i can’t wait to make them and eat them! I’m also going to attempt a gluten free version, for my fiance, who has celiac. Thanks for the recipe!

Crittervamp says:

I too have Celiac disease & will be trying them Gluten Friendly… The stores have GF chocolate sandwich cookies & GF cake mixes. Have any of you tried the chocolate condenced milk on these. Man, I am just asking for a chocolate attack. LOL

A whole can of sweetened condensed milk?! I instantly love it. These sound so good and I like how easy it is to make. :)

That looks incredible! I love all your creations but this looks especially good. I’m totally won over by the sweetened condensed milk, haha :D

Marcia says:

Surely these are illegal – By the way, any edges left?

Nancy says:

Wow! Those look delicious! So much chocolate- yum!!!

I saw the oreos and was already putty in your hands but then the shot of the condensed milk being drizzled over just sold this recipe to me 100%, it looks so so chocolateyrichdelicious and dangerously easy to make! Gorgeous recipe and photos as always :)

lynne says:

Yummy! These look fantastic!!

Thanks for another crazy good dessert using Oreos! I don’t think I can have too many of them!

Is it wrong I want to make a 6’x3′ version and roll in it?

Eileen says:

Oh wow, these look absolutely amazing!! I can’t wait to make these along with your fluffer nutter cake bars. Do you think I can use a brownie mix in place of the cake mix?

Mindy says:

Can I use a brownie mix instead (I have tons in the pantry)? Or would it not turn out? Thanks!!

Mindy says:

So I made this recipe using a brownie mix instead… and they turned out perfectly. I probably should have baked them for a few more minutes (it’s hard to tell when they are done..), but they were delicious!! Super-rich and chocolatey.

• Amy A. says:

I made them with brownies, too, and they were really gooey in the middle and completely done on the edges. Nobody complained though! They were gone in a flash! People were literally nudging each other out of the way to get them! I also used white chocolate chips instead of the regular chocolate. I’m going to make them again today and lower the temp. and lengthen the cooking time to see if the middle cooks a little better. This is going to be my signature dessert at parties now! Thank you :D

• kelly says:

When using brownie mix, you still used the same amount of butter/egg? Or followed the box instructions? I only have brownie mix but cannot wait to make these! :)

Robin Hodges says:

These look amazing.

Kim says:

What temperature should I cook this… It looked so heavenly I want to try them right away!!!

Kim says:

What temperature should I cook these at?? These look so heavenly I wanted to try them :) Thanks for all the wonderful meal ideas you give!!!

Elizabeth says:

OMG. You are evil! That is all I have to say.

Ahaaa! There are few desserts that can even come close to satisfying my unearthly love of chocolate–this is definitely one of them. I absolutely cannot wait to try these. I’ll have to throw a party as an excuse!

Allyssa says:

These looks absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to try them!

ShopCookMake says:

I will have dreams about this.

Caroline says:

Drooled over the picture this morning and had to make today! Knew it would be awesome, so we invited family over for dinner and DESSERT…YUM!!!! We ate them straight out of the oven, hot and gooey! Can’t wait to try cooled. Thank you for sharing!

Kim says:

I made your wonderful recipe tonight!!! Thanks for the great idea. Since my husband likes the mint oreos and I like the regular ones I did half of each. Turned out wonderful!!! Thanks again

Liz says:

These look AMAZING! I can’t wait to try these!

Jenny, these chocolate cake bars are so fun! Glad to hear you are having so much summer fun with your family :)

That is one decadent, irresistible bar, Jenny. You’ve done it again!

Wow, these look divine!

Jessica says:

Why do you do this to me Jenny? Why?! ;-)

Love these easy cake-mix based desserts. Perfect!! Ooey Gooey wow!

You are killing me! I just got back from lunch and am sneaking some food blog viewing in and here I find a gorgeous picture of my greatest weakness – cookies and cream. Sigh… Well, guess I know what I’ll be baking this week :)

Deborah says:

These look amazing, Jenny! And super easy, too!

patsy says:

I’m so happy I saw this post! These will be perfect for our block party! YUMMMMMM!

Kate says:

Do these have to have unsalted butter or can you use salted? They look delicious!

Ashley says:

Oh man, I made these tonight, and I think it is literally the best thing I have ever tasted as far as chocolate goes!! This, however, is not a good thing! haha Thank goodness for my husband working with a bunch of hungry men, and I will not consume the whole 5,000 calories myself! :) Splendid recipe!

Sara says:

My 8 yo niece made these, with very little help, for her Dads birthday. They were a huge hit with everyone. She named it “Triple Chocolate Oreo Best Ever Birthday Cake. Thanks for another great recipe.

Tracy says:

These look so sinful! Who needs bathing suit season anyway. ;-)

Charmaine says:

This is one of those recipes that is baffling. I do not know how your recipe looked as it did completed unless you baked your cake crust first. I was very careful with all the ingredients and amounts. All of that Sweetened C milk sunk to the bottom along with the choc chips and oreos and the cake part bubbled to the top in a strange crater like fashion. Something is not right in this recipe. This is really sad and a waste of some not so cheap ingredients.

Ashley says:

I followed the recipe as noted here, and mine turned out identical to the picture.

• Jenny says:

Thank you for the feedback Ashley!!

• Shannon says:

Mine just came out of the oven and are PERFECT. Jenny, where did you come up with the idea to only mix those three ingredients and it would turn out so wonderful? I don’t know how you think of your recipes, but I am thankful that you do. I have never had one I didn’t like. As a matter of fact, your recipes are the only ones I bake with my boyfriend’s children. Every one of them is a hit!

Charmaine, I am really stumped. I feel like I wrote out the recipe as simply as possible. Sorry they didn’t work out for you.

Jen Nicks says:

I made this today as written and it turned out just like the picture too! Don’t think there is anything wrong with the recipe. Other than maybe one might eat the entire pan.

Lauren says:

I had the same problem, Charmaine. I know I followed the directions, but my end result looked nothing like the pictures. I wonder why?

• Jen says:

Did you possibly use evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed milk? They both come in cans and the evaporated milk is not as thick and could cause it all to separate out like you said. One possible reason it didn’t work…

Latrice says:

This dish will run over if the pan is not big enough. My first batch did the same as your. Once I increased the pan size they turned out perfect. Also, I was able to get all the ingredients at Family Dollar for $6!

Sarah says:

I had the exact same thing happen. I’m no baking novice, here, so I’m stumped as well. (I have made plenty of cakes from scratch, and down to some of the simplest treats around.) The only guess I have is that baking in a glass dish is the problem, and I should have used metal? Also, I used half mint Oreos and the mint filling definitely has some different additives because that melted all over the place, but I don’t think it would have caused this total failure. My oven is only 6 months old and so has no temperature regulation problems. I used a large egg, one regular stick of unsalted butter, and a Duncan Hines devils food cake mix. I wonder if refrigerating the base layer before adding other ingredients would help… Either way, this was a little too rich for me (yes, I ate the goo to taste test even though the bars didn’t set!) so I probably won’t try again – but I wanted to let others know I failed as well.

Alberta says:

OMJ! I’m in chocolate heaven!

Erika says:

Holy Cow! These look ridiculous! Cannot wait to try them! Thanks so much for all the yummy recipes. ;-)

Hannah says:

I can not stress enough just how awesome you are! These look amazing.

[...] Gooey Cookies and Cream Double Chocolate Cake Bars (Picky Palate) Anyone come across any interesting recipes this week? Care to share? [...]

emily sadlow says:

oh. my. goodness. i am literally drooling over my keyboard at work right now looking at these babies. can’t wait to try them!! i thank you for this recipe, but my waist line does not ;)