Jul
2011

Almond Artichoke Summer Couscous

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

Let’s take a break from the crazy cookies shall we? :)  I have a major crush on couscous salads, especially in the summer.  It’s so great to have them in the refrigerator for nibbling on during the day.

I love that couscous cooks in 5 minutes which means, this entire salad is done within about 20 minutes.  Grab your fork and enjoy some summer couscous.  Now, to be completely honest, this is a recipe the kids may not be head over heels for, but hey, Mom needs some good food for just her from time to time right?  Lol!

Enjoy friends!

Here’s what you’ll need:  Some arugula, Italian dressing, slivered almonds, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes and couscous.

I just purchased a can of artichoke hearts, but you can use the marinated ones too.

Give your artichoke hearts a chop then add them to your cooled, cooked couscous.

Toss in your slivered almonds.

Almonds=Love :)

Some sun dried tomatoes.

A little kosher salt.

Add some freshly ground black pepper.

Fresh Parmesan Cheese :)

Just a touch of your favorite Italian Dressing.  I used Newman’s Own this time.

I love adding a handful of arugula to the salad.  Peppery, fresh…and so pretty.

Be prepared for a simple, light, and perfectly delicious summer couscous salad.

Almond Artichoke Summer Couscous

10 ounce box Near East Couscous

15 ounce can artichoke hearts, chopped

1 cup slivered almonds

1 cup sun dried tomatoes

1 cup fresh shredded or grated Parmesan Cheese

1/4 cup Italian dressing of choice

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

A handful of Arugula leaves

1. Cook couscous according to package directions. Toss to fluff and chill until cooled.

2. Add rest of ingredients, stirring to combine. Serve or chill until ready to serve.

Makes 8 servings

________________________________________

Have a great week!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Sundried tomatoes (the dry ones in the packets, not the ones in a vat of oil) are some of the best things EVER

And so are artichokes. Love.Them. Did you know TJ’s sells frozen arti hearts and you can just pop a handful out of the bag, let them come up to room temp, and you’re all set? They changed my life b/c I dont always need a whole can. And dont always want the salt water bath from the canned juice.

Just a hot tip for ya b/c I know you’re a TJs girl like me since you recognized my sunflowers from TJs in my instagram pic :)

Katrina says:

This sounds wonderful. Great dinner idea!

I wish I had made this to take for lunch today!

Kelly says:

Oh, this couscous is so gorgeous and bursting with seasonal flavour. I love all the healthful inclusions. Beautiful.

I love that you can break from cookies and give us something nutritious yet still mouthwatering! I love sundried tomatoes, this sounds great!

what a great combination of flavors! i love the flecks of green and red :)

Kathryn says:

This is such a perfect summer salad – enough to be substantial enough to keep you full but light enough for the time of year. Thank you!

Looks like we both have summer salads on the brain – lovely Jenny. Love the twine wrapped dinnerware too.xxoo

This is the kind of salad I could happily eat day after day. I recently started by whole wheat couscous and love the extra kick of fiber.

Kalyn says:

What a perfect summer salad; could eat this every day.

Beautiful summer salad!

Couscous is one of my favorite things EVER! This is an incredible idea for a summer salad

MikeVFMK says:

Jenny, this sounds like the perfect summer salad. I’d probably replace the artichokes with something else, but everything else is perfect! Really light and refreshing salad.

Hey Jenny, this coucous salad looks amazing. LOVE the sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes. I bet this would be easy to make with quinoa.

Ali says:

Looks awesome! This would probably be good with quinoa too. I’m on a bit of a quinoa kick right now. :D

Emily says:

I love all your summer recipes! So light and fresh! What a gun last picture! Ok so what’s your fav thing you can’t live without in the kitchen?

CAS says:

Oh boy, does this ever sound scrumptious! Thanks, Jenny!

Looks light, refreshing and filling! Perfect for summer!

This salad looks so light and refreshing!

This salad looks perfect for salad! Thanks!

Risa says:

This looks great!! A perfect meal to make when you don’t want to turn on the oven in those hot summer days! I can’t wait to try it…I forwarded the recipe to all my coworkers!

that is the perfect summer dish! i was just saying how the couscous i made the other day had no flavor. gotta make this :)

This is the perfect salad for these crazy hot temperatures! I LOVE the addition of the artichokes.

I love couscous! It is my go to side dish when time is tight. This salad sounds like a tasty easy twist on my usual version of couscous – the carton of Near East couscous with pine nuts.

LC says:

This is the perfect summer salad recipe, one that I’ve been looking for. I plan on making this tomorrow, with an additional “plus one” — a little green onion. (I pretty much add onion to almost everything, it seems).

I love your instagr.am stream — to able to see home means so much to me. (My husband’s career moved us to the south, heartbroken). So thank you for all of the pretty, pretty pictures! – Laurie716

Lisa says:

We love couscous in our home. It is so fast and easy. However we are certainly in need for a new take on an old dish. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kayla says:

Oh my goodness your boys are so cute!!

I bet I could make this with quinoa, I think I will!

Tracy says:

Love this! A perfect summer side!

This has everything in it I LOVE :)

Carrie Z says:

Thank you! Added some chopped chicken to make it a meal. So delicious!

Ellen W says:

I made this with quinoa – great summer salad. For some reason my tomatoes seemed tough, even after soaking them so I’m thinking I may try it next time with red bell peppers.

Lisa says:

made it last night to take for lunch today…so good, thank you for this recipe!!!

Natalie says:

Did you forget to put arugula in the ingredient list?

Trisha says:

I made this as a sode dish for dinner tonight. Loved it!

Trisha says:

OOOPPS! That should have said *side dish

aya says:

so good tyvm ^^

[…] lunch recipe of ours, though we haven’t made it in a while. It is originally gleaned from this couscous recipe, but using quinoa and some other tweaks. I shared it with a couple of friends a while back, and […]

Hello There. I found your blog the use of msn. This is a really smartly written article.
    I will make sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your useful info.
    Thank you for the post. I’ll certainly return.