Oct
2011

Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

Tags: , ,

Desserts

I love watching the reaction of my boys sampling my baked goods.  I gave them a bite after school a couple days ago of this sheet cake and their expression was priceless.  If I left the room, I am afraid the entire plate would have been devoured.  This recipe is that good my friends :)  In fact, it will be making an appearance for Thanksgiving and probably Christmas for sure!

Don’t let the cake mix in the recipe scare you away.  I assure you, no one will know this is a jazzed up cake mix recipe.  It is gooey and tastes just like a sweet pumpkin cinnamon roll in square cake form.

Try it out for yourself and let me know how that first bite was :)  Enjoy!!

Here you have your line up of ingredients.  You are likely to have most of these things in your kitchen right now!

Let’s get this party started :)  Start with dumping all of the cake ingredients into the mixer.  No particular order.

A small box of instant pudding mix does wonders!

Add those eggs.

Oil, milk and sour cream.

Add a can of pumpkin.

How gorgeous is that?!

Here it comes!

Almost there :)

Perfect.

Spread the cake evenly to the edges.

Like so :)

Melt your butter, add the brown sugar and cinnamon :)

Time to drizzle!

Seriously!

Run a knife through to swirl the goodness then bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Here’s a shot of how it looks right after baking, wait until you smell this!

When the cake comes out of the oven, whip up the drizzle.

Drizzle while the cake is still warm….

….so it melts lovely like this :)

Love!  Enjoy friends :)

Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
3.4 ounce box Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
1/2 cup sour cream
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream (start w 1/4 cup and add a little more cream if needed)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a half sheet size baking pan (13 x 18 x 1) with non stick cooking spray.

2. Place cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, pudding, sour cream and pumpkin into a stand mixer or electric mixer, beating until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

3. Place butter into a microwave safe bowl and melt, about 30-40 seconds. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to bowl, mixing until combined. Drizzle mixture evenly over cake then take a knife and run it through to swirl.

4. Bake cake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through and remove. Place powdered sugar and cream into a large bowl and mix until creamy and smooth. Drizzle over warm cake then let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares. Refrigerate if not serving same day.  Enjoy with milk!

Makes 16 to 20 squares

_________________________________

Have a great day and come back soon!

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

Amanda says:

Oh my gosh Jen, I am so excited to try this one! I’ve been dreaming about this recipe ever since you posted it on Instagram. Stayed up late just to see it posted!! :) Have a fab Thursday, miss you!! xoxo

Hey girl! So glad you are going to give this one a try, it is going to be a regular at my house :) Hope you have a great day!!

• Mari says:

This sounds really yummy. I think I will make it for Thanksgiving but I will leave the sugar frosting off and spread with vanilla ice cream and roll it into a ice cream roll.

Omg Jenny!! I saw the teaser pics on Instagram and was seriously waiting for this one.

Thank you for being amazing and making something that I just have to have, asap.

I love that you said that you enjoy watching your boys’ reactions to your baked goods…I do the same thing w/ my family. I can tell when I have a hit on my hands by a 4 yr olds reaction. Kids can’t fake it. ha!

I just pinned this to my Pumpkin Board on pinterest, too.

I seriously love trying out my recipes on my boys, because like you said, they will tell you the truth…good or bad :) Thanks for your sweet comments!!

Kathryn says:

This is awesome! Love how simple it is to jazz up a simple box mix and it looks absolutely delicious!

Sibylle says:

I’m sure this cake is very yummy and great for this autumn time!
    Sibylle

Brittany says:

This looks out of this world!!! I will definitely need to make this. Perfect for the holidays :D

Oh my, I need a huge slice immediately!

oh.
    my.
    word.

this is so dangerous and i don’t even care if i eat the whole thing!

This sounds so yummy! I’m loving the photos!

Larissa says:

this sounds delicious! I have only one question: if I were to do this without a cake mix (since I never have those on hand), what are the parts that I would add to my regular yellow cake batter to achieve the yummy result? The sour cream and pumpkin and pudding? and of course the cinnamon and glaze. Thanks! I always enjoy seeing what you have created, I just wish I knew how to alter the recipe to use a scratch cake batter instead of the box. I may buy a box of mix just to make this for this weekend, though. I am making treats to bring to a Horse Rescue Barn’s open house and I’m sure these would be a hit!

Hi Larissa,
      Since I haven’t tried this recipe any other way, I can’t say what substitutions to use. You could do some experimenting though :) Have fun!!

• Larissa says:

I found a homemade yellow cake mix at http://www.lifewithchickens.com I may try that soon. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

• Larissa says:

It was so good!! I think I’m making it again this week. Also, I found the same recipe, only with cream cheese frosting on feedmytemple.com…8 days after your post…crappy that someone would steal your recipe, change the topping and not credit you at all for the base…

Sarah says:

Wow! This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it. I love, love, love Fall for this very reason!

Deborah says:

Oh my goodness – I want one of those for breakfast!!!

Suzanne says:

I can’t stop swallowing…this looks divine! I can’t wait to make this.

I’m having evil cinnamon roll thoughts now, but I forgive you. This looks awesome, Jenny!

Lisa says:

I see that you are using a new kind of cinnamon. Do you find that it makes a difference in your baking. Do you prefer that over “regular” cinnamon.

You know Lisa, I don’t find a huge difference in the cinnamon. This one photographed is a touch stronger than the regular cinnamon, but I wouldn’t go out and buy a new one just for this recipe :) Hope you enjoy!!

Annie says:

That looks great! I don’t usually like to use cake mixes, but I think I definitely would in order to give this a try!

Kristen says:

Gorgeous, Jenny

Kay says:

Oh wow this looks amazing!

Sandi Benoit says:

We’re pumpkin-holics!! I can’t wait to try this one!!! Surprise my daughter with it! She lives for pumpkin season!!

jenna says:

oh my gosh jenny!! this looks so gooey and delicious! perfect.

Jeanne says:

This recipe looks amazing – quick question, in the ingredients you put 1/2 stick butter but put 8 Tblspn – is it a half or full stick of butter? Thanks so much!!!

Charlene says:

Looks amazing! Love fall & all the pumpkin stuff!

Melanie says:

I was looking for something for an early Thanksgiving dinner this weekend, and this will be perfect! THANK YOU! I cannot wait. Show stopper, for sure!!

Yeah, I bet your house was smelling amazing once you pulled that bad boy out of the oven! Yum yum yum!

Angela Howell says:

As my daughter would say, these look so hackin awesome! I can’t wait to try these!

Marie in Va says:

This looks amazing! I’m going to make it this weekend for my family that is visiting! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Wow – I will definitely be trying this one out!

VickiT says:

OH YUM! This looks amazing. I’m wondering now if I can slip this past hubby who does not like pumpkin. lol
    Of course, to be fair, he doesn’t like pumpkin pie and because of that I’ve not tried anything else with pumpkin so this just might work. It looks SO good though that I have to try. My son and his fiancee will be stopping by next week and she just LOVES pumpkin so that might be the night to try this just in case hubby doesn’t like it. That way I can send it home with them so I’m not ‘stuck’ (oh wouldn’t THAT just be horrible? haha) with the leftovers.
    Thank you.

Erin says:

I love how you use a box of cake mix to make so many different and amazing things, this is no exception! Love it.

Allison says:

Oh my gosh. This looks amazing. On my weekend to do list, for sure!

Kate says:

I will definitely make this on Saturday. My cousin’s son is turning one…and there’s always room for an extra cake, right?

This looks amazing! I just made some pumpkin cinnamon rolls, but this is a super easy alternative that I could make while I’m up at school!

Can’t wait to try it out on my dormmates :)

Katie says:

First of all, this looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it. I LOVE pumpkin!! Second, I have a question. I don’t have a jelly roll pan. How much time do you suppose it would take to bake in a 9 x 13 pan?

Dyanna says:

I was wondering the same thing. Help!

• Courtney says:

Yes!! Wondering the same thing! Dying to make this but kind of difficult without a jelly roll pan. What modifications should be made to the recipe to have it fit in a 9×13 pan???

Sara says:

Wow, these look amazing. I just blogged about how I don’t like pumpkin things because of my dislike for pumpkin pie, but this just might be the recipe that changes my mind. Also, beautiful pictures as always!

Ashley says:

This is genius!!

Danielle Beinke says:

Looks amazing! But, I don’t have a sheet pan….can you use a regular cake pan? Or will it be too gooey since it’ll be thicker?

Ryan Nicole says:

Maybe it was just me, but I attemped to create this in a cake pan and it collapsed in few places. I would NOT recommend it!

• Jenny says:

Oh good to know, guess the 9×13 is out of the question :) Hope it was still edible for you!!

• Ryan Nicole says:

It was still delicious, but it was a little bit too gooey and not pretty enough to take with me! Will try again with the pan you used!

• Jim says:

I think it’s a 1/2 sheet pan, 18×13. Split the batter between (2) 9×13′s and you should be whistlin’ while you drizzle.

Katlyn says:

I used a 9×13 pan and it came out beautifully and without any issue! :)

Michelle says:

I have to make this! Looks amaaazing!

Kim says:

Do you think this would work with sweet potatoes too? I’m sad to say I’m not a pumpkin fan, but sweet potatoes, yum!

Heather says:

my mouth is watering!!!

I bought a bunch of vanilla instant pudding mix when they went on sale, and made this:

But you’ve given me another idea to play around with! Thanks! It looks delicious!

Clare says:

oh my goodness I am most definitely making these this weekend!

MK says:

Okay, this recipe is officially dangerously good! I will be making it for Thanksgiving and Christmas for sure. I love the simplicity of it!

That looks amazing! All the flavor of a cinnamon roll without all the fuss. Fabulous!

Beth says:

yummy. good!! (:

Kim Henrichs says:

Made this tonight – AMAZING!! Thank you so much!

SM Edens says:

Couldn’t wait to get home to try this recipe. Love it :) Shared some with my sister who doesn’t like pumpkin and SHE loved it too.

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says:

I know what I’ll be baking up this weekend, THIS! This is fantastic! :)

Laura Warnke says:

I will have to say that is one of the best looking recipes I have seen. Your photography is also very nice.

I just know that would not last long around our house. Yummy, yummy!

Ginger says:

Thank you for creating and posting such a delicious recipe!!! I will make this next time with a gluten free cake mix so I can eat more than a small sliver….. This was worth falling off the gluten free wagon for a moment. SOOOO AWESOME!!!!:)

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I hope I get to make it soon! :)

Jennifer says:

OH. MY. WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am in heaven! and hungry now!
    xoxo