Oct
2011

Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

Tags: , ,

Desserts

I love watching the reaction of my boys sampling my baked goods.  I gave them a bite after school a couple days ago of this sheet cake and their expression was priceless.  If I left the room, I am afraid the entire plate would have been devoured.  This recipe is that good my friends :)  In fact, it will be making an appearance for Thanksgiving and probably Christmas for sure!

Don’t let the cake mix in the recipe scare you away.  I assure you, no one will know this is a jazzed up cake mix recipe.  It is gooey and tastes just like a sweet pumpkin cinnamon roll in square cake form.

Try it out for yourself and let me know how that first bite was :)  Enjoy!!

Here you have your line up of ingredients.  You are likely to have most of these things in your kitchen right now!

Let’s get this party started :)  Start with dumping all of the cake ingredients into the mixer.  No particular order.

A small box of instant pudding mix does wonders!

Add those eggs.

Oil, milk and sour cream.

Add a can of pumpkin.

How gorgeous is that?!

Here it comes!

Almost there :)

Perfect.

Spread the cake evenly to the edges.

Like so :)

Melt your butter, add the brown sugar and cinnamon :)

Time to drizzle!

Seriously!

Run a knife through to swirl the goodness then bake 350 for 30-35 minutes.

Here’s a shot of how it looks right after baking, wait until you smell this!

When the cake comes out of the oven, whip up the drizzle.

Drizzle while the cake is still warm….

….so it melts lovely like this :)

Love!  Enjoy friends :)

Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
3.4 ounce box Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
1/2 cup sour cream
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream (start w 1/4 cup and add a little more cream if needed)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray a half sheet size baking pan (13 x 18 x 1) with non stick cooking spray.

2. Place cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, pudding, sour cream and pumpkin into a stand mixer or electric mixer, beating until well combined, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

3. Place butter into a microwave safe bowl and melt, about 30-40 seconds. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to bowl, mixing until combined. Drizzle mixture evenly over cake then take a knife and run it through to swirl.

4. Bake cake for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through and remove. Place powdered sugar and cream into a large bowl and mix until creamy and smooth. Drizzle over warm cake then let cool for 20 minutes before cutting into squares. Refrigerate if not serving same day.  Enjoy with milk!

Makes 16 to 20 squares

_________________________________

Have a great day and come back soon!

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

Ellen says:

I made this last night because it looked so delicious. I rarely bake, so I was wondering what the consistency of the cake is supposed to be. I’m not sure if I just didn’t cook it long enough or if it’s actually supposed to be a little soft? Either way, it still tasted soooo good.

Sandi says:

My son would love an after school snack like this, scrumptious! That pumpkin brand always seems to work with recipes so well-

Kimberlee says:

Made these for our work Autumn potluck today! Love!

saniel says:

any way to make this a vegan recipe? or at least with out the instant pudding substitute.

Amanda says:

This looks absolutely amazing!! I am a HUGE fan of any dessert using pumpkin. I am definitely making this during the weekend, but I am thinking about using a spice cake mix instead of the yellow.

abigail says:

how many inches is a jelly roll pan?

Oh my word!! Looks gorgeous and I bet it smells even better….I think I need to make it to find out! PS- I call them eggies, too:)

Jim says:

YUM!
    Wonderful pics and descriptions.
    On the measurements–
    The pan looks like a 1/2 sheet pan. If it is, the dimensions are 13×18.
    That means (2) 9×13 pans will do as a substitute for those that lack a sheet pan in their arsenal.

I can see why your kids went crazy over this one. It looks so incredibly moist and, really, you just can’t beat cake with pumpkin.

Oh wow this looks delicious!! We dont use pumpkin much in desserts in Oz but after seeing so many, Im so keen to try :)

kim kline says:

i just made this and it is really really good!!! i was wondering too…what exact size pan u used…this came out really really thin…BUT still delicious!!!!!

Tickled Red says:

Oh my happy day! I could eat the whole tray. I would have to sneak some in the wee hours of the morning but that’s doable ;D

MikeVFMK says:

I love pumpkin desserts! This cake looks amazing. And the pictures are pretty. Love this post. Might have to make these for myself to get my pupmkin fix.

Seriously looks FABULOUS. I have pinned more recipes on here that I can make in my lifetime! THANK YOU!

Marty says:

I’m so saving this for my cheat day. Looks delicious.

Adrianna says:

I cannot wait to bake this! I am a lover of all things pumpkin and this just looks fantastic! I was buying the ingredients tonight and ran across a pumpkin spice flavor of instant pudding. I bought that and vanilla but I can’t decide which to use. Do you think it is worth experimenting with the pumpkin spice one?

Amy S. says:

OMG! I was passed the link to this pumpkin-heaven this week and immediately wanted to make it for some friends that came to town this weekend. We had it for dessert tonight and it was a HUGE hit! I will be making this for every holiday, and it was SO EASY! Thank you for your creation! :)

Natalie says:

I made this recipe for today and it was a huge hit! Even the people who claimed they didn’t like pumpkin loved it. Thanks so much for sharing your recipes!

Linda says:

What size jelly roll pan? -15 x 10 or 17 x 12? Thanks!

Sarah says:

I made this yesterday! Phenomenal!!!

I , for some crazy reason, had no powdered sugar anywhere in the house. So I just whipped the heavy cream into whipped cream and served it. Yummy!!

Michelle says:

I have to thank you SO much for posting this recipe. I knew I had to try it as soon as I saw it on your site, and boy am I glad I did! I baked it yesterday for a large family dinner and it was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone, ages 2 to 56. I posted the recipe on my site with my changes here http://www.dreamingofwhitechocolate.com/2011/10/cinnamon-roll-vanilla-pumpkin-sheet.html. Of course I remembered to give you credit too for your delicious creation. Thank you again!

[...] I'm posting the link it has pictures with the recipe at the end. I will be trying this real soon. Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake | Picky Palate I organize chores into catagories. Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll [...]

[...] Jenny Flake doesn’t make any health claims about her recipe for Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake, but I always say there’s no sense feeling guilty around any holiday. This one has a lot of ingredients, but it calls for convenient ingredients like cake mix and instant pudding, so it’s relatively simple and “no one will know this is a jazzed up cake mix recipe,” Jenny says. (Picky Palate) [...]

julanne says:

Looks so yummy….can’t wait to make it. I will have to do a trial run to make sure it is good enough tho lol!!

Aubrie says:

I could NOT stop thinking about these ever since I saw your post on Thursday! I made them on Saturday with just a couple of changes (I browned the butter before adding the brown sugar, doubled the cinnamon, and added 1/2 tsp. of vanilla to the glaze). They were seriously amazing, I could not get enough! I took them to a Halloween party and they were devoured! Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Terry says:

This is sooooo good. I made it this weekend to try before Thanksgiving. Will definitely make it for the whole family when they come!

Linzie says:

I made this last night for a dinner party I had and Oh my goodness was it good! Not one person left without wanting this recipe! I used the buttermilk and LOVE the way it turned out♥ Thank you for yet another fabulous recipe :D

Lindsay says:

I made this tonight but had to substitute the pumpkin with strawberry jam and applesauce. It turned out so well! Thank you for the recipe! It is delicious!!!

Oh, and I also added peanut butter to the glaze. Changed my life. lol

kate says:

I made this it was very good, but I hate cooking with boxes of chemicals- cake mix and pudding. I’s rather make it from scratch.

Kelly says:

Wow this looks absolutely amazing, and so simple too!! Would love to make this over the weekend! :)

Sharnee Epley says:

I just made these, AMAZING! Next time, I’m going to add pumpkin pie spice to the cake mix too. Thanks Jenny!

Lori Peterson says:

These are incredible! I have already made 2 batches with requests for more! Yummy! Thank you for sharing!

Mandy says:

Made this today!! I think I might eat the whole pan myself!! Thanks for sharing!

[...] Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake. Practically all my favorite desserts, all rolled into one recipe. Fabu! [...]

Larissa says:

Made this last night – yummy!! I didn’t use a cake mix – used 2 cups flour and 1 tblsp baking powder and sub’d butter for the oil. Worked out well.
    Thanks for the good recipe!

[...] the party tonight, I think I’m going to try Picky Palate’s awesome sounding Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Cake for tomorrow’s company. Right now I’m letting some ciabatta bread rise. [...]

Carla says:

Just made this on Thursday!! It was absolutely amazing! And such a simple recipe to make! Everyone loved it, said it was their new favorite dessert! Thanks so much :)

Hannah says:

Thanks so much for the great recipe. I think this should be called “Crack Cake”. Just made it and can’t stop cutting off another little piece after another to eat!! Definitely making this for Thanksgiving.

Christina says:

These are to die for! I will definitely keep this in my favorite baking recipes, since my husband and I couldn’t get enough of it! It paired well with coffee in the morning, too. Thank you for sharing your awesomeness!

Hannah says:

So incredibly easy and good! Just baked this and now I am trying to figure out how to get it out of the house so I don’t eat it all! Delicious!

Alex says:

Just made this tonight…. Delicious! So moist…. It’s a keeper!

[...] away I have to like this recipe for Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake from Picky Palateʼs blog! Not only does the title make me hungry, but the first step is to dump [...]

Tiffany says:

These are so yummy! I would compare them to bread pudding. It’s not too sweet either.. despite all the yummy ingredients! I made them for a halloween happy hour and they were the hit of the party! I will be passing on your site to all of them.

Dena says:

I made this this morning for work…….. OH MY! I had countless rave reviews and requests for the recipe. It is divine! And it was easy! Pumpkin flavor is not strong.

dulce says:

This. Was. Delicious.

[...] Cinnamon Roll Pumpkin Vanilla Sheet Cake (Picky Palate) [...]

Dawn deAbreu says:

My friend made 2 pans of this dessert and gave one to my family! We loved it and I’m making it for dinner this Sunday with 22 family members- who will all love it as well. It takes on more of the pudding texture when served cold and a cobbler when warmed. I put a dollop of homemade whipped cream on top and served warm – yum!

[...] contemplating this recipe from the Picky Palate too…don’t they look [...]

Kristina Hepworth says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. Made it for desert tonight and it was AWESOME!!!

Karren says:

Oh my gosh I have been up way to long, this cake looks out of this world, Im hungary, my mouth is watering. Got me, Im a new follower.
    Karren