Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Oct
2011

Fall-Style Chicken Stew with Sausage and White Beans

Tags: , ,

Dinner

Fist off, Happy Halloween to everyone!  Such a fun day ahead with my boys.  Can’t wait to dive into all the festivities :)

There is not much better than a giant Dutch oven full of a piping hot stew.  The smell alone brings everyone running to the kitchen.  I love this recipe for so many reasons, I’d say mostly because it is such perfect comfort food.

I used giant Butter Beans to add to my recipe however if they freak you out (Lol) then use a regular can of white beans in its’ place.  Whatever you choose, you are sure to love this big pot of love :)

Ok, you have a few options here.  I was in the mood for using chicken breast on the bone for this recipe.  I browned it in my Dutch oven then finished it off in the oven.  The chicken is incredibly flavorful and tender…..however if you want to speed things up, use any shredded chicken you’d like :)  A rotisserie works great.

I removed the skin and shredded the chicken.

About 4 cups shredded chicken breast.  Yum!

I love this brand of sausage.  It’s all natural and my favorite to use.  Use any cooked sausage links you prefer.

Here are those giant white beans called butter beans.  They taste just like white beans but they are bigger.  I happen to love them :)

Please forgive my lack of step by step photos.  When I was preparing this recipe I had horrible light in my kitchen, so just read over the recipe this time :)

So excited for you guys to try this recipe.  It’s a big bowl of comfort food!  Enjoy!

Fall Style Chicken Stew with Sausage and Beans

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 1/2 pounds chicken breast (I used chicken on the bone)

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces

4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1 large onion, diced

12 ounces cooked sausage links, sliced

15 ounce can White Beans, drained and rinsed

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons all purpose flour

2 cups chicken broth

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Place oil into large Dutch oven over medium heat. Season each chicken breast with a pinch of salt and pepper then place into hot oil. Cook for 5 minutes each side, until golden brown. Once golden brown, place pot into oven and bake for 30 minutes, until cooked through. Remove chicken and transfer to large plate or cutting board. Let rest for 10 minutes then shred. I removed skin and just used the shredded breast.

3. Place same Dutch oven with chicken drippings over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion cooking until tender, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. I cover with lid to speed the process. Add sliced sausage and beans, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to low.

4. Place butter into a medium pot over medium heat. Once melted whisk in flour until thick and combined. Slowly add chicken broth. Will start out thick, keep whisking and slowly add remaining broth. Whisk for a good 5 minutes then transfer to pot of vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and garlic salt, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh Rosemary.

Makes 8 servings

________________________________

Love this photo of my boys on the right with their buddy at our neighborhood’s Trunk or Treat this past weekend.  The creepier the better in our house, lol!  Happy Halloween.

Have a great day!  Come back soon!

Comments

This stew looks comforting and delicious! I must try it.

Love that photo of your boys in costume!

The pictures are beautiful and I would have never guessed you had terrible lighting. I can show you terrible lighting (my kitchen!)..trust me. Your pics, as always, are beautiful! And so is the recipe.

Love your white Le Creueset, too!

Kathryn says:

This sounds delicious and perfect for autumn evenings! Your boys are too cute as well!

Lauren says:

Looks so warm and hearty! Have fun trick-or-treating tonight!

Amy says:

Great flavor combo! A good stew is always on call around here this time of the year.

jenna says:

what a cozy fall dinner. I love the combo of chicken and sausage.

Bev Weidner says:

Love. That. Stew.

I’m suiting up and jumpin’ in, m’kay?

I don’t know that I’ve made a stew before and if this is my first, it might just become a new favorite! YUM!

Perfect recipe for Halloween – warm and comforting with some FREAKY beans in it. Love it!

Beth says:

This looks delish! My husband cannot eat white beans (don’t need to go into why…). Any thoughts on a non-white bean substitute?

Beautiful stew and photos too. I make a white bean and turkey sausage stew (just regular beans though!)-I like your addition of the chicken in there for different texture and taste.

Mmmm! This stew looks heavenly!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says:

A big bowl of comfort food is right! Looks delicious. Definitely giving this tasty recipe a try.

I love Aidell’s too! I used to pulse up the sausages in the food processor, toss in bread crumbs and seasoning, and use this mixture to cover red snapper filets. Then pan sear until done, serve with aioli. I learned this from Palace Cafe in New Orleans. Yummy!

What are you talking about with the lighting?! Your pictures are beautiful! I was looking at them, and thinking now how come I can’t take pictures like that? :)

Lisa says:

Love this! I get tired of beef stew this will be a great alternative!

Jennifer says:

This looks delish! Happy Halloween to you and yours and thank you for sharing your world with us!

xoxo
    Jen

I’m going to have to try this recipe this winter! Love the photography!

Egzon says:

Dale’s words are wise. I have noticed a lot of ppleoe with blog angst lately. I myself have only been blogging for a year, and I have been worrying that I am getting boring. I’m hoping it’s just a phase. I can’t believe that twitter and facebook could have the same creative possibility as a blog, where one chooses exactly one’s own format and content. We really write for ourselves, I think. I make art (etchings, etc.) as well as my attempts at writing. I learned long ago that I would not always make a good piece of art. But when I selected some of my best to put on my blog I was pleased that I had kept going.

Kate says:

Your food always looks amazing, but where did you get those spoons? They are darling!!

Butter Beans used to freak me out, but then I cooked with them and I loooooved them lol

Your recipe looks delicious!

We eat on soup all week in our home so I’m always trying to find new recipes. I’ll have to try this on soon. Thanks for sharing!

Anna says:

Great recipe! This gave me an idea on what to do with leftover roasted chicken. My family can always guess what goes after roasted chicken…roasted chicken leftover with sweet and sour sauce. I admit, it is pretty, predictable. This time, they can’t tell I’ll be using leftover chicken. Thanks a lot!

mmm I love the photos! They make me feel like I could just dig into that stew! Saving this recipe!

Raso says:

This really looks delicious. Must try it at home.

Cheers.

I made it last night for dinner. Along with some homemade bread from my machine, it was pure heaven! And healthy, too, with all those veggies. It was so delicious, but very filling. My Hubby was a happy man after such an incredible stew for dinner. Thank you!

Ingrid says:

Hi there!
    I made it today for my friends. Can’t wait till they come and taste it!
    Thanks anyway, I love it.

Melissa says:

WOW! Just made tonight for dinner and it was de-lish! Thanks for sharing an easy, fall dinner recipe!

Wendy A. says:

Made it tonight with chicken thighs, Italian chicken sausage, cannelloni beans, a can of diced tomatoes. It turned out yummy! Served with some polenta and it was a huge hit! Thanks! P

Wow! Great recipe and fabulous costumes!

[...] Picky Palate: Fall-Style Chicken Stew with Sausage [...]

Tracy (Oklahoma) says:

Oh my! I am all about some Butter Beans! I make them often…finish them off after cooking them fresh with a little half and half and real butter. This recipe looks so delicious….can’t wait to try it!

This stew is something I could eat multiple times during the cold months. It looks as though it’s packed with flavor.

Great costumes!!! This is a perfect thing to make for lunch on a fall day. Or winter. They look great!

Monica says:

Looks SOOOO yummy!

Jen says:

Made this Halloween night and it was not only delicious but so easy to whip up (esp when you cheat with a rotisserie chicken) – thanks!

This will absolutely hit the spot! Love this recipe!

Olivia says:

We made this tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for always creating and sharing with us. It makes making dinner a breeze for me and fun too. I always know it will come out great and your beautiful photography always shows me what to expect. Thanks Jenny!

jmurphyball says:

So I used this recipe, but I made it in my crockpot and it turned out great! I combined all of the fresh ingredients the night before and tossed in the fridge. Popped it into the cooker in the AM and let it go all day. Came home and made the roux (butter/flour mixture) and added that to the crockpot. It turned out great and was amazingly easy!

Lisa Brillon says:

I made this last night…it was amazing! My husband said “you better make this again” lol. My only suggestion/comment is on the sausage. I love the flavor but found it a bit salty for my taste. Will definitely be making this again. Thanks for all your wonderful recipes :)

[…] chicken stew recipes: La Fuji Mama’s Slow Cooker Chicken Gohan Stew Picky Palate’s Fall-Style Chicken Stew with Sausage & White Beans She Simmer’s Persian Pomegranate Walnut Chicken Stew Sunday Baker’s Garden Harvest Chicken […]