Dec
2011

Cinnamon Roll Swirled Gingerbread Bars with Toffee Chips

Tags:

Cookies

Christmas baking makes me so happy.  There is nothing like the sweet smell of gingerbread baking in your oven, I’m telling you, it’s the best!

I just love these little bars I whipped up earlier this week.  This is my first recipe coming from our new home!  I am still getting unpacked, but it’s so great to start fresh in a fun new neighborhood.

Hope you will enjoy my sweet Holiday bars that are perfect for any Christmas plate for family and friends.  Have a great day!  xoxo

Here’s your line up.  Please picture a bag of Toffee Chips that I left out :)

Flour, baking powder, salt and that fabulous molasses!

Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger…oh my!

Add them all to the bowl!

I love using my little nutmeg grater, but you can always use ground nutmeg if needed.

Give a little mix.

Time for the egg and molasses!

Pour in your buttermilk :)

Time to mix!

Add your toffee chips and mix.

Pour into your prepared pan.

Time for the cinnamon roll swirl.

Get your swirl on…..then bake for about 30 minutes.

Time for the drizzle, yum….

Double yum :)  Enjoy friends!

Cinnamon Roll Swirled Gingerbread Bars with Toffee Chips

3/4 cup all purpose flour

3/4 tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (or ground nutmeg will work too)

1/4 cup molasses

1 large egg

3/4 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup toffee chips (optional)

4 tablespoons melted butter

1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup powdered sugar

3-4 tablespoons heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line an 8×8 inch baking pan with foil or parchment that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, molasses, egg, and buttermilk. Mix until well combined. Stir in toffee chips. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to melted butter, stirring to combine. Drizzle over top of batter and run a knife through to swirl throughout. Bake for 28-33 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from oven. Place powdered sugar and heavy cream into a medium mixing bowl, mix until a nice drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm bars. Let cool completely then cut into bars (a plastic knife works wonders….no sticking!)

Makes 9-12 bars

_______________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

Comments

I love ginger and molasses things and I havent had any of either yet this season…whoops! I love the looks of these. And the frosting…mmm, delish, Jenny!

Kathryn says:

So awesome Jenny, these look amazing!

I love everything about these bars!

Clare says:

the yum factor of this is outrageous.

these are so beautiful! when you do Christmas baking it makes me happy too :)

These look so good and your nutmeg grater is the cutest thing ever! I love freshly grated nutmeg.

I’m pretty sure salivating like Pavlov’s dog is a sign I’ll be making this!

Oo la la, aren’t your swirls beautiful?! These sound like a total flavor explosion – yum!

Amber, RD says:

Those look beautiful and sound delicious! I love how light and bright your kitchen is. My husband and I just moved to a few months ago. Our new kitchen is nice (love the brand new appliances!) but there is only one small window and the counters are dark green and the woodwork is dark. Not the best environment for pictures!

K, I have to ask. Where did you get your glass milk bottle? So stinking cute!!

Bev Weidner says:

oooooomygosh. freaking. nom. city.

These sound awesome! Saigon cinnamon? whole nutmeg? I need to try these.

donna says:

I am making this today! Looks so good. Luv toffee, molasses, and ginger. Together what a great combo!

Georgia says:

I want to buy one of those nutmeg graters! How cute.

Emily says:

These sounds amazing! Will definitely be adding these bars to my Christmas Cookie line up this year!

Cindy says:

Oh, I can almost smell these! They look divine. Shew! Thanks for the post. Can’t wait to try them.

(Just why aren’t you 500+ pounds!)

Cindy

Erin says:

I am loving all the gingerbread recipes! I have never craved it as much as I do this year.

jackie says:

I am making these now. Yummy!

Kristen says:

I have one of those mini graters but never use it. This made me want to run out for whole nutmeg just to put it to use. :) This will definitely be at my next family Sunday brunch.

Maureen says:

These look just like your pumpkin ones you made in the Fall…I loved those, so I’m sure I will love these, I have to try making them!

Marty says:

Your new kitchen and new neighborhood are definitely lucky to get to try these babies. They sound delicious! I’ve been crazy about gingerbread flavored anything these day. Thanks for the recipe.

These look unbelievable! What a great way to break in your new kitchen. YUM!

When I read the title I was sold! So many wonderful flavors all in one dessert! Congratulations on your first dessert in your new home :)

Dalia says:

Hi can you please advise me on a substitution for the 3/4 cup buttermilk. Thanks!

I’ve been waiting to make something with gingerbread other than the house, this looks great!

Erin says:

This made my mouth water. Thank you for sharing!

[...] Recipe source and picture tutorial. Thank you! Ingredients: (for an 8×8 pan) 3/4 cup all purpose flour 3/4 tablespoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ginger 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1/4 cup molasses (table or “fancy” molasses works best, do NOT use blackstrap) 1 large egg 3/4 cup buttermilk 1/2 cup toffee chips (optional, but not really. It’s important. Use Skor bits if you’re Canadian, Heath bits if you’re American.) 4 tablespoons melted butter 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon [...]

[...] Cinnamon Roll Swirled Gingerbread bars with Toffee Chips by Picky Palate [...]

Kathryn says:

Jenny – My mom and I made these last week, and they were absolutely delicious! However, we found that the toffee chips sank, making a delightfully delicious yet sticky mess in the bottom of the pan. Our batter looked much thinner than your picture does, so we might try using a bit more flour next time, hoping to firm up the batter and give the chips a chance to bake in. Even with the messy toffee, the recipe was a hit!

oh my, this looks insane. never heard of bars as such. i love that it only has 4 tbsp of butter, I try and make reduced fat desserts. :-) I’m in love with your blog.

[...] Cinnamon Roll Swirled Gingerbread Bars with Toffee Chips from Picky Palate [...]

[…] pumpkin. Make me some gingerbread cinnamon roll toffee […]